• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guess the grade on this 1795 FH Dollar.

49 posts in this topic

This coin will be submitted to PCGS for a cross.

Guess the grade of this coin. Notice the good details on the left wing and the lack of details on the ring wing. Do you think that was a strike issue, post your opinion?

After enough responses I will post the grade given to this coin from the TPG, and the minimum grade I will list when I send it to PCGS.

This is a scanned picture.

81306.jpg.69dc2f2cf33868cc1b52376eaccb06c0.jpg

81307.jpg.647b2e19e822752b49d68150002db6b9.jpg

I am going to go with VF 20. I think it has just enough detail to make it. And I would put a min of 15.

If the coin is problem free and you are certain, then crack it then send.

Assuming you (through PCGS) are grading by type and not die-marriage, then this is a lock VG-10 with limited F-12 consideration. In lower grades like this, the pickup-point for grading are Liberty's eyeball, and the condition of the rims. There is not quite enough central detail on Liberty's tresses nor the eagle's breast feathers to suggest a "fine" grade, though you never know with TPGs ;) .

I would grade it F, although I would like it a bit darker than it appears in these pics. It might just be the lighting (I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt), but in these pics it looks to have been cleaned. Its certainly very market acceptable, though, and will grade with no problems at all.

I would grade it F, although I would like it a bit darker than it appears in these pics. It might just be the lighting (I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt), but in these pics it looks to have been cleaned. Its certainly very market acceptable, though, and will grade with no problems at all.

It has a dove gray color and appears to be original. It does not have that shinny dipped look at all.

It has a dove gray color and appears to be original. It does not have that shinny dipped look at all.

:thumbsup:

Its probably just the lighting then. I like it :)

I'd grade it Fine-12.

It has the light gray color which unfortunately might lead some to say that it has been "done" (dipped). I hope that does not cause you any problems.

I'd grade it Fine-12.

It has the light gray color which unfortunately might lead some to say that it has been "done" (dipped). I hope that does not cause you any problems.

I would be a fool to say that the coin was never dipped ,however it does look original.

The color of the coin from what I have seen with other FH Dollars is definitely market acceptable .

I'm going to say... VG Looking at the rim of the coin it does seem to possibly have a strike issue. Almost looks a hair off center.

This coin will be submitted to PCGS for a cross.

Guess the grade of this coin. Notice the good details on the left wing and the lack of details on the ring wing. Do you think that was a strike issue, post your opinion?

After enough responses I will post the grade given to this coin from the TPG, and the minimum grade I will list when I send it to PCGS.

This is a scanned picture.

Looks like a F-15. Soft strike in the centers, as is so often seen on these.

ICG gave this a VF 30 – A little bit on the generous side !! :o . I have seen coins that look like this one in F 15 – VF 25 holders from NGC and PCGS. I will submit it with a minimum of VF 20 which I think is the proper grade taking strike softness into consideration. When I bought the coin I had VF 20 in mind for the grade and paid approximately an F 15 wholesale price just to be on the safe side.

Depending on how the graders interpret the strike that will determine if I get the VF20. The coin is otherwise problem free with a nice surface and only minimal marks.

81323.jpg.e0ad44a612765d27d862ed2cae873885.jpg

when i first saw your coin i knew immediately it was a bb 27 most all 1795 flowing hair dollars are bb27 as you can see behind the hair in the left obv field the big die scratch raised as it is deep in the die so it is raised when the coin is struck

now this particular coin happens to be the really super duper high relief head and also the hair on the head sits above the edges of thecoin as the coin has no raised rims

and because of metal flow the coin when struck looked xf ..... beacuse of the again metal flow and both high points of the rev and obv are opposite each other and also the HEAD OF THE COIN IS IN EXTREMELY HIGH RELIEF AND SITS ABOVE THE RIMS

so it looks vg10 but actuaLLY has wear of a vf

i cant see the coin in hand but it is monster dipped many many many years ago and nicely retoned and/or liver of sulfured retoned many moons ago to get this decent looking but somewaht unnaturally SHINY IRIDESCENT grey patina on the coin

BUT IT IS TOTALLY MARKET ACCEPTABLE TO ME AND LOOKS GOOD TO ME FROM THE PHOTO

but as far as eye appeal goes if inhand there are not hairlines on the coin or iridescence i think the eye appeal is above average

a guesstimate just from the wear and the way the coin looks at least vf 20+ but again with pcgs who the hell knows??

good luck with it and please keep me informed when it comes back

from the photos and again in hand might be different but it does look like it has moderate wipe mark across miss liberties face/cheek

here is my guesstimate from the photo andagain inhand it might be totally different

a slight chance pcgs will put this ina genuine holder

a better than slight chance vf20-25

and again anything is popssible with pcgs

here is my guesstimate from the photo andagain inhand it might be totally different

a slight chance pcgs will put this ina genuine holder

and again anything is popssible with pcgs

(thumbs u

Michael I appreciate you post , that was the type of information I was looking for .

I knew their had to be a reason that ICG would grade this as high as a VF 30.

I will not rule out a long ago dip but I do not think it was wiped. My understanding is the TPGS are somewhat liberal towards this anyway for this series of coin. I did have an esteemed member of this board check this coin out for me prior to purchase, it was given the green light. :/ Do you think I should send this off to NGC rather then PCGS ?

NGC seems just a bit more forgiving with this series.

VF-30 :o WHOA!

It did occur to me after my previous post that this is probably a scan, so it's quite possible the coin is a tad more detailed in hand. I had suggested previously that slight consideration for F-12 was possible, but it could even be probable if the image is in fact a scan that's suppressing some finer detail.

At any rate, VF-30 seems definitely too high to me, scanned image or not.

By the way, without question, I would go NGC on this and require an EdgeView holder. Bust dollars were simply meant to have their third side visible.

ICG gave this a VF 30 – A little bit on the generous side !! :o . I have seen coins that look like this one in F 15 – VF 25 holders from NGC and PCGS. I will submit it with a minimum of VF 20 which I think is the proper grade taking strike softness into consideration. When I bought the coin I had VF 20 in mind for the grade and paid approximately an F 15 wholesale price just to be on the safe side.

Depending on how the graders interpret the strike that will determine if I get the VF20. The coin is otherwise problem free with a nice surface and only minimal marks.

This second image gives me a completely different idea od the coin, and I think VF20-25 is likely at PCGS.

with this first earlydollar 1794-1795 and really to me a "one year type coin" as the other coin with the 1794 date looking like this is easily a 175k coin $175,000.00

again a 1794 looking like this coin so again for me sort of a one year type coin lol

you NEED IT!!!!!!!!!

and it is our first dollar coin and large and flowing hair that everyone needs for type

sexy also

it would be federal law that every collector would need to own one of these if it was up to me!!!!

i think a coin like this coin does not matter the holder pcgs ngc PERSONALLY I WOULD LIKE THE EDGEVIEW NGC HOLDER BETTER

and as james early us suggested !!!!!!! I TOTALLY AGREE i would love to see this in an edgeview ngc holder as seeing the edge would be way cool and also enhance the coin in anyones eyes

A COIN admirer; and even a future buyer (thumbs u i think would like this coin better in an edgeview holder

NOW REMEMBER NGC IS CURRENTLY ON A bodybag kick

so dont be too surprised if it comes back bodybagged/NCS HOLDER but then off to pcgs

so i guess for me the choice is already made for you

if itis meant to be in an ngc holder it will come back graded by ngc if not then off to pcgs

good luck and please keep me and everyone informed

and yes again james early us idea is a great!! idea

off to ngc!!

YOUR MOST WELcome

good so i am happy it is not wiped then this is even more positive news

please let usall know on here what and where you deside to send this coin to to get it graded

dont bother cracking the coin out just send it in already in the icg holder and asking ngc/pcgs to crack it out and cross at any grade

The color looks better on the second image. I think that this coin would get a VF-20 from PCGS, but in the old days, it was a Fine-15 or 12.

I have decided to send this to NGC in the ICG holder with a minimum of VF 20.

I do not want to risk the coin grading below VF20 or getting bagged because someone is having a bad day. Also for the extra few buck I will have it attributed.

I have a Bust Half I need to send of to NGC for a re holder and attribution so I thought it best to send both. I also like the idea of this coin in an Edge View.

If NGC does not grade it I will hang onto the coin until Coin Fest and then submit it in person to PCGS . At least I would save on the postage and Insurance.

I do agree the 1795 is a must have for the serious collector of older coins. I know wwhen I was a kid I wanted one of these but no way could I afford it . When I started collecting again last year I had my eye on many but never pulled the trigger.

With the market soft I thought now was a good time to get one.

What would be a fair price to pay for one of these in VG-F in a geniune holder with a minor problem? I would love to add one of these to my collection but I think that any problem free coin would be out of my price range.

I have decided to send this to NGC in the ICG holder with a minimum of VF 20.

I do not want to risk the coin grading below VF20 or getting bagged because someone is having a bad day.

good choice!! a win win situation

What would be a fair price to pay for one of these in VG-F in a geniune holder with a minor problem? I would love to add one of these to my collection but I think that any problem free coin would be out of my price range.

TWO LEAVES IS THE SCARCER VARIETY SO WE WILL BE LOOKING FOR THREE LEAVES FOR YOU; PRICE WISE does not matter now how to tell the 2 vs. three leaves but you will look for a more available three leaves variety

lets forget about a pcgs genunie holder damaged coin

let us say you find a nice flowing hair dollar THREE LEAVES in a fine 12-15 holder as anything below will not be really attractive and usually below fine are not only ugly but problematic

okie hdere goes;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

fine-15 1795 flowing hair dollar THREE LEAVES

in a pcgs or ngc

and it is decent eye appeal with good surfaces full rims and no adjustment marks

around $3600.00

okie lets say you find a really nice eye appealling problem free flowing hair dollar THREE LEAVES in a vg-10 pcgs/ngc holder this would be really rare to find in my opinion

around $3100.00

the coin is a huge demand coin so it has a really high basil value in other words the coin sells for thousands in lower circ. grades

even if by some MIRACLE you find a graded flowing hair dollar pcgs/ngc in a good 6 holder and is *problem free *with *great color* and *surfaces* you will still pay at least $2100.00 IF NOT MORE if IF!! you can find one which i doubt

I agree with the others that it is a F-12, with a possibility of a F-15, and I don't believe it's been cleaned.

Nice coin!