• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wayte Raymond holders

15 posts in this topic

What do you want to know?

There's a good bit of history associated with these. Dave Lange knows a lot about that history. They are reputed to have a high sulfer content that imparts superlative toning/color to the coins under the right conditions.

Hoot

The Wayte Raymond "National Coin Albums" were on the market from (I believe) the 1930's until the 1970's. They were very comprehensive, and quite expensive as well, and came in two different sizes that I am aware of. The introduction of the Library of Coins albums in the late 1950's and the Whitman Bookshelf albums in 1960 largely pushed them out of view though some dealers continued to sell them for many years. Hoards of unused pages for these albums still appear from time-to-time.

Some current collectors like to use them to tone their "white" coins.

Were/are they "bad" for the coin? Should you consider busting it out if still holdered? I've seen examples of the toning they are responsible for. Does the sulfur do any damage to the coin besides toning it?

Thank you for the info, people. Much appreciated. The reason I ask is I just bought 3 50c commems that were supposedly in these Raymond holders. Not even sure if that is the right term to use, if it can be "...damaged when pulling out of...". The tone on these three is extremely striking. Hope to post pics

of them after receiving if I can ever figure out how to do it!

David

Those holders have plastic slides. If the coin isn't all they way in it's hole the plastic can scratch the highest point of the coin creating slide marks.

I recently bought some used Wayte Raymond pages and put some cheap proof Jeffersons and some lusterous war nickels in them.

I recently bought some used Wayte Raymond pages and put some cheap proof Jeffersons and some lusterous war nickels in them.

I did the same about 5/6 years ago and put in some Washingtons and some clad coins. They haven't done a damnn thing as far as toning.. 893frustrated.gif

In the mean time my Kennedy clads have toned real nice in a Dansco album (about 10 years now). Also, my state quarters are starting to "brown". Yes, you heard that right. Coins that have only been in there less than 4 years are starting to turn. Which possibly means they will start to color like my Kennedy's did.. 893whatthe.gif

jom

To those of you who are hoping that a Wayte Raymond holder will quickly and attractively tone your coins, you should keep certain things in mind. The first is that even if the holder had never been previously used, it is likely that a large percentage of the original sulfur content has leached out of the cardboard over the intervening 40 years since they have been made. If that is the case then there is quite a bit less chance that any coins put into the pages will tone quickly or with wonderful color. Also, the atmospheric environment that the pages, with coins, were stored in had quite a bit to do with the toning that developed. So, you could have pages that have retained a high sulfur content, but, if you do not store them in an environment conducive to toning, you will not get much toning. Lastly, most coins that were stored for long periods of time in National Coin Album pages turned out with negative eye appeal, it is really only a small percentage that had monster toning.

National Coin Album pages turned out with negative eye appeal, it is really only a small percentage that had monster toning.

Oh..NOW you tell us! foreheadslap.gif

jom

National Coin Album pages turned out with negative eye appeal, it is really only a small percentage that had monster toning.

Oh..NOW you tell us! foreheadslap.gif

jom

sign-funnypost.gif

The Dansco Albums will also tone coins over time, but they have the same issues as Wayte Raymond holders (slides). Plus, Dansco Albums are still available.

Be careful when you buy collections in albums. I have recently seen some "vintage" collections in Wayte Raymond albums that were actually recently-artificially-toned coins plugged into used albums. The album is used to deceive potential buyers into thinking the coins are originally toned and from old collections. It's sad that crooks have stooped to this level.

James

It's not just National Coin Albums that are used to deceive. I have also seen vintage lucite holders with such things as Roosevelt silver dime sets in them that were used for deception. In this case, several of the coins had PVC damage. Since lucite holders (Capital and Berger are the most common brands seen) don't contain any PVC the bad sets were obviously recently transfered into them. Coins in any early holder should be checked carefully.

It's sad that crooks have stooped to this level.

This level? Hell, I figured that is the FIRST thing they'd try. laugh.gif

jom