NGC-Certified Rarities from Italy and Elsewhere Featured in Aurora Sale
Posted on 9/9/2020
The Auction Aurora 19 sale is offering an extensive selection of coins from Italy and elsewhere certified by Numismatic Guaranty Corporation® (NGC®), ranging from the Middle Ages through today. The auction of Casa d’Aste Aurora will take place at Hotel Remilia in Reggio Emilia, Italy. Bidding is now open online and ends Saturday, October 3, 2020.
Among the most anticipated coins in the sale is a rare Italy 1821 80 Lire graded NGC AU 58, with a starting price of € 40,000 (about $47,000 USD). NGC has graded fewer than 10 of its kind.
The coin features Victor Emmanuel I, Duke of Savoy and King of Sardinia, who ruled from 1802 to 1821. During his rule, he sought to restore order after the Sardinian revolutionary movements in 1794, a period overwrought with chaos and crime. His nationalist policies incited the Italian revolutions that eventually led to Italy’s unification in 1861.
The reverse depicts the Savoy arms’ spade-shaped shield between two laurel branches with the Collar of the Order below, to represent Sardinia’s return to order and peace. The coin is dated the same year as Victor Emmanuel's abdication in 1821.
Other NGC-certified highlights include:
- an Italy 1786 S 8 Doppie graded NGC AU 53, with a starting price of € 15,000 (about $18,000 USD)
- an Italy 1923R Prova 100 Lire graded NGC PF 63 Matte, with a starting price of € 15,000 (about $18,000 USD)
- an Italy 1787 Papal States XII 10 Zecchini graded NGC MS 60, with a starting price of € 10,000 (about $12,000 USD)
- an Italy 1839A Sovrano graded NGC MS 61, with a starting price of € 6,000 (about $7,200 USD)
- an Egypt AH1351//1932 Gold 500 Piastres graded NGC PF 64, with a starting price of € 6,000 (about $7,200 USD)
- a Russia 1859 Rouble graded NGC MS 62, with a starting price of € 2,300 (about $2,750 USD)
- an Italy 1700 Papal States Piastra graded NGC MS 63+, with a starting price of € 2,200 (about $2,600 USD)
- an Italy 1800 3 Zecchini graded NGC MS 63, with a starting price of € 1,800 (about $2,150 USD)
- an Italy 1702 Tallero graded NGC MS 63+, with a starting price of € 1,500 (about $1,800 USD)
All estimates are provided by the auction house.
Want news like this delivered to your inbox once a month? Subscribe to the free NGC eNewsletter today!