• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Railroad/Railway Related World Coins or Medals

77 posts in this topic

Here is my latest World Railway related Coin/Medal.

Ethiopia Addis Adaba Medal for the Djibouti Railroad.

Struck in Paris 1903, Bronze without ribbon as issued. Obverse is King Manelik II of Ethiopia and Reverse has a Steam locomotive, a cornucopica in the lower right edge and Bronze in tiny text. 32 mm

Rey

1903EthiopianRailwayObv.jpg

1903EthiopianRailwayRev.jpg

Hey, Rey!

These 2 coins were minted in 2006 by China to commemorate the opening of Qinghoi-Tibet railway. I can't give you catalog numbers because they are unlisted (I think) in both "Unusual World Coins" or 2009 Standard Cataolg of World Coins 2001-date. Sorry that the pictures aren't a little sharper but it's the best I could do with my scanner.

railwayo.jpg

railwayr.jpg

Does anyone know how to have "unlisted coins" included in subsequent World Coin Catalogs? RI AL

Hey again, Rey. Though not a coin or token, this has always been one of my favorite Peru bills.

RI AL

railwaybillo.jpg

railwaybillr.jpg

Hey again, Rey.

I flipped a bit through the World Coins 2001-present catalog and came up with some listings of neat train coins.

Austria: KM 3149, 3151, 3109 (minted 2007, 2007, and 2004) (20, 20, 25 Euros)

Australia KM 730 $5 (2004)

RI AL

Oh, someone mentioned the Albania Train coins. KM 61 and KM 62, 5 and 50 Leke from 1988. These did win an international competition for design. They are neat looking though I don't own them.

Thank you RI Al.

I like that Note as well, very nice train scene. I have been meaning to look into the Austrian Railway coins, saw them in World coins but have not pursued. I will though.

Thanks again,

Rey

Hey, Rey

If you go to

www.eurocollections.com

and select "what's new",

then scroll down, you will find the Austria Railroad coins.

RI AL

Hey Rey... if you go here, (if I did this right) you will see the first in a series from the Royal Canadian Mint on great locomotives of Canada. This is a 2008 silver $20 coin honoring the Royal Hudson.

I thought I would pass it on.

Scott :hi:

hey rey, since you've looked out for me in the past with ship coin leads..here are 2 gorgeous medals I spied on ebay.....good luck if you're interested.. http://cgi.ebay.com/NUDE-1927-Baltimore-OH-Rail-Road-Co-100th-MACO-Medal_W0QQitemZ310068884345QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item310068884345&_trksid=p3286.m14.l1318

http://cgi.ebay.com/TRAIN-RAILWAY-WINGED-NUDE-1904-ANDINO-VILLA-DOLORES_W0QQitemZ180269557961QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item180269557961&_trksid=p3286.m14.l1318

I can vouch for the second dealer also..I've had very satisfactory dealings with him in the past for some sailing ship medals..

Yarm,

Very nice piece there.

RI AL, thank you for the links I actually have been watching the first one.

Rey

Hey, Rey.

Just taking another look at the Railway medal, doesn't the reverse translate to:

Innaguration of the Railway, October 33, 1911??? Last time I checked, there were only 31 days in October. Maybe I got my translation mixed up...or maybe the

train is # 33??

RI Al

RI Al,

Very interesting observation, I went back to the original description of the coin but it did not translate the wording. I am not sure if it is the number of the engine/train or a date mistake, surely the latter is not true. Anyways, as a side note, I actually thought this coin was never coming, I purchased the end of June and it finally arrived last week. The original images were very blurry and showed no toning or color, the cost was very minimal so I purchased it and am very pleased with the results.

Rey

Here is my latest addition to my World Railway Related Medal Set. 1962 50 Year Commemorative of the International Union of Railways (UIC).

About the UIC:

The International Union of Railways is an association of railway companies and rail transport organizations that was set up in 1922. The UIC has 159 members in 88 countries worldwide. Within the 159 members there are 67 principal members (known as Active Members) - mainly the larger railway companies in Western, Central and Eastern Europe, the Middle East, and North Africa,

together with Japan, China, India, and Pakistan. There are then 56 Associate Members comprising railway companies and organisations in the rest of the world (including the US Department of Transportation), and 36 Affiliate Members made up of companies and organisations that are not railways themselves but have

key interests in rail transport.

The first World War caused great disruption in Europe and significantly changed the political geography of the continent. After the war the European States were very anxious to revive their economies and to re-establish international traffic and trade. One concern was the technical issues involved in getting international trains moving again over the European rail network with its newly drawn national frontiers. Two conferences at government level were held in 1921 and 1922, and as a result of these the railways were asked to convene a conference to discuss, amongst other issues, the setting up of a permanent organisation to produce standards and improve conditions relating to international rail traffic. The railway conference in October 1922 then founded the UIC, with technical standards as a principal function.

1962UIC50YearCommobv.jpg1962UIC50YearCommrev.jpg