All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. the obv surface texture is amazing on that 1852 Robert.
  3. Really nice original coin in a cool holder as a bonus.
  4. Thanks for the additional pics @Zeboit has helped me decide to at least try the service on a few of the coins I want to send in. I am aware of the slab pics that NGC takes, I bought a coin earlier this year and when I added it to my inventory those automatically loaded. Also not bad for slab shots but certainly not nice high res pics either.
  5. Today
  6. Thanks for the comments, it is definitely a farthing here are some more pictures outside of the holder.
  7. No they are all 35% silver. Sound is not a very good diagnostic tool. Even with the same composition it can vary with the thickness (weight), force of strike can have an effect, plus the human ear is NOT a very precise instrument. Adding to the problem with the war nickels is the fact that they a plagued with lamination problems which can cause changes in the sound or even eliminate the ring entirely.. And the laminations do not have to be visible on the surface of the coin. Internal flaws can cause these problems. A ring test can be suggestive, but should never be considered to be conclusive.
  8. I have 2 Jefferson Nickels from 1943. both Philadelphia mint marks over Monticello on the Reverse. One weighs 5.2 Grams or 80 grains; the other weighs 4.8 Grams or 76 grains. The drop test from a few inches onto my desk reveal two entirely different sounds. The Coin at 4.8 grams has the typical silver sound, and has much wear. The 5.2 gram nickel has a different sound. It does not sound like a 1940 Nickel, that is 49 Grams or 76 grains. I am entirely confused. Did they make any nickels in 1943 out of another metal than Silver?
  9. Thanks Greenstang , I figured that's the way there supposed to be seen.😁
  10. True, I feel if any zinc coins when buying should be mint condition. Other wise there just bad in other kind of conditions. But some are almost good when buying uncirculated rolls.
  11. Right, they would have the record of the strongest teeth in the world. Lol. It almost makes me think Somebody was trying to make a magic coin out of it. But who knows it's a mystery.
  12. Yesterday
  13. It's an NGC generation #3 fatty (my personal favorite), CAC endorsed and it is a GEM! Thanks for looking!!
  14. The normal weight of a 40 percent silver coin from 1965 until 1970 is 11.5 grams. The copper nickel kennedies weigh 11.27 respectively. When weight matters.
  15. I really like that Foreign Coin Map idea that your club did, maybe for our May Show. We already have big bin of donated foreign coins, just provide a map and see if the YNs can find a coin for each continent. We already give them three coins at registration, we would only need to add another 3, to make the continent idea viable.
  16. If your going to weigh coins, use a scale that goes to at least two decimal places and how do we know how accurate your scale is. That coin could weigh as little as 3.35 and still register as 3.4. The actual weight of a copper coin is 3.11g with a tolerance of .12g. Also they did preserve copper in WWII when they went to the zinc plated steel cents in 1943.
  17. I used to love reading Cliff's adventures in coin travel in the Numismatic News. I wish he still did them, I would love to read about his trip from Wisconsin to Monroeville. I think he is going to be a very popular part of our Friday speaker lineup.
  18. The one that seems to interest you is the worst coin of the three. It has clearly been treated with copper cleaner and has become worthless.
  19. After that, set aside the very nicest ones not the rarer type for inclusion in one roll of the best of the best. The lesser ones truly are "spenders". If you get extraordinarily lucky, you may end up with whole rolls of Wide Rim coins.
  20. In 1909, cents were beautifully struck. They were a new thing, showing a real person for the first time. I sincerely hope you're not suggesting you are looking at a Matte Proof 1909-VDB, because you definitely are not! Look at the raised rim of your coin. It has a rounded top. Matte proof Lincolns have squared off rim tops. Yours is not one. But if you need to have that proven to you, get in touch with Carl Waltz of Millersville, PA. He literally wrote the book on Matte Proof Lincolns, and has documented them by die state. Carl works through Angel Dee's to build his MPL collection. And no, he doesn't deal over the Internet and he doesn't participate on online forums, this or any other one. However, I will be seeing Carl in about 2 hours at the Red Rose Coin Club meeting in Lancaster, PA. Is there no length to which you will not go to convince yourself you've found great rarities?!?! Get a grip, man!
  21. There's one world set missing for the silver corona/korona. We have for Austria: Silver Corona, 1892-1908, Circulation Issue Silver Corona, 1912-1916, Circulation Issue And we have for Hungary: Silver Korona, 1892-1906, Circulation Issue But the last of the four is missing for Hungary: Silver Korona, 1912-1916, Circulation Issue Please add the set in bold above. Thank you!
  1. Load more activity