• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pointed Nine variety Dime in 1964 Proof Sets?

24 posts in this topic

I found some obscur, well, not known to me anyways, information about 1964 proof dimes.

It seems that in 1964 there was a small change made early on in the production of the proof Roosevelt dimes. The tail of the nine on the early proofs tapers off and is not perfectly flat and blunt like the later 9's, so it has been designated a Pointed Nine.

Now, where's a good place to look for those early Pointed Nines? It has been noted that many have been found in the 1964 proof sets that also contained the Accented Hair Kennedys. Take that second look at those 1964 proof sets to see if you have this variety.

1964-point-9-roosey.jpg1964-reg-9-roosey.jpg

First image pointy nine/second image regualr nine.

That's pretty neat there WJ. I looked at my roosie I have from my 64' set with the acc. kennedy, and sure enough, the end of the 9 is pointed.

There was a big excitement over them back in 1964 and they were heavily promoted reaching prices of up to $9 apiece. And the blunt tailed 9 was worth maybe a quarter. (Doesn't sound like much but that is in 1964 dollars. Think of it as the equivalent of $90 today. Think how people would react if suddenly a 2007 dime from the current proof set was suddenly a $90 coin.) There was a lot of speculation as to what the value would go to if they were listed in the Redbook! Well that didn't happen, interest lagged, and they became just a curiosity that was eventually forgotten. Today only a very small number of people know about them. The only reason I know about them is from reading back issues of Numismatic Scrapbook Magazine. (I have about 2/3's of a complete run 1935 - 1976. It is amazing the amount of information in those old magazines that I have never seen anywhere else.)

Look slike I will have to look closer at this one I am selling

It came from a Accented set also .. cant really tell from this picture though

42627-dime.jpg.5ee174d5268807fba874302c7dd5aa95.jpg

Yea, unfortunately I'm old enough to remember all of that stuff about the pointed tail dime. It got FAR MORE press than the "extra curl" JFK Proof half dollar, which is since become a much more popular variety. In fact I was not even aware of the extra curl half until the mid 1980s when a group of collectors who frequented the Worthy Coin bid wall in Boston went though a untouched hoard 325 of 1964 Proof sets looking for them.

The estimates were that 100,000 extra curl Proof half dollars were issued out of the almost 4 million sets that were sold that year. That comes to about 2.5% of the mintage. Sure enough they found 10 ten sets, which is statistically pretty close to the expected total from a random sample.

Getting back to the pointed 9 1964 dime, it was a popular gimmick for a while, and I have seen a few references to it of late. Still, like a lot of modern coin gimmicks it died a quiet natural death as collectors moved on the next promotion.

There were others. One was the 1965 “dot” cent. According to a few dealers that coin was issued by the Denver mint at the time when the mint system was not placing mint marks on any coins to discourage collector hoarding of coins. The dot cent was touted as a replacement for the D mint hole in a collection. I bet few people know about it today.

There was also a promotion for the 1975-S Proof cent. The claim there was that it was lowest mintage since the 1914-D. Dealers were carefully scrutinizing every 1975-S cent to make sure it had no spots since the “perfect ones” were going to be great investments. That one died after the promotion was over too.

I checked mine that definitely came from an ACCENTED hair set BUT is NOT a pointed "9"

So they do mix up when packaged ...

I believe this is one Rey

There are a few diagnostics .. the other good one is the initials of the designer, he redesigned his LETTERS for this edition - A flat backed 'G' if I am not mistaken

Oops along with the serif "I"

The I in Liberty will have a truncated serif at the bottom like this one in the Photo, 1964ahI.jpg

Other diagnostics will also be found on the reverse,

The FG as mentioned:

1964ahfg.jpg

And broken ray's extending from the eagle,

1964ahbr.jpg

The last two can be found on some 64 Proofs, but without the truncated serif on the I it is not an Accented Hair variety, those with the diagnostics on the back but not the front are the Transitional variety, die type 2 obverse and die type 1 reverse, this is actually more rare than the Accented Hair variety but like the Pointed 9 no one seems to care.

I found 2 pointed 9's in proof sets i pulled accented kennedy's from. Judging from what i saw on teletrade doesnt seem worth paying the grading fee plus the $7 to get it attributed. I guess off to ebay they will go. Here is a pic for ya rey :)

kennedycamsacco.jpg

kennedycamsaccr.jpg

:signfunny:

Now, now I realized after I posted that, that perhaps there may be some suggestive comments from the forum. Let me just say this, these four blunts were not purchased by me, they were given to me as a gift so to speak and therefore I am not reponsible for repercussions of owning them. Other than their coin value of course.

Hey Winston :headbang:

About 15 or so years back some were promoting 2 pc MS sets with the blunt and the pointed. You could get the P or the D set for about $7.

I have mine posted for sale on Ebay .. we will soon see where it stands on Ebay

as to price and market liquidity

I will not post the link lest I be verbally lashed! Once again !

I have mine posted for sale on Ebay .. we will soon see where it stands on Ebay

as to price and market liquidity

I will not post the link lest I be verbally lashed! Once again !

Verbal Lashing Link