• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A question on submitting coins to be regraded

3 posts in this topic

So I'm pretty new to the hobby, in fact this is my first post, but I heard a rumor and am hoping some veterans can give me some advice. I heard from some people that coins in early generation holders, either pcgs or ngc, have a really good chance at being regraded at a higher grade if sent in now. I'm sure this happens sometimes, but does anyone have any positive experiences with this practice?

I only ask because I have some coins given to me from my grandfather and I want them reholdered since the ones he gave me are all scratched and messed up.

Thanks a lot.

Some do some don't. The early "fat" NGC holders (under 160,000? cert number) are sometimes good bets. PCGS OGH (old green holders) have been pretty well picked over but maybe will yield an upgrade because "market grading" has slipped grades over the years. NGC is grading pretty tight now. Good luck, bye the way.

Some don't.. even the old green PCGS ones can fail

Assess the coins yourself or with help, send them in already slabbed, specify realistic minimum grades. DO NOT CRACK so that you at least have plastic through the whole process :)