All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. What has always stuck with me on the original topic, is purchasing a 1971-S "brown box" Eisenhower directly from the mint in 1971 for $10. I still have it. 48 years later, you can easily buy one for $12-15 with shipping. $10 in 1971 is $63 today. You should only buy this stuff because you want it, not because you think it will be worth more later.
  3. I never got an S. Live too far away from any of the mints actually. I did find a D that is strange looking though. Having someone look at pics before I post it, if it is worth posting.
  4. Today
  5. Wow! Major eye opener. I've been buying everything new from the mint. No More. Thanks for the help.
  6. Just a follow up to say Thank You for following up and having the Census correct for this coin
  7. Besides, I'm looking for key dates, weights, double ear, cam, wam, along with many other things and especially wheats. I love finding those. No matter what date.
  8. From what i can gather the US Mint products rarely hold up value on the secondary market. I presume some of their costs for the bullion products includes the cost to acquire the metal, the production costs, then a healthy profit margin. Once it hits the secondary market though only those items in an exceptional quality range garner much of a premium. The vast majority trade for a minimum % above spot price.
  9. I'm not obsessing over doubling. If something catches my eye then I look closer. If it looks doubled then i ASK about it. I dont announce that i have a ddo or a ddr if I'm not sure. I'm asking for help when i dont know the answers.
  10. I send my rough satin's back to the bank when I am finished searching. That is the same with most searchers so finding a roll of satins at the bank is not crazy.
  11. Yesterday
  12. 1966 Jefferson Nickel NGC MS-66 1964-D Kennedy Half Dollar NGC MS-63 (Toned) 1978-D Eisenhower Dollar NGC MS-66 1924 Huguenot-Walloon Tercentenary Half Dollar NGC MS-64 Canada 1999 S$5 Silver Maple Leaf Fireworks Privy NGC MS-67
  13. Thought, I would share the link to this toned morgan I have for sale at GreatCollections. Ending on the 3rd of November. https://www.greatcollections.com/Coin/767493/1883-O-Morgan-Silver-Dollar-NGC-MS-65-OH-Toned
  14. Conder101: Coin thickness and diameter. Coin diameter is not legally specified except for the small dollar coin. Diameters became "fixed" when coin counting and dispensing machines came into use. A similar commercial pressure, along with physical characteristics of alloys, led to thickness at the rim of modern coins. Members are referred to discussions between businesses and the Mint Bureau regarding Buffalo nickel designs (Renaissance of American Coinage 1909-1915); Brandt Automatic Cashier Co., AT&T (Renaissance of American Coinage 1916-1921; David W Lange -The Complete Guide to Mercury Dimes ) and the Inco & Gould private pattern pieces of the 1960s and 70s (Private Pattern and Related Pieces: International Nickel & Gould Incorporated). RE: Coin changes in 1820s-1830s. Multiple changes were tested and put into production for some denominations during this period. The goal was to produce coins of more uniform appearance. These would be, it was hoped, more likely to remain in domestic circulation as full-value pieces and not chopped up as were Spanish and Mexican silver issues. Minting difficulties arose because the old screw presses ("fly press") did not have (or maintain) sufficiently tight mechanical tolerances to allow full advantage of closed collars. Additionally, the Mint did not yet have a modern reducing lathe. This, when combined with uncertain steel quality, inconsistent die hardening and tempering, and other layers of physical/mechanical mismatches, limited improved coin production until 1837 and later. Peale's suite of improved minting equipment was then able to strike coins of greatly improved uniformity, consistency, commercial acceptance and political presentation.
  15. Silver segregation in .900 fine silver/copper alloy was well known. M&R Departments in cooperation with Assay Departments allowed for this by skewing the ingot fineness. This resulted in correct average purity along the strip's center where blanks were cut. (FYI - Nearly 50% of an ingot ended up in the scrap pile and was remelted.) Properly conducted modern non-destructive assay can easily distinguish differences of less than 0.0002. But it hardly matters due to permitted tolerances and quality control limitations of the era. I might write this up as a little article - as soon as I save enough $$ to pay the tax bills. :(
  16. I fear that these "rarity jockeys" have zero idea of the damage they are doing to their own credibility. It's sad really, and it starts to explain the "thought processes" (as if...) of the YouTube video producer types. You can only hide for a finite amount of time behind excuses like "I'm here to learn" or "Forgive me, I'm new at this." There are books published for a reason. The Internet is for supplemental purposes, not to replace books. I have good useful books older than ARPANET, IBM System 70's, and TI-99, Apple ][, or Commodore 64 Bulletin Board Systems, much less the web. Sure, if some want to delve into the Newman Numismatic Portal or the ANA's "The Numismatist" electronic archives, that's cool I guess. But I'm not seeing any evidence of that kind of scholarship at work. I'm seeing evidence of no commitment at all to the hobby, just "flippers" and quick buck artists.
  17. Remember Salman Rushdie's The Satanic Verses, that got him a fatwa? We could now have The Satinic Verses, and Kurt could issue the fatwa.
  18. Good point, I have seen numerous questionable "error" coins for sale on eBay and at ridiculous prices. I think you're right about that digital microscope; no telling what you're gonna see at that level of magnification.
  19. The problem with what I call the "newbie wave of roll hunting error searchers" is that they are NOT increasing the demand for the coins they are hunting. They just want to flip them for a quick buck, even when they are not true error coins. A look around eBay and especially Etsy will confirm that. All they are doing is adding SUPPLY, not demand, and that HAS TO (can't be any other way) actually DEPRESS the value of their finds. They are doing no good for themselves nor the hobby at large. Rather, they are unwittingly destroying the hobby.
  20. Yeah, really it's a matter of what you want to own. As a child collector I drooled over 1955 DDO Lincoln, and the 1972. Dream coins back then. Now I own them. I do enjoy our hobby. Thanks so much for your help Kurt!
  21. Overwhelmingly, yes. The exceptions to this are extremely few. It depends on what sort of coin and what sort of error. Most errors are quite moderate in value - not a way to make money, for sure. Only the very popular errors of very popular coin series warrant big money. Obviousness of the error is key. Most people here "waste their time" with USB digital microscopes (the quotes are because it is my deeply held opinion, with which some differ). The really valuable errors are as obvious as arterial bleeding.
  22. Tnx for the reply. So can I assume that coins with unlimited mintage figures will be cheaper on secondary? It has also occurred to me that you will not find an error coin on the secondary market without a large premium?
  23. The quick answer is "yes". For now, the secondary market is often cheaper, … unless it's not. And when it's not, it's waaaaaay not. The system is that 9 out of 10 mint products trade cheaper in the secondary market, but that 10th one will hurt you bad. So is the answer to wait and buy on the secondary market? Wellll, what if everyone did? Then there'd be no coins to have in the secondary market. "Ya pays yo money and ya takes yo chances." The truth is that coins cost money to make, market, and sell. The secondary market does not have an obligation to give a profit to the original purchaser, but the original purchaser does have an obligation to cover any and all costs of producing those coins and sets. It's a hobby with a shrinking participation base, and this is what happens.
  24. So I was just looking for a ballpark value of my 2018 W ASE, got on eBay and found that the coin is selling for mid-$30 dollar range slabbed, and I paid almost $50.00 for it from the mint! So my assumption that ALL products will have the lowest price when bought from the mint is my own little cognitive fabrication. Besides my mind being weak, what would explain this pricing bit? Do they really charge that much more for the little box and COA??
  25. No, not possible. The satin finish required specially prepared dies, that were “sandblasted“ with very fine glass beads. They stopped doing it. That said, dies do change appearance over their use life.
  26. I’m being dead serious. You are accumulating one of the most massive image libraries of strike anomalies. Think seriously about publishing it someday. There’s more than one way to succeed in numismatics. Obsessing only on finding “doubling” is going to lead you down a path that you really don’t want to go. It's not a path to anything resembling riches, but it will frustrate the heck out of 99%+ of the people who head down that path. Truly TRULY publishing is your far better choice.
  27. Ali E.

Fun Show

Thank you for the request, ldhair. We are glad you enjoyed the event last year. We are planning on a cocktail party again this year. We will post further details once they are finalized. Email invitations will go out in December. We hope to see you there!
  1. Load more activity