• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1798 Large cents

10 posts in this topic

Hi all . finally got my lot of 1798 large cents from eBay and i was just wondering if anyone Fancy's a go at the grades since i have scanned the coins now .. also do you think they would grade on my free submissions (shrug)

Coin 1:

17981.jpg17981r.jpg

Good reverse die crack

17981r-1.jpg

Coin 2:

17982.jpg1111.jpg

Cheers all .

I think that they should get a grade, but you will only get an AG-03 on the first and a FR-02 on the second. If the grading is loser, you can add one point to each piece.

I agree with Bill Jones on both grades.

I remember identifying the variety of the first one, but the second one I just couldn't see enough of. Maybe now with the better shots, I could give it another try. No promises though, there are a bunch of 1798's with type 1 hair. In my very humble opinion, I think the first one would grade. The second one, with the numerous scratches in the bow area, the green spot and the chink at 1:00 obverse, (not to mention the wear) I think I would save that submission for another coin.

Going to my Sheldon book now to see if anything jumps out at me for your second coin's variety. If I get lucky, I'll report back.

RI AL

Cheers lads great information as usual .. it would be nice to have one graded for my type set .. also have you seen the different sizes to the Number 8 .. ? is that normal with this date ?

HI, Dooly.

Didn't have much to work on on the second coin but I THINK I may have it identified as to variety. This is based on placement of the berries, how long the stems of the berries are (if any), the C in CENT touching the leaves to the left and the partially covered base of the T in CENT. Now the issues with the C and T in Cent are fairly common, but add in the berries and what I THINK is the fairly short fraction bar, and I came up with S-187. I Struggled with 186 and 181 as possibilities but from what I can see, it's an S-187. As always, if anyone out there can help to correct me, I would be most grateful because I really don't like to give out bad information!! Anyway, it is a Rarity-1 or common, actually, the most common 1798 cent according to Sheldon.

Now, here's the problem. The obverse of the 1798 has a very fine die crack through TY in LIBERTY extending downward toward the drapery. I don't see that on your coin but it might be just too worn. Your coin has a little blob at the rim directly in front of the nose and the photo in Sheldon shows a "blob" too...though somewhat bigger. There are other diagnostic features on the obverse that are not visible on your coin but again, wear may be a factor.

Well, that's the best I can do. Hope someone will jump in and correct me if I'm off.

RI AL....hope I'm right on this one...it was a challenge...but I'm not feeling 100% comfortable. :(

FR-02 and PR-01...with a bit more flatten but visable detail the 2nd would go FR-02, and on a good day you might luck out with a AG-03 on the first

coin number one is a no brainer even with my eyes closed i can see it is the sheldon -166 took me all of 2 seconds to figure out

the whisker variety see under the neck and also the die break you outlined

also.......................

oh i just saw this thread never saw it when it was on the first page SUPER COOL THREAD BY THE WAY (thumbs u

okie also..... the s-166 is the most common of all the 1798 large cents but it is a really cool variety and i think it once was? a red book variety but it is not currently

and of course type 2 hair 1798 veriety

what is really interesting about the 1798 s-166 is that mosyt all of the coins no matter waht they grade come usually come below average to scudsy

i do not know why but for me a nice circulated 1798 s-166 type 2 hair draped busat large cent is not only way cool but really SCARCE with average surfaces let alone avg+ surfaces!! vg and above

nice pick up there if i do say so myself

(thumbs u

i think every large cent collector needs the whisker 1798s-166 large cent

really sexy :cloud9: