Highlights of the Heritage World & Ancients Coins CICF Auction include NGC-certified Brazilian rarities.
[DALLAS, TX] – Two Brazilian coins, a Pedro I gold 6400 Reis 1822-R Coronation Piece, and a Joao VI (as King) gold 6400 Reis 1822-R, took top dollar realizing $138,000 in our $8.8+ Million World & Ancient Coins CICF Auction, which took place in Chicago April 25-May 1. All prices include a 15% Buyer's Premium.
Combined with our auctions for US coins and currency, which took place in Chicago the previous weekend, the overall total of our Chicago events over the fortnight rose to nearly $38 million.
The Pedro I coin, the famed "Coronation Piece", is undoubtedly the most important and charismatic piece of Brazilian numismatics. This issue, made in a hurry to be presented to guests of honor at his Inauguration Ball on December 1, 1822, consisted of only 64 pieces, of which 10-12 are known today, mostly in museums. The sale price of $138,000 easily outdistanced the pre-auction estimate of $80,000-$100,000.
The Joao VI Coin, the last issue of colonial Brazil before independence, is so rare that most reference catalogs, rather than giving a value, list it as "Rare" or "RRR". This near-mint example, a nicely struck coin with lustrous surfaces, also realized $138,000 against a pre-auction estimate of $80,000-$100,000.
Just a few of the many other highlights in this auction included:
- Brazil: Maria I & Pedro III gold 6400 Reis 1777-B, KM199.1, AU53 NGC. Sold for: $80,500.
- Great Britain: Charles I gold Triple Unite 1643, S-2727, N-2382, Oxford Mint, Plume initial mark, VF35 NGC. Sold for: $69,000.
- Brazil: Joao V gold 6400 Reis 1734-M, KM135, AU55 NGC. Sold for: $57,500.
- Greece: Constantine I silver Essai 2 Drachmai 1915, KM-E35, Divo-P98, Proof 64 NGC. Sold for: $57,500.
- Manchurian Provinces. Dollar Year 33 (1907), KM-Y212, L&M-487, MS62 NGC. Sold for: $48,875.
- Brazil: Jose I copper 40 Reis 1752, KM184.1, VF Details NGC. Sold for: $43,125.
- Australia: George V gold Sovereign 1921M, KM29, MS62 NGC. Sold for: $34,500.
- Great Britain: Victoria Pattern gold Sovereign 1837, Young Head, plain edge, WR-295, PR63 Ultra Cameo NGC. Sold for: $32,200.
For more prices realized from this auction, please visit the Permanent Auction Archives.
The thoughts and opinions in this piece are those of their author and are not necessarily the thoughts of the Certified Collectibles Group.