NGC-certified 1839 Britain Proof Set Realizes More Than $400,000 in Japan
Posted on 5/12/2019
A complete 1839 Great Britain Proof Set, which was entirely certified by NGC, realized ¥45,428,000 (about $412,000) at an auction in Japan. The set included 15 gold, silver and copper coins, representing each denomination and type issued in 1839. Among these was an NGC PF 64 Cameo example of the most famous of all British coins, the "Una and the Lion" Gold Five Sovereign.
|This 1839 Great Britain "Una and the Lion" Gold Five Sovereign, graded NGC PF 64 Cameo, is the centerpiece of a 15-coin Proof Set. Realized: ¥45,428,000 (about $412,000 USD)
Click image to enlarge.
The sale was conducted by Auction World Co. Ltd., in association with World Coins Japan, and featured coins and other rare items from all over the world.
Other NGC-certified highlights in the sale included:
- Lot 1334 - China 1994 Year of the Dog 1,000 Yuan, graded NGC PF 69 Ultra Cameo. Realized: ¥6,814,200 (about $62,000 USD).
- Lot 1333 - China 1994 Platinum Inventions and Discoveries set (five 25 Yuan coins), graded NGC PF 68 Ultra Cameo to NGC PF 70 Ultra Cameo. Realized: ¥4,797,640 (about $44,000 USD).
- Lot 1331 - China 1992 Year of the Monkey Gold 500 Yuan, graded NGC PF 69 Ultra Cameo. Realized: ¥4,609,280 (about $42,000 USD).
- Lot 3136 - Czechoslovakia 1934 Gold 10 Ducats - Kremnica Mines, graded NGC MS 62. Realized: ¥4,432,000 (about $40,000 USD).
- Lot 3331 - 1640 Germany - Bavaria 5 Ducat, graded NGC MS 63. Realized: ¥3,988,800 (about $36,000 USD).
- Lot 1328 - China 1990 Year of the Horse Gold 1000 Yuan, graded NGC PF 69 Ultra Cameo. Realized: ¥3,157,800 (about $29,000 USD).
- Lot 3565 - Great Britain 1669 5 Guineas, graded NGC AU 55. Realized ;¥3,102,400 (about $28,000 USD).
- Lot 3003 - Lydia Gold Stater - Croesus (561-546 BC), graded NGC Ancients Ch XF with a 5/5 Strike and a 5/5 Surface. Realized: ¥2,991,600 (about $27,000 USD).
Want news like this delivered to your inbox once a month? Subscribe to the free NGC eNewsletter today!