• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does the NGC Registry have a set similar to the Dansco 7070 Type Set?

40 posts in this topic

By similar, I mean "exactly the same."

If not, why not? Mods, could one be created?

Here are the coins that would be included in the set, if one were to be made.

Half Cent Draped Bust 1800-08

Half Cent Classic Head 1809-35

Half Cent Coronet 1849-57

Large Cents Draped Bust 1796-1807

Large Cents Classic Head 1808-14

Large Cents Coronet 1816-39

Large Cents Coronet (Braided Hair) 1840-57

Small Cents Flying Eagle 1857-58

Small Cents Indian Head (Laurel Wreath) 1859

Small Cents Indian Head (Cu/Ni Oak Wreath) 1860-64

Small Cents Indian Head (Bronze Oak Wreath) 1864-1909

Small Cents Lincoln 1909 VDB 1909

Small Cents Lincoln (Bronze Wheat) 1909-58

Small Cents Lincoln (Steel) 1943

Small Cents Lincoln (Memorial) 1959-Date

Two Cents Two Cents (Bronze) 1864-72

Three Cents Three Cents (Silver) 1851-73

Three Cents Three Cents (Nickel) 1865-89

Half Dimes Capped Bust 1829-37

Half Dimes Liberty Seated 1837-59

Half Dimes Liberty Seated (Arrows) 1853-55

Half Dimes Liberty Seated (Legend) 1860-73

Nickels Shield (Rays) 1866-67

Nickels Shield (No Rays) 1867-83

Nickels Liberty Head (No Cents) 1883

Nickels Liberty Head (Cents) 1883-1912

Nickels Buffalo (Variety I) 1913

Nickels Buffalo (Variety 2) 1913-38

Nickels Jefferson 1938-Date

Nickels Jefferson (35% Silver) 1942-45

Dimes Capped Bust (Variety 2) 1828-37

Dimes Liberty Seated (Stars) 1838-60

Dimes Liberty Seated (Arrows) 1853-55

Dimes Liberty Seated (Legend) 1860-91

Dimes Liberty Head 1892-1916

Dimes Mercury 1916-45

Dimes Roosevelt (Silver) 1946-64

Dimes Roosevelt (Clad) 1965-Date

Twenty Cents Liberty Seated 1875-78

Quarters Capped Bust 1831-38

Quarters Liberty Seated (No Motto) 1838-65

Quarters Liberty Seated (Arrows) 1853-55

Quarters Liberty Seated (Motto) 1866-91

Quarters Liberty Head 1892-1916

Quarters Liberty Standing (Variety 1) 1916-17

Quarters Liberty Standing (Variety 2) 1917-30

Quarters Washington (Silver) 1932-64

Quarters Washington (Clad) 1965-Date

Half Dollars Capped Bust (Lettered Edge) 1807-36

Half Dollars Capped Bust (Reeded Edge) 1836-39

Half Dollars Liberty Seated (No Motto) 1839-65

Half Dollars Liberty Seated (Arrows) 1853-55

Half Dollars Liberty Seated (Motto) 1866-91

Half Dollars Liberty Head 1892-1915

Half Dollars Liberty Walking 1916-47

Half Dollars Franklin 1948-63

Half Dollars Kennedy (Silver) 1964

Half Dollars Kennedy (Clad) 1965-Date

Comm. Halfs Commemerative Half Dollars

Silver Dollars Liberty Seated (No Motto) 1840-65

Silver Dollars Liberty Seated (Motto) 1866-73

Silver Dollars Trade 1873-83

Silver Dollars Morgan 1878-1921

Silver Dollars Peace 1921-35

Silver Dollars Eisenhower 1971-78

Bicentennial Bicentennial Quarter 1976

Bicentennial Bicentennial Half Dollar 1976

Bicentennial Bicentennial Dollar 1976

Susan B. Anthony 1979-99

Sacagawea Dollar 2000-Date

Presidential Dollar 2007-Date

50 State Comm. Quarter 1999-2008

Commemorative Silver Dollar 1983-Date

Silver American Eagle 1986-Date

Gold Dollars Liberty Head (Type 1) 1849-54

Gold Dollars Indian Head (Type 3) 1856-89

Quarter Eagle Liberty Head 1840-1907

Quarter Eagle Indian Head 1908-29

Half Eagle Liberty Head 1839-1908

Half Eagle Indian Head 1908-29

Eagle Liberty Head 1838-1907

Eagle Indian Head 1907-33

Double Eagle Liberty Head 1850-1907

Double Eagle Saint-Gaudens 1907-32

Now, if there is a registry set like this, it is one I would definitely like to put together!

Isnt the "US type with Moderns" that set or is it missing things ???

That, I believe, has EVERYTHING. There are certain coins that I just can't afford to put in the set like a Chain Cent. The Dansco 7070 has no Chain Cent, among other coins.

The Dansco 7070 type album does not include the early Federal issues and much fewer Seated Liberty types such as arrows, no drapery, etc.

I wish they did have one since that is all I would have originally worked on. Who knows if I would have expanded it to include the early issues which costs the big bucks even in lower grades. I'd certainly have more liquid cash if that were the case.

But, perhaps, that is the reason the set does not exist, to wit that demand is being created by the registry guidelines and the Dansco set would lower the demand somewhat for the early issues.

There are sets on the NGC Registry that may suit your needs:

USA Type Set

20th Century Type Set

and ****Coming Soon***

19th Century Type Set

These may not be as comprehensive as the 'Dansco 7070 Type Set' but they may serve the purpose.

I hope this information is helpful.

These may not be as comprehensive as the 'Dansco 7070 Type Set' but they may serve the purpose.

The Dansco 7070 type album is less comprehensive than all of the other NGC type sets. That is why it was requested as a separate set. Not too many people, especially young YN's like Chad here, can afford the earliest US type. That is why a type set based upon the coins in the Dansco 7070 would be such a great service to many collectors. Please, submit the idea for consideration.

Thanks.

The Dansco 7070 type album is less comprehensive than all of the other NGC type sets. That is why it was requested as a separate set. Not too many people, especially young YN's like Chad here, can afford the earliest US type. That is why a type set based upon the coins in the Dansco 7070 would be such a great service to many collectors. Please, submit the idea for consideration.

Thanks.

Right, thanks Vic.

I think that the Dansco 7070 is a great entry-level type set. There are only one or two coins that come to my mind as being even remotely difficult (price-wise) to obtain, and those are the seated dollars, and if you choose to include it, the higher denomination gold coins. Other than that, this set can be completed even on a YN's budget.

Guest Joiseygirl

My best estimation would be that this will be completed in the next couple of weeks.

I will offer your suggestion to create a separate set excluding modern issues. What dates/types would you consider eliminating?

I'm guessing since he wants "moderns" out, he'd eliminate anything produced exclusively after 1955. Which, when you think about it, doesn't eliminate much other than the most recent US Mint coin programs.

So I guess he'd be spared the Eisenhowers, kennedy halfs, the Bicentennial Coins, the Memorial cents, the statehood quarters, the westward journey nickels, the presidential dollars, Susan B, Sacagawea, and anything that gets released in 2009.

Instead of excluding modern issues, I would make two separate sets as follows:

One exactly as listed in the original post. Coin-for-coin, exactly the same.

The other set should exclude the gold type. This is how it is for the actual Dansco 7070 album. The gold page is optional, and people may choose to include it, or not.

I would agree. I think there should be two. One with Gold and one without Gold. Leave the moderns in since they are part of the 7070 album.

I will offer your suggestion to create a separate set excluding modern issues. What dates/types would you consider eliminating?

If it were up to me, I would cut off the "no moderns" set at 1933, they year circulating gold coinage ceased. However, I would allow say a 1937 Buffalo 5¢ in the set since the type existed prior to 1933.

If it were up to me, I would cut off the "no moderns" set at 1933, they year circulating gold coinage ceased. However, I would allow say a 1937 Buffalo 5¢ in the set since the type existed prior to 1933.

For all intents and purposes, I thought the modern age started after 1964?

For all intents and purposes, I thought the modern age started after 1964?

That is a very significant breaking point. I've never really understood why the division was set at 1955.

The other set should exclude the gold type. This is how it is for the actual Dansco 7070 album. The gold page is optional, and people may choose to include it, or not.

Note this: the slots are to be determined by the Dansco 7070 guidelines. None of their type albums excludes moderns so this should not even be considered. Yes, there is a gold supplement page and it is a very good idea to have a second set that includes the gold type.

This would be a very good move in encouraging type collecting. (thumbs u

Exactly! I don't like Dansco albums because I don't like their "album toning" but I've always wondered about the 7070 set and I think it might be fun to build a registry set like this.

Note this: the slots are to be determined by the Dansco 7070 guidelines. None of their type albums excludes moderns so this should not even be considered. Yes, there is a gold supplement page and it is a very good idea to have a second set that includes the gold type.

I respectfully disagree. To say that something should not even be considered appears to show disregard for others who may have a different opinion. I believe everything should be considered and discussed and nothing summarily dismissed. NGC can then make the final call based on the information at hand.

Ultimately if NGC decides to include modern issues in every iteration of these new sets then many people, myself included, will just ignore them. There's something to be said for a finite set that will not continually expand with every new coin program our wonderful Congress comes up with. All IMO of course.

Well, this entire Registry set was in the spirit of the Dansco 7070 Type Set Album. I think we should keep with that, and only allow two variations - one with gold, and one without. Moderns are included.