• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What Is Going On With This Canadian Dollar - Is It What I Fear It Is?

8 posts in this topic

Hey, Rey.

Just a wild guess, but it seems that I have seen similar discoloration from coins either wrapped in plastic wrap or stored for a long time in those small, soft plastic sleves. There is a slight green hue to the coin too..but it just doesn't look like PVC damage to me. I'll be interested to see others' replies.

RI AL

It was in a soft plastic sleeve since day one. I was going through our Canadian Coins this weekend and there are several like this, no rhyme or reason. I was hoping it was not PVC and there is no green hue to it. I am wondering what if anything I can do to remove it. Here are a couple more images of similar occurences, there may be some green tint to one but again I do not think it is PVC but will welcome opionions, perhaps it is, in hand the green is not that evident. There are many, many other silver Canadian Coins that were stored in the same manner together that do not have these characteristics.

Rey

Dollarone.jpg

DollarThree.jpg

rbrown

It is my understanding that Saran Wrap (and the like) have oil derivitives as part of the manufacturing process. I still think that perhaps you have some oil residue from the soft plastic sleeves. Since we're not talking high value coins here, why not give the acetone a try? Other guys here have suggested that to me and I have had good results on silver.

As I was warned, use acetone in a well ventilated place and keep far away from any source of heat...especially smoking! I wore gloves too. I did my "dipping" in little glass bowls and had 3 plastic deli containers of clean water in which to rinse the coins after the acetine treatment. Results were very good.

I'd be interested to know if you try it and how the results are.

Good luck!! RI AL

Saran wrap is PVDC and will release vinyl chloride molecules just like PVC does. Vinyl chloride is the prime chemical that damages coins. PVDC will also damage coins when it is exposed to humidity and temperature.