• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

British Token Congress

12 posts in this topic

Who's going to the British token congress next week in Seattle?

My wife and I will be spending the week in Seattle, enjoying a well deserved vacation. Looking forward to seeing some great Conder tokens, and some members from the boards and ATS.

I'd love to be there but it's just too costly for me to attend. Especially after three consecutive weekends of coin shows. Frankly, I'm broke. Happy and sick, but broke. So have a good time farthing and buy up all the bargains.

The Congress ended a few hours ago - had a wonderful time! Was pleased to be able to meet and converse at length with yarm. Met Jerry Bobbe, Larry Gaye, Bill McKivor and Gary Sriro all for the first time - each has been the source of a number of tokens in my collection.

Got to hold in my hands the horribly sliced up Orchard Hertfordshire Sawbridgeworth penny that Peter Preston-Morley (DNW) brought with him as part of his talk on the history and census of these tokens.

Eight members from the UK were present along with 1 person from Canada. Baldwins was also present with a large number of tokens from their upcoming sale (May 26) available for viewing.

Talks were presented by Jon Lusk (MI), Jeff Rock (CA), Jerry Bobbe (OR), Stuart Adams (Essex), Allan Davisson (MN), Dr. Richard Doty (Washington DC), Frank Gorsler (OH), David Jones (Reading Berks), Peter Preston-Morley (London), Bill McKivor (WA), Gary Oddie (Cambridgeshire), Duncan Pennock (Kent), Gawain O'Connor (WA), George Selgin (GA), Michael Wehner (CA), and Marc Duvall (WA).

All-in-all a fine start to what hopefully will be an annual event. Apparently 2 people have expressed interest in organizing next years conference somewhere on the east coast.

I did pick up a few nice bits. I came here hoping to pick up 1-2 high grade and/or rare penny tokens. Only saw one offered - a Dudley penny. I ended up with 5 farthings - Angusshire #39bis and #41 as well as Middlesex 1095a and 1099, each ex. Cokayne, the 1099 was also ex. Norman. These were from Alan Davisson and each was UNC. The fifth farthing was a Surrey Lambeth #17 - a sweet chocolate brown XF+ from Gary Sriro and my first token from Surrey.

There were a goodly number of tokens just on display - not for sale. One gentleman's displayed collection would have blown your mind - it did mine and yarm's!

What a nice event! The presence of the British contingent added a delightful flavor to the talks and the conversations around breaks and meals (which were excellent!)

A few of the Baldwins lots were of interest to me but I came to realize that there were more gorgeous tokens in the cases of the assembled group than in the upcoming auction! I'll post my acquistions as soon as I can get them photographed.

Gawd, I'm envious. I really wanted to go to this event, but I couldn't swing the expense to do so. Oh well, one of these days maybe it will be held in the midwest.

I'm anxious to see pics of the acquisitions.

Was Gary Sriro selling his disc?

Gary has not yet begun selling his CD again. I believe that he and his wife have finally purchased a house and will be soon moving their belongings in from storage. Once he is settled in he said that he will begin selling CDs once more.