NGC-certified Ancient and Vintage European Coins Highlight Gorny & Mosch Sales
Posted on 4/2/2021
More than 130 coins and medals certified by Numismatic Guaranty Corporation® (NGC®) are offered in two auctions hosted by German auction house Gorny & Mosch. Auction 276, which concludes on April 19, 2021, features ancient coins, weights and seals. Auction 277, which ends April 20, 2021, comprises modern coins and medals, focusing on high-quality pieces from German States and the German Empire. Bidding is open and underway.
The top NGC-certified coin in Auction 277 is a Russia 1836 1.5 Ruble graded NGC MS 62 (lot 1872), with an estimate of € 60,000 (about $70,300). The obverse boasts the effigy of Czar Nicholas I, who ruled from 1825 until his death in 1855. Its reverse features busts of the Empress Alexandra and their royal children.
|Sicily, Syracuse c. 405-400 BC (Kimon) Silver Decadrachm
graded NGC Ancients Ch XF, 4/5 Strike and 4/5 Surface, with Fine Style
Click image to enlarge.
The top NGC-certified lot in Auction 276 is a Sicily, Syracuse c. 405-400 BC (Kimon) Silver Decadrachm graded NGC Ancients Ch XF, 4/5 Strike and 4/5 Surface, with Fine Style (lot 50), with an estimate of € 40,000 (about $47,000). The Decadrachm was first issued at the peak of Syracuse’s power, which began after Dionysius I was elected as supreme military commander. The obverse features a chariot behind charging horses with Nike flying overhead, holding a wreath. On the reverse is the bust of the nymph Arethusa.
Other NGC-certified highlights include:
- a Bavaria 1742 10 Ducats graded NGC MS 64★ (lot 1042), with an estimate of € 40,000 (about $46,900)
- a Denmark 1699 2 Ducats graded NGC MS 62 (lot 1680), with an estimate of € 20,000 (about $23,400)
- an Austria 1888 Gold 4 Ducats graded NGC MS 60 (lot 1643), with an estimate of € 20,000 (about $23,000)
- a Russia 1813-dated Gold Medal graded NGC MS 61★ (lot 1868), with an estimate of
€ 15,000 (about $17,500)
- a Germany (Prussia) 1899A 10 Mark graded NGC PF 67 (lot 1495), with an estimate of
€ 10,000 (about $11,700)
- an Austria 1842A 4 Ducats graded NGC MS 61 (lot 1621), with an estimate of € 8,500 (about $9,900)
- a Germany 1850B Hannover 5 Taler graded NGC MS 65★ DPL (lot 1203), with an estimate of € 6,500 (about $7,600)
- a Germany 1798 Taler graded NGC PF 63 (lot 1377), with an estimate of € 6,000 (about $7,000)
- a Germany 1714 Taler graded NGC MS 64 (lot 1319), with an estimate of € 5,500 (about $6,400)
All estimates are provided by the auction house.
Want news like this delivered to your inbox once a month? Subscribe to the free NGC eNewsletter today!