Stack’s Bowers And Ponterio Sells Millions In Hong Kong
Posted on 5/14/2013
[Irvine, Calif. (April 16, 2013)] – Stack's Bowers and Ponterio conducted their bi-annual Hong Kong sale from April 1-3 at the Sheraton Hotel in Kowloon. The sale featured more than 2,500 lots of Chinese and other Asian rarities, including both coins and paper money, and realized a strong $6,307,830. At almost all times, there was standing room only in the auction room, and throughout the auction the bidding was extremely competitive. Executive vice president Rick Ponterio noted, “Last week’s auction in Hong Kong proved that the Asian numismatic market is thriving. In fact, across the board, the market is demonstrably stronger than this time last year. Demand for high quality rarities is high, and the prices realized clearly reinforce this fact. We are looking forward to another successful auction later this year.”
Among the many impressive realizations from this sale were several notable highlights. Gold coins featured a Pattern K'uping Tael, an experimental issue that was never released into circulation. Graded MS 62 by NGC, this lovely coin sold for an incredibly strong $131,450. Provincial issues boasted an attractive Large Characters Hupeh Tael graded MS 63 (NGC). With light, pretty toning, this example from the short-lived series sold for a hefty $101,575. Taiwan issues presented a wonderful example of the “Old Man” Dollar, which was the very first silver dollar of China. With lovely toning and a good strike, this beautiful coin realized $71,700.
Session C was comprised of Asian and world paper money and offered a nicely balanced selection of Chinese and other Asian and world notes. Chinese foreign bank issues included a rare and choice Russo-Asiatic Bank $500 note, a gorgeously designed and colorful note that sold for a strong $20,315. Hong Kong notes showcased a nice run of Chartered Bank of India, Australia & China notes, including an incredible PMG Gem Uncirculated-66 EPQ $100 Color Trial specimen that climbed to $19,120. This section also featured a pleasing group of notes from the Straits Settlements, including a Government of the Straits Settlements $5 graded PMG Extremely Fine 40.Wonderfully detailed and bold, this note is near the top of the PMG population report, as evidenced by its strong realized price of $7,170.
NGC and PMG Highlights of the Stack’s Bowers and Ponterio April 2013 Hong Kong Sale include:
- Lot 20357, CHINA. 150 Yuan, 1996. Unicorn Series. NGC PROOF 69 ULTRA CAMEO. Realized $16,730
- Lot 20423, CHINA. Vault Protector, ND (1990). NGC PROOF 69 ULTRA CAMEO. Realized $71,700
- Lot 20651, THAILAND. 4 Bhat (Pit), ND (1863). NGC MS 64. Realized $15,535
- Lot 21058, CHINA. Pattern K'uping Tael Struck in Gold, CD (1906). Tientsin Mint. NGC MS 62. Realized $131,450
- Lot 21062, CHINA. Shangtung. 10 Dollars Pattern Struck in Gold, Year 15 (1926). Tientsin Mint. NGC MS 65. Realized $83,650
- Lot 21319, CHINA. Hupeh. Tael, Year 30 (1904). NGC MS 63. Realized $101,575
- Lot 21431, CHINA. Kwangtung. 7.2 Candareens (10 Cents), ND (1890). NGC MS 62. Realized $50,788
- Lot 21483, CHINA. Szechuan. Pattern 7 Mace 2 Candareens (Dollar) Struck in Brass, ND (1897). NGC MS 62. Realized $47,800
- Lot 21504, CHINA. Taiwan. "Old Man" Dollar, ND (1838-1850). NGC AU Details--Chopmarked. Realized $71,700
- Lot 22011, CHINA--EMPIRE. Imperial Bank of China. 5 Mace, 14.11.1898. PMG Choice Uncirculated 64. Realized $19,120
- Lot 22252, HONG KONG. Chartered Bank of India, Australia & China. $10, 1.12.1911. PMG Choice Uncirculated 64. Realized $11,950
- Lot 22253, HONG KONG. Chartered Bank of India, Australia & China. $100, 2.12.1929. PMG Gem Uncirculated 66 EPQ. Realized $19,120
- Lot 22277, HONG KONG. Hong Kong and Shanghai Banking Corporation. $50, 1.1.1901. PMG Choice Uncirculated 64. Realized $15,535
- Lot 22399, MALAYA AND BRITISH BORNEO. Board of Commissioners of Currency. $50, ND (1953). PMG Choice Uncirculated 64 Net. Realized $20,315
- Lot 22439, STRAITS SETTLEMENTS. Government of the Straits Settlements. $5, 20.6.1921. PMG Extremely Fine 40. Realized $7,170
- Lot 22452, STRAITS SETTLEMENTS. Government of the Straits Settlements. $100, 24.9.1925. PMG Very Fine 30 Net. Realized $10,755
- Lot 22460, STRAITS SETTLEMENTS. Government of the Straits Settlements. $10, 1.1.1933. PMG Choice Very Fine 35 Net. Realized $11,353
Stack’s Bowers and Ponterio is currently accepting consignments for their next sale in Hong Kong, which will take place in August 2013, as well as for the Official Auction of the August 2013 World’s Fair of Money, which will take place in Chicago, and the November 2013 Whitman Coin and Collectibles Baltimore Expo. For a complete list of prices realized in the Stack’s Bowers and Ponterio April 2013 Hong Kong Auction, visit www.stacksbowers.com or call us at 800.458.4646. To consign to an upcoming sale, contact Stack’s Bowers and Ponterio at 800.458.4646 (West Coast office) or 800.566.2580 (East Coast office), or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The thoughts and opinions in the piece are those of their author and are not necessarily the thoughts of the Certified Collectibles Group.