• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Trivia Question (Early Dollars)

13 posts in this topic

The 1803 date has 5 collectible varieties, excluding the proof restrike.

1. Which of the non-proof varieties is NOT collectible? (There is no confirmation of its existance.)

2. Which variety is the sole representative of the Large 3 Red Book variety? What is its most obvious diagnostic, assuming that you can't differentiate between a Large 3 and a Small 3?

3. Which of the non-proof varieties is the rarest? According to the JRCS, what is its true rarity rating? (This is important because the Reiver book has the wrong rating for this variety.)

Please express all answers involving varieties using either BB or Bol numbers.

EVP

1. Which of the non-proof varieties is NOT collectible? (There is no confirmation of its existance.)

Bolender 2 ???

2. Which variety is the sole representative of the Large 3 Red Book variety? What is its most obvious diagnostic, assuming that you can't differentiate between a Large 3 and a Small 3?

Bolender 6 ???

3. Which of the non-proof varieties is the rarest? According to the JRCS, what is its true rarity rating? (This is important because the Reiver book has the wrong rating for this variety.)

Bolender 7 ???

Keith,

You're correct about #1. Bol.2 is also BB-253, and there's no confirmed specimens.

You're also correct about #2. Bol.6 is also BB-255. What's the easy diagnostic?

You're wrong about #3. Bol.7, I believe, is the proof restrike.

EVP

Don't have the Red Book in front, so can't answer the diagnostic portion. My next guess for #3 is the Bolender 3.

Keith,

You don't need the Red Book for this (unless you have some additional notes in there that I wouldn't expect). Also, if you're going to guess, please also make a guess to the other part of the question. And, if I say that your guess (of Bol.3) is wrong, will you then guess Bol.4?

If so, then this hardly makes the question any fun for the others... smile.gif (BTW, there's only 6 non-proof varieties, so continuous guessing will work quite well for the 1803.)

EVP

If you say Bol. 3 is wrong, I'll quit guessing. The resource I used had listed two varieties as rare, one very rare, the other extremely rare, and did not list that either was the proof version.

To answer the second half of question #2, the reverse is rotated 30 degrees to the left on the Large 3. (needed to see a pic of the da*n thing).

Ok, Keith, you're correct about the Bol.3 (BB-256) as well as the rotation for the BB-255. But, what's the correct rarity rating (as per the JRCS)?

BTW, excellent! Thanks for humoring me and my passion...

EVP

Keith,

``Not bad'' is an understatement! I think Boiler also does well with my ED questions, and I think he's a type collector as well. (I think he has the books though...)

Either way, you guys flatter me by playing my game. Thanks!

EVP

One day, I'll be looking at buying a few early dollars. By then, I hope to know enough to make an informed decision, so I try to participate in all posts that I can. laugh.gif