NGC Registry Sets Lead the Way in Bowers and Merena's Official Auction of the 2005 ANA National Money Show
Posted on 4/1/2005
As the Official Auctioneer of the 2005 ANA National Money Show, Bowers and Merena will be conducting an important three-session sale April 7 - 8 in Kansas City, Missouri. The auction sessions are scheduled as follows:
April 7, 2005
April 8, 2005
Lots 2001-2050, 3001-3647
April 8, 2005
All times listed are Central Standard Time (CST). Bidders should take note that the treasures of the S.S. Republic Sale, Lots 2001-2050, are being presented in a separate, stand-alone catalog. The coins will be offered at the start of Session Three.
"We are delighted that the ANA selected Bowers and Merena as the Official Auctioneer of their 2005 Kansas City National Money Show," stated Bowers and Merena President Steve Deeds. "It is a wonderful honor to work with the ANA to promote the diverse programs through which they bring numismatic experience to collectors across the country. It is my hope that bidders in this sale will also take great pride in the opportunity they have to support the leading organization in the numismatic hobby."
According to Bowers and Merena Director of Numismatics Jeff Ambio, "The Robert Moreno Collection is one of the most important offerings in our April 2005 ANA National Money Show Auction. It is comprised of three fabulous NGC Registry Sets. Mr. Moreno hand picked the coins himself, and many of the pieces in his collection are high end or premium quality for the assigned grade. The Proof Buffalo Nickel Set is currently ranked #1 on the NGC Registry, and the Business Strike Buffalo Nickel and Standing Liberty Quarter Sets rank #2 on the same registry. Also of note is the fact that Mr. Moreno's Business Strike Buffalo Nickel Set received a 2003 Best Classic Set Award from NGC."
"Another fabulous collection that is anchoring this year's ANA National Money Show Auction is Part III of the Rod Sweet Collection," Deeds stated. "Among other important rarities, this collection features several high-quality early Mint, Proof, and Commemorative Sets. The 1834 Partial Mint Set is complete for all minor and silver denominations, and it also includes examples of the first-year Classic Quarter Eagle and Half Eagle. There is also an 1846 Partial Mint Set, as well as an 1865 minor and silver-coin Proof Set. Finally, the Rod Sweet 1915 Panama-Pacific Commemorative Set is comprised of an example of each Panama-Pacific Commemorative coin, an original leather presentation case, and an original copper frame by Shreve & Co."
"Our 2005 ANA National Money Show Auction also includes two particularly important offerings for gold collectors," continued Deeds. "The first is the High River Collection, which specializes in high-grade and/or Condition Census gold from the Southern branch mints at Charlotte and Dahlonega. The second is our Treasures of the S.S. Republic Sale, which is being offered in a separate catalog. The lovely Eagles and Double Eagle from the wreck of this historic steamship are being offered at the start of Session Three."
To view the online catalogs for the 2005 ANA National Money Show Auction and the treasures of the S.S. Republic Sale, visit the Bowers and Merena Web site, www.bowersandmerena.com. Internet bids are also being accepted at that address. To order printed catalogs, register for other bidding methods, or to find out about the lot viewing schedule, contact Bowers and Merena toll free at 800-458-4646.
Highlights from the Robert Moreno Collection
- 1913 Type II Buffalo Nickel NGC Proof-68 (NGC Census: 5/0)
- 1915 Buffalo Nickel NGC Proof-69 (NGC Census: 1/0)
- 1926-S Buffalo Nickel NGC MS-65
- 1937-D 3-Legged Buffalo Nickel NGC MS-66
- 1938-D/S Buffalo Nickel NGC MS-68 (NGC Census: 1/0)
- 1916 Standing Liberty Quarter NGC MS-67
- 1918/7-S Standing Liberty Quarter NGC MS-64 FH
- 1927-D Standing Liberty Quarter NGC MS-67 FH (NGC Census: 1/0)
- 1927-S Standing Liberty Quarter NGC MS-65 FH
Highlights from the Rod Sweet Collection
- 1834 Capped Bust Half Dime NGC MS-68
- 1834 Small Date, Stars, and Letters Capped Bust Half Dollar NGC MS-67
- 1834 Classic Quarter Eagle NGC MS-66*
- 1834 Plain 4 Classic Half Eagle NGC MS-65
- 1865 Seated Liberty Quarter NGC Proof-68* Ultra Cameo
- 1865 Gold Dollar NGC Proof-66 Ultra Cameo
- 1865 Liberty Quarter Eagle NGC Proof-66* Ultra Cameo
- 1915-S Panama-Pacific $50 Round NGC MS-64
- 1915-S Panama-Pacific $50 Octagonal NGC MS-64
Highlights from the High River Collection
- 1853-C Gold Dollar NGC MS-63
- 1844-C Liberty Quarter Eagle NGC MS-61
- 1848-C Liberty Quarter Eagle NGC MS-61
- 1854-C Liberty Quarter Eagle NGC MS-60
- 1860-C Liberty Quarter Eagle NGC AU-58
- 1844-D Liberty Half Eagle NGC MS-62
- 1849-D Liberty Half Eagle NGC MS-61
- 1855-C Liberty Half Eagle NGC MS-62
- 1856-C Liberty Half Eagle NGC MS-61
Highlights from the Treasures of the S.S. Republic
- 1862 Liberty Eagle NGC MS-64
- 1850-O Doubled O Liberty Double Eagle NGC AU-55
- 1853/2 Liberty Double Eagle NGC AU-58
- 1865 Liberty Double Eagle NGC MS-65
- 1815 Capped Bust Quarter NGC MS-67
- 1827/3 Restrike Capped Bust Quarter NGC Proof-65
- 1796 16 Stars Draped Bust Half Dollar NGC VG-8
- 1839 Gobrecht Dollar, Judd-104 Restrike, NGC Proof-63
- 1831 Capped Head Left Quarter Eagle NGC MS-66*
- 1860 Three-Dollar Gold NGC Proof-66 Cameo
- 1834 Plain 4 Capped Head Left Half Eagle NGC MS-61
This article contributed by Bowers & Merena.