• entries
    230
  • comments
    398
  • views
    3,948

Well, no West Point Quarters for me today...

1 1
Revenant

390 views

Maybe I shouldn't post this... feels like it might be stepping on a landmine... but... I'm not that smart. So...

I had to go to the bank today to deposit some cash that a relative gave me to pay for something. I figured while I was in the bank anyway I'd just see if they had any of the new quarters. I thought it might be fun to search some rolls. I figured if I found anything I'd stick them in 2x2 mylar flips and sit on them for 10+ years.

When I got back into coin collecting as an adult around 2006 / 2007 the first thing I did was buy some coin albums / folders for pennies (which later expanded to include dimes, nickels, and quarters) and see what I could do trying to fill them by pulling from circulation / searching rolls. It's a fun way to kill an afternoon sometimes.

Well, I'm out in what might be considered the boonies, or on the edge of such, and we don't have big bank branches out here, mostly just small banking centers. My branch doesn't get quarters unless they order them and they don't order new ones every time the mint releases an new design, so I was SOL. They only had loose coins and regular rolls, nothing fresh from the mint.

So I just deposited my cash and went home with my lightbulbs so I can stop living like a mole with burned out bulbs. I'm just not willing to kill 2-3 hours of my life making a special trip out to a larger branch further into town just to get quarter rolls in the hopes of finding something.

Sam had to have a CT yesterday after a head ultrasound / MRI (not even sure which) showed that he had a fluid pocket in his head left over from everything draining out after the shunt was put in. CT showed that it was basically just CSF - no fresh blood. So the neurosurgeon is happy and we'll go back in late June or July for a follow-up. It was very strange seeing him packed in in such a way that he couldn't move during the scan, but he was inclined to nap at the time so he just got comfy and slept through it.

59501492_10157330846544421_1097311827131367424_n.jpg

1 1


12 Comments


Recommended Comments

I am not going to actively seek the W Quarters, but if one finds its way into my change at CVS, well Hallelujah.

 

Share this comment


Link to comment

Hey William,

First off, the important stuff......I'm so glad that Sam's test went well and I hope that the follow up appointment goes well also.  As far as W quarters go, I was interested when I could flip one for the price of a nice denarius, but I knew that would be a short window and it has closed.  But I was never really active in seeking them......I just checked my pocket change to see if any showed up, which is something I do anyway.  You never know what may turn up, and I have found some interesting things in circulation.  If one shows up in my change, great, but I'm not concerned about it at all if I do not find one.  As I've said on here before about these, I hope most of them are found by people who actually want them for their collections.  That is not me......I'm just a potential flipper as far as W quarters are concerned.  Now, if it were like last year where some of the quarters depicted birds, that would be a different story.  Thankfully, none of them do so I don't have to get nuts about them :) 

Good luck in your hunting!

~Tom

Share this comment


Link to comment
15 minutes ago, Mohawk said:

As I've said on here before about these, I hope most of them are found by people who actually want them for their collections.  That is not me......I'm just a potential flipper as far as W quarters are concerned.  Now, if it were like last year where some of the quarters depicted birds, that would be a different story.  Thankfully, none of them do so I don't have to get nuts about them.

If I could have gotten good money for one I probably would have turned flipper on it so I could use it to help my Zimbabwe notes set. As it stands - I wouldn't mind having one just for the novelty of it to show my boys in a few years, but I'm not interested enough to go buy one or to actively hunt one down.

 

Share this comment


Link to comment
2 hours ago, Revenant said:

If I could have gotten good money for one I probably would have turned flipper on it so I could use it to help my Zimbabwe notes set. As it stands - I wouldn't mind having one just for the novelty of it to show my boys in a few years, but I'm not interested enough to go buy one or to actively hunt one down.

 

I agree that they would be pretty cool to show to your boys in a few years, especially Sam since they would be from his birth year.  If I had kids, I may feel more like you do on the issue, especially if I had a 2019 baby like you do :)

Edited by Mohawk

Share this comment


Link to comment

Finding the "W" quarters will be a long hunt for areas that don't have amusement parks and vacation areas. The quarters are only in the bulk bags that go to the areas that are low on quarters and need change to keep the parks and stores rolling. ;)

Share this comment


Link to comment
23 minutes ago, Six Mile Rick said:

Finding the "W" quarters will be a long hunt for areas that don't have amusement parks and vacation areas. The quarters are only in the bulk bags that go to the areas that are low on quarters and need change to keep the parks and stores rolling. ;)

Well... I think that'll pretty well count me out. Lol 

Share this comment


Link to comment
1 hour ago, Revenant said:

Well... I think that'll pretty well count me out. Lol 

It may actually count me in some.....my old hometown is actually a resort town and it's only 30 minutes away from where I live now and summer is coming.  Who knows?  I guess I'll have to keep checking my change (which I do anyway).  Sadly, the potential profit on a flip is dwindling all the time.....*sigh*

Edited by Mohawk

Share this comment


Link to comment

I find it quite interesting that from 1965-1967 there were no mintmarks on any circulating coins. This was based on the false assumption that collectors hoarded mintmarked coins. If there was any hoarding in 1965-1967, it was of circulating silver coins dating 1964 and earlier because of the removal of silver from our coins in 1965. While the removal of mintmarks then was intended to discourage hoarding, the addition of a mintmark now is to encourage hoarding. Regardless, I rarely come across any "America the Beautiful" quarter, let along one with a rare "W" mintmark. :( If I really want one, I guess I can purchase one on the secondary market after the hype settles. Gary

Share this comment


Link to comment
16 hours ago, Mohawk said:

If I had kids, I may feel more like you do on the issue, especially if I had a 2019 baby like you do :)

It's a little funny to me at this point that I have two big projects that are somewhat earmarked for my sons at some point in the future. Ben, since he is named "William" for me, will likely get my Wilhelm III 10G set one day if he wants it. Sam will likely get my Zimbabwe notes set if he wants it when the time comes. Both major projects for me with a lot of love and effort vested in them, but extremely different.

Share this comment


Link to comment
5 hours ago, Revenant said:

It's a little funny to me at this point that I have two big projects that are somewhat earmarked for my sons at some point in the future. Ben, since he is named "William" for me, will likely get my Wilhelm III 10G set one day if he wants it. Sam will likely get my Zimbabwe notes set if he wants it when the time comes. Both major projects for me with a lot of love and effort vested in them, but extremely different.

That's pretty cool and I'm sure your boys will want the sets someday.  Ben is already showing some interest in the hobby and if you expose Sam to it when he's older like you have Ben, you have a good chance of Sam picking it up to some degree also.  The real trick will be getting them to maintain their interest in the hobby once they hit high school age!  I'm not sure where my coins are headed later on down the line, but if Candice and I adopt a child, I'll certainly give them exposure to the hobby as well.  If we have a daughter, she'll definitely get my Faustina the Younger collection some day as she will be named after Faustina in some way.....kind of like your 10G's with Ben.  Though, now that I think about it, it's kind of a moot point for us.  We only want to have one child, so little Faustina or Julian (if we adopt a son, that will be his name.  We've already discussed names) will get anything they're interested in that we have.

Edited by Mohawk

Share this comment


Link to comment

The only way you can get one is to buy them. I will not buy something that is free. That makes no sense at all. EBay is overcrowded with Lowell quarters. So far three have been released. Not me. I did get some when my wife went to the bank to get rolls for laundry. She gives me the extras to look throgh. Now I can get out. I'm homebound. Don't you know after a while I had three Lowell. I gave one away.  The other two are in flips. To get a whole set would be like the odds of Vegas. If they show up they show up. The program I believe has flopped. You will find them in circulation years from now all beat up. Sorry it could of been done better. People on ebay with boxes of them. Not for me. To those who find them enjoy them because I think the mintage is lower than they said that's my opinion. How long till the last two are released. Another year? It seems that way. Thanks. 

 

Share this comment


Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now