• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

how many negs are too many?

14 posts in this topic

Why is it, everytime I think I find a nice coin at a nice price, the seller always has what I consider too many negs?! I have a little extra money lately, so I have been looking to add to my O mint Morgans, so I see this coin listed, nice coin, good bin price, cool, I check the sellers feedback, dam! 24 negs! sure, he has over 9500 positive, and only 2 negs in the last 6 months, but still frown.gif too much of a risk for me and my valuble to me small amount of savings frown.gif

So, when do you consider the negs to be too much of a risk for you to go for it anyway?

I think this one is a safe bet....over 1400 auctions in the last 6 months with only 2 negatives...and I didn't read the nature of the negs.

To me..it's not necessarily the quantity of the negs...but the "quality" and how recent. This guy does a lot of business...and has done a lot recently...with favorable results. Plus you're buying a certified coin. This guy even has an 800 number you can call, so he's more credible than most on the surface.

I think this is a safe bet if you really like the coin.

Fairtraderz is a very good seller as far as honesty is concerned. However, sometimes they loose track of their coins and end up selling coins that they listed on Ebay, elswhere. Therefore, sometimes when I buy from them, they tell me they can't find the coin and they issue a refund. That's the only problem I have had with them. I've never been ripped off by Fairtraderz. Also, they sell some very nice coins on Ebay!

Their Negs generally come from shipping and other experiences, not the quality of the coin. I like the post above where it is all placed in reality: 1,400 good feedback vs 2 bad. I like those odds.

Couple problems:

1. They doctor their pictures on EBay. Their language on their EBay postings is misleading, particularly their grade descriptions. They sold me an AU50 coin as MS63. I had a hell of a time getting my money back. It took 3 months.

2. They are a Boiler Room, not coin people (look at how many lots that they blow out every week). As a result, they do not grade coins. They push through whichever junk they have bought. If you ever speak to anyone who works there, you will see how little that they know about Numismatics.

They move so much stuff through EBay (not just coins) that, as you have noticed, they lose track of what they are doing (this is a fairly minor transgression). They probably do 95% of their deals close to the grade on the slab, but they do not know how to grade. This is where it gets dicey.

The bottom line for me is doctored pictures and descriptions. The rest is of minor concern. tongue.gif

Avoid them. They are key word spammers. Too often they will advertise a coin as "colorfully toned" and it is grey or brown or black. Once I saw them offer a coin as "toned" in the subject line and the description listed the coin as toned white.

Anybody who does stuff like that can't be trusted in my opinion.

Also, I have been told by several people that theu used to be big ACG sellers. I don't know if htis is true.

Thanks for all the responses! smile.gif

I have decided to skip this one. Even though it is an NGC graded coin, and the price is good, the cheek has a lot of action (not uncommon for an MS63, but uncommon in my collection) and the $9.50 sh cost.

I am down to the hard to find dates in my collection, and as the prices get higher and higher, I start to get scared! The 1892-O is the cheapest of the expensive coins I need, I think I am going to have to ease into them a little more, look more and hit some shows. I have never spent over $150 on a single coin before, as I wanted to learn all i could so i wouldnt get burnt, my coin knowledge is probably ready, but my gut sure isnt! grin.gif

I have removed my earlier diatribe as I was a little hard on you guys. But remember, why would I expose myself in pointing the finger at a dealer, unless I felt strongly about informing others. My Mama did not have any stupid children! I am not saying that these guys do not sell righteous coins. They probably do, but they also have no compunction about cheating and stealing when it suits them. Just be careful! That is all I was trying to say. tongue.gif