NGC-certified British Gold Coin Realizes Over $275,000 in Japan
Posted on 11/25/2020
British rarities certified by Numismatic Guaranty Corporation® (NGC®) excelled in Ginza Coins’ Auction 32 sale in Tokyo, Japan on November 21, 2020.
|Great Britain 1826 5 Sovereign graded NGC PF 62+ Ultra Cameo. Realized: 28,860,000 JPY (about $277,300 USD)
Click images to enlarge.
The lot with the highest price realized in the sale was a Great Britain 1826 5 Sovereign graded NGC PF 62+ Ultra Cameo. It realized an outstanding 28,860,000 JPY (about $277,300 USD), more than three times its starting price of 8,000,000 JPY (about $76,500 USD). The British gold coin’s impressive auction result reflects the value that NGC certification brings.
A Great Britain 1893 Proof Set of 10 coins graded NGC PF 62 Ultra Cameo to NGC PF 65 raced past its starting price of 4,000,000 (about $38,000 USD), realizing 14,985,000 JPY (about $143,700,000 USD). The Proof Set included British gold and silver coins ranging from 3 Pence to 5 Sovereign.
Meanwhile, an England 1692 "Qvarto" 5 Guineas graded NGC AU 58 realized 13,875,000 JPY (about $133,100 USD). It is well-preserved in strike and tone, with only three recorded in higher grades in the NGC Census.
Other NGC-certified highlights include:
- a Great Britain 1837 Silver Pattern Crown graded NGC MS 67 that realized 8,880,000 JPY (about $85,200 USD)
- a Japan M3(1870) 20 Yen graded NGC MS 62 that realized 5,994,000 (about $57,500 USD)
- a Lydia - Croesus 561-546 BC Gold Stater graded NGC Ancients Ch XF, 5/5 Strike and 4/5 Surface that realized 3,885,000 JPY (about $37,300 USD)
- an Italy 1914R Silver Prova Di Stampa 5 Lire graded NGC MS 65 that realized 2,331,000 JPY (about $22,400 USD)
- a Japan M20(1887) 5 Yen graded NGC MS 66 that realized 2,220,000 JPY (about $21,300 USD)
- a Japan M3(1870) Type 1 Yen graded NGC MS 65 PL that realized 1,110,000 JPY (about $10,600 USD)
All prices realized include buyer’s premium.
Want news like this delivered to your inbox once a month? Subscribe to the free NGC eNewsletter today!