• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

For Those Who Just Ordered the UHR 2009 Saint-Gaudens ...

372 posts in this topic

Lets see, I ordered within the first 30 min of start 200 orders past jtryka and it doesn't look like my coin will make delivery in time for the Early Release cutoff 3/9. Is NGC taking the delay into consideration? There could be very few ER labels. rantrant

Do you really need the ER label.....I don't think it will increase the value!!

You don't know very much about the situation, then.

eBayers go crazy for Frist Strike and Early Release. So few people have their coins in hand, that the First Strike/ER deadline is fast approaching and not many coins may meet the deadline.

Lets see, I ordered within the first 30 min of start 200 orders past jtryka and it doesn't look like my coin will make delivery in time for the Early Release cutoff 3/9. Is NGC taking the delay into consideration? There could be very few ER labels. rantrant

You don't know very much about the situation, then.

eBayers go crazy for Frist Strike and Early Release. So few people have their coins in hand, that the First Strike/ER deadline is fast approaching and not many coins may meet the deadline.

I know about this but I still think it is CRAZY!!

I will probably keep it as long as I can and do not care that much. My experiece is that the ER does seem to add value( for the label collectors?).

I know I'm gonna make some folks angry with this post, but what the heck, I have before and this is how I feel.

My coin arrived yesterday. It felt like that gag where they put a teeny tiny gift into a series of boxes inside a bigger box- that's my impression of the coin. it looks like a quarter inside a giant wood box.

You need an electron microscope to see the design and for my money the fine details of the st gauden's motif looks "chunky" cause they're so small.

The mint doesn't publish the size and specs on their web site (at least not where I could find them) so you have to find this info on a third party seller's web site.

It's supposed to commemorate the original high-relief st gaudens, so I never imagined it would be so much smaller than the original.

Duh, I should have put 2+2 together that the difference is the gold - 22 vs 24 carat.

I guess I'll keep one for the sake of having it, but it doesn't come close to the original.

They should have made it full size.

I know I'm gonna make some folks angry with this post, but what the heck, I have before and this is how I feel.

My coin arrived yesterday. It felt like that gag where they put a teeny tiny gift into a series of boxes inside a bigger box- that's my impression of the coin. it looks like a quarter inside a giant wood box.

You need an electron microscope to see the design and for my money the fine details of the st gauden's motif looks "chunky" cause they're so small.

The mint doesn't publish the size and specs on their web site (at least not where I could find them) so you have to find this info on a third party seller's web site. It was supposed to commemorate the original high-relief st gaudens, so I never imagined it would be so much smaller than the original.

Duh, I should have put 2+2 together that the difference is the gold - 22 vs 24 carat.

I guess I'll keep one for the sake of having it, but it doesn't come close to the original.

They should have made it full size.

You haven't done your reading on this coin. The coin is a modern replica of the original, not the one that was made for circulation. The original was two eagle planchets stacked on top of each other so it would be extra-thick and hence have very high relief. The strikes made for circulation - even the first Roman numeral high-relief wire-rim ones - were reduced relief and on a different planchet, the prior customary double eagle planchet.

I don't think the 90% gold vs. 100% gold will make a difference, though, since both coins are 1 oz. Not 1 oz. gold, 1 oz. total. (Note that this last paragraph is posted while I'm at work without references in front of me so someone should verify that.)

Astrostu is right, this coin was modeled after an experimental coin that was the diameter of the $10 but twice the thickness. I beleive there are only 2 in existence and both are in the Smithsonian. I agree with Bob-a-loo though, it's less than what I expected, but still a very nice coin, probably the nicest thing the mint has produced since the original.

I didn't know about the experimental coin it emulates. Indeed it is gorgeous. I just would have liked it to be larger even if I had to pay more. Still, it's nice to see the mint is putting out nicer products like this and the Buffalo Gold as well.

I didn't know about the experimental coin it emulates. Indeed it is gorgeous. I just would have liked it to be larger even if I had to pay more. Still, it's nice to see the mint is putting out nicer products like this and the Buffalo Gold as well.

Larger and pay more? Here you go :o

http://apmex.com/milliondollarcoin/Default.aspx

MM

I'm starting to doubt that my order will ever be filled. I ordered on the first day and got back an email that it would shipped in February 6. Then I got an email that said February 18 and then one that said February 20. Now it's the end of February, and I have never gotten another email to indicate when the item will be shipped. And the mint now no longer maintains its on-line order tracking feature. The only way to find out anything is to call them. We all know what kind of service you get over the phone.

I don't care about "first strike" or "first release" or any of that foolishness. I'd just like to get a coin, but right now that is looking doubtful. How do you want to bet that they are not filling the orders because the gold price went up? That's what's a foot here.

All you people who the government to run your life should look at the kind of service you get when you interact with it.

Well at least you got an email for March 6. I've got nothing. I'll have to call on Monday to see what is going on if anything. I'll bet they'll say I never placed an order, which means I'll have to order again at a higher price.

I really hate dealing with the mint, but the only thing dealers sell is certified coins, which I don't want or cull raw coins that won't grade MS-69 or 70.

For what it's worth

I ordered at about 4pm THE DAY AFTER they went on sale.

Got mine already AND shipped to NGC.

B

:frustrated:

Good to know. Thanks for sharing that bit of information. I guess it doesn't make much difference when you ordered the coin.

Very annoying. Waited up until 2am here for them to go on sale. Took 30 mins of frustration to get the order in

And someone who ordered a day later gets their coin first and can have Early Releases on their pretty slab.

I hate you US Mint.

I have been loosly following the monster thread ATS, though I haven't read any of it since last Friday so I may not be up on the latest rumors. It seems that there is a likely cause of the delivery delay and order, though some of this is speculation.

The free books that come with the coin were delivered to the mint with problems that weren't discovered right away. The delivery was delayed until they could figure out how they wanted to handle the situation. They then decided to go ahead and ship the coins starting last week and send the books later after they get replacements. Apparently they had already packed up the early orders with books and had them ready to ship. These early orders now have to be unpacked to remove the book and repacked. Rather than delay delivery of everyone elses coins they started shipping the later coins that had not already been packed with the book.

This scenario seems plausable and explains why the early orders and not getting shipped and the later orders are already being delivered. Please feel free to add any more speculation and ranting as you see fit.

I ordered mine mid-afternoon of the second day they were on sale and just received it last friday. I'm fairly new collecting and my question is this: Is it worth the effort to ship it off, immediately so it is received by March 9, to get it designated "Early Release"? Does the early release designation add any real value to the coin? It looks like NGC requires that you submit coins for early release designation under the Modern Special Tier for special labeling and require a minimum of 5 coins. The UHR is the only one I currently have that requires this tier. If I submitted 4 additional coins along with it, would that fulfill the minimum requirement? Any quidance you pros could give this neophyte would be greatly appreciated.

I will not address the pricing and tier packaging as others here can answer that, but as far as getting it as an "early release", I would say yes. Because of the slow shipping problems, there may not be very many such UHRs. Truly, with most US Mint products, first strike and early release are more gimmicky than actual "first strike", but from a future selling standpoint, it could ensure a greater value.

BoydB there is no limit on the UHR you can send it by itself, on Modern Special

And yeah get it in there ! Early Releases will be quite a limited edition for these, and plenty of people will pay a bit more for them. Good luck !

Excellent. Hope mine is out any day, I might actually get ER by having it postmarked in time. Last couple of days before the window closes on me forever :( definitely NOT paying a stupid premium, I really wanted to have it this time, a very special coin

Thank god for NGC having a special label regardless though.. some compensation. More importantly, just need it to be a 70 !!

Just got my shipping notice, ordered within 30 mins of sales open.

UPS says its out for delivery!

Sadly, my Brother hasn't heard a peep, and he ordered about 45 mins after I did. :(