• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Care to guess a grade

10 posts in this topic

Before anyone says something about my photo taking abilities, that's a skill I haven't acquired yet. Although the picture doesn't show it the reverse has a prooflike quality to it. Anyone care to offer a grade based on these pictures.

morgan21.jpg

morgan212.jpg

morgan213.jpg

morgan214.jpg

Unfortunately, there are many problems with this coin. Given a net grade, I would probably call it EF-40 tops.

The huge scratch in front of her face is an immediate turnoff - but I am more concerned with the surfaces of this coin. Unfortunately, this coin looks to have been whizzed. At first I thought it might be fingerprints, but they just don't look right.

The images make it very difficult to estimate a grade, but although it appears UNC or close to it, something does not seem right about the surface quality. I have reservations about this coin.

No, the areas I'm talking about are still present in your scanned picture. Look behind her head in the field between her cap and the M. Also, look on her cheek and neck. On the reverse, look in the field between the eagle's head and "trust." These areas all look the same - with the parallel lines. This looks like a whizzing from the pictures.

1921 Morgan dollars are wierd coins. The S mints are the worst, but the other two are not far behind. Some of them have had die polishing that makes them resemble silver rounds.

I'm going to assume that this coin has not been cleaned or whizzed. Given that I'd say that the grade falls between AU-55 and MS-62. It sure can't go any higher than MS-62 given the big scratch in the left field.

No, the areas I'm talking about are still present in your scanned picture. Look behind her head in the field between her cap and the M. Also, look on her cheek and neck. On the reverse, look in the field between the eagle's head and "trust." These areas all look the same - with the parallel lines. This looks like a whizzing from the pictures.
I see nothing to indicate whizzing, and in fact, if the coin had been whizzed I don't think it would display those areas, which appear to be hazy.

Edited to add: The coin looks somewhere between an AU58 and an MS61 to me and I'm wondering if it might have PVC on it.