• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1852 Gold $20.00 piece grade & approx. value ?

20 posts in this topic

Hello coin guys !

Just aquired this gold coin from our last estate sale as well as 100 or so 1820-1838 Indian/Buffalo nickels. Anything to look for on the nickels ? And what about this $20.00 coin ?

Thanks !

Brian ~

123aaap038.jpg

123aaap037.jpg

Hello coin guys !

Just aquired this gold coin from our last estate sale as well as 100 or so 1820-1838 Indian/Buffalo nickels. Anything to look for on the nickels ? And what about this $20.00 coin ?

Thanks !

Brian ~

123aaap038.jpg

123aaap037.jpg

*And a 1909 $ 2 1/2 small gold piece ?

123aaap039.jpg

123aaap041.jpg

Can you provide some larger and sharper images?

Yes , I can try , but can you tell me anything about it ? I have the opportunity to purchase it before sale starts . Our worker's had put $1000.00 on it and $250 on the other one , however , I'm not sure how much research they did on current mkt. conditions?

Thanks !

B~

Yes , I can try , but can you tell me anything about it ? I have the opportunity to purchase it before sale starts . Our worker's had put $1000.00 on it and $250 on the other one , however , I'm not sure how much research they did on current mkt. conditions?

Thanks !

B~

There is a LOT of counterfeit gold out there and I would not want to advise buying such coins unless I could get a better look at them - sorry. And if you don't know values you should avoid it, regardless.

I don't know if the scan is just not doing the $20 double eagle any good but the stars a face look pretty worn & so does the reverse in places I'd give it a Fine Cond. & value of not even $1,000 & as for the 1909 I'm going to go with a Very Fine, but the scan again comes into question & on the scan on the 2&1/2 looks like 1908 for the date either way 1909 or 1908 doesn't even break $180.

I don't know if the scan is just not doing the $20 double eagle any good but the stars a face look pretty worn & so does the reverse in places I'd give it a Fine Cond. & value of not even $1,000 & as for the 1909 I'm going to go with a Very Fine, but the scan again comes into question & on the scan on the 2&1/2 looks like 1908 for the date either way 1909 or 1908 doesn't even break $180.

This is an old estate of acquaintances that my wife grew up with so I would take my chances on the authenticity , however , I was just curious if either of these happen to be more desirable/rare above guide for any particular reason. It sounds as if not.

Thank you very much for the input !

Is there any point going through Indian/Buffalo nickels from this period? The only one I've ever heard of looking for is the 3 legged one ?

Thanks again !

B~

This is an old estate of acquaintances that my wife grew up with so I would take my chances on the authenticity , however , I was just curious if either of these happen to be more desirable/rare above guide for any particular reason. It sounds as if not.

Thank you very much for the input !

Is there any point going through Indian/Buffalo nickels from this period? The only one I've ever heard of looking for is the 3 legged one ?

Thanks again !

B~

Just FYI, I do believe the 3 legged Buffalo was on the 1936D & 1937D & really there is nothing special that jumps out on the gold that makes them worth more.

This is an old estate of acquaintances that my wife grew up with so I would take my chances on the authenticity.....
Many honest people end up with counterfeit coins and/or sell them without being aware of it.

I would not bid even face value on the double eagle without better images, there are so many Chinese counterfeits out there and even that might be generous!

From what I can see, the 1852 double eagle does not look genuine ot me. The surfaces are rough and the wear does not look natural. I think that it is a poorly done cast counterfiet. As for the $2.50, the pictures are too small to make a judgement.

Here's close-up of the $2.50

123aaap-1.jpg

123aaap001-1.jpg

And the Double Eagle.. It certainly is heavy , BTW...

123aaap003-2.jpg

123aaap002-1.jpg

Well , I don't know if those pics are any better ?

I saw a Type 3 One dollar gold piece at a fleamarket the other day. It was marked at $118. It had the same overall look as that double eagle. I ran far, far away.

I've never seen a worn double eagle where the stars are that far gone, usually the stars stay fairly prominent even with wear down to F/VF. Just look at the lettering on the reverse, the stars on the obverse should be as easy to see as it is to read the lettering. But it looks like only 6 of the 13 are even visible. It could be a cast copy based on a poor cast of a circulated example. I would look at the detail in the lettering and dentils, and look for a seam around the edge. Based on those photos I don't think it's real, even though it might be gold. Have you weighed it?

Well after those pictures, those coins do look a little "suspect" it is to hard to say about autenticity through pictures. I'll go back to an old quote " Beauty is in the eye of the beholder". And if you haven't bought them yet, take them to local coin dealer that is reliable.

Well after those pictures, those coins do look a little "suspect" it is to hard to say about autenticity through pictures. I'll go back to an old quote " Beauty is in the eye of the beholder". And if you haven't bought them yet, take them to local coin dealer that is reliable.

Thank you . I'll weigh in AM . I believe my wife wants to keep them in our estate sale starting tomorrow , unless I , or an acquaintance of mine has an interest ?

Thanks !

Thanks !

B~

There is a LOT of counterfeit gold out there and I would not want to advise buying such coins unless I could get a better look at them - sorry. And if you don't know values you should avoid it, regardless.

Especially the 2 1/2 quarter eagle indians...

The $20 gold piece just doesn't look right to me.

Be very careful about buying raw gold

Like stinkycheese said, be VERY careful about buying raw gold, some of the Chinese stuff is really well done and fools a lot of people.

I bought an exceptional 1908 $5 Liberty gold from an old friend that NGC flagged as a fake. We're still friends too!