• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

One more....1879 CC

16 posts in this topic

Looks XF40'ish. Can't tell if it has been cleaned but it looks too uniform in tone, for grade, to have not been cleaned. This date and MM is pretty expensive and elusive considering that it is a Morgan, even in XF grades.

Looks cleaned to me ... Rub below the eye downward and on the bottom of the neck ... It is a wanted piece being a "CC" but probably would not grade.

Borderline XF sounds about right to me too ...

Scanner bed imaging on this one did not create a very true representation of this CC, hence the thoughts of a previous cleaning. I myself am up in the air about a previous cleaning, hopefully, the coin may look better once you get it in hand.

Now, as far as the grade, off the cuff, I would assign XF-40 to the images.

Good luck on this low mintage, 756,000 Carson City Morgan.

Thanks, I appreciate it. From my novice position, I see the high point rubs and would also guess XF low range.

As far as it being cleaned, well, I cannot detect it from what I can see.

I started a thread about dipping and cleaning and I am guessing that the responses here indicate that this coin might have been dipped some time ago and then equally toned?

If so, as I am finding out more, it may not BB with a big TPG. But, there is a risk that it may be if it was not properly rinsed.

I think I see what others are saying about the toning.

I am watching a few auctions on Teletrade. I noticed a 1879 ANACS AU 50 that has been "cleaned".

WOW....it does "look" like the ANACS.

Of course it may not be, but they do look very similar in unequal toning.

I'm going against the pack and saying AU-50. Yes, it has rub on the high points, but not a huge amount. I see lots of good detail.

I wrote a WYNTK post about dipping coins and other methods of cleaning. This post sank faster than the Titanic and probably shall never be seen again. So much for my time and effort, everyone was too busy arguing, with 25 pages of posts, regarding another inane, name calling, CAC discussion to pay much attention to the subject of dipping. I guess arguing about whether CAC should exist almost endlessly, is an infinitely more important subject than dipping.

Jake are you buying these coin on E Bay ??

FYI for you – most Raw coins sold on E Bay are over graded.

There you go again, Mark. You're being too nice. I wouldn't say they are overgraded. I would say they are criminally exaggerated.

Chris

I like that term criminally exaggerated!! The worst cases of grading fraud are from those sellers who self slab or anything in a WCG holder.

Need a good laugh? Check out the junk from this seller. People like this should go to Jail !! E Bay does very little to combat this type of fraud. I guess they don’t lose all those power sellers who sell junk !!

http://shop.ebay.com/merchant/lindas_encore_W0QQ_nkwZQQ_armrsZ1QQ_fromZQQ_mdoZ

I like that term criminally exaggerated!! The worst cases of grading fraud are from those sellers who self slab or anything in a WCG holder.

Need a good laugh? Check out the junk from this seller. People like this should go to Jail !! E Bay does very little to combat this type of fraud. I guess they don’t lose all those power sellers who sell junk !!

http://shop.ebay.com/merchant/lindas_encore_W0QQ_nkwZQQ_armrsZ1QQ_fromZQQ_mdoZ

I just saw an 1878 8TF the other day. It was slabbed and graded SGS MS66. SGS? It even had a bar code. As I scrolled further down the listing, I found out that the seller's eBay store was Steve's Gift Shoppe .

Chris

Overgraded and filthy cleaned. Giving up buying raw for now. My carsons are only going to be graded by the big boys. Seems to be the safest way to spend the $.

Overgraded and filthy cleaned. Giving up buying raw for now. My carsons are only going to be graded by the big boys. Seems to be the safest way to spend the $.

Thats the way we all have learned :) - Good Luck

SGS is also total . To make this easy for the new collector’s only purchase slabbed from the following.

PCGS

NGC

ANACS

NCI

ICG

PCGS and NGC are the best. ANACS, NCI and ICG are decent but you have to take a good look at the coin.

Here is a helpful link :

http://coinauctionshelp.com/page16.html

It is a little outdated but still a decent resource