Stack's Bowers and Ponterio to Present More Than 2,200 Lots at the Official June Baltimore Auction
Posted on 6/14/2011
[IRVINE, Calif.] – The Stack’s Bowers Galleries June 2011 Official Baltimore Auction will feature 7,107 total lots, including three foreign coin and paper money sessions by Stack’s Bowers and Ponterio, presenting more than 2,200 lots. In addition, there will be four U.S. coin sessions and one U.S. currency session. Lot viewing will be conducted onsite at the Baltimore Convention Center June 13-18. The auction will be held at the Baltimore Convention Center beginning Tuesday, June 14, concluding Saturday, June 18.
“Stack’s Bowers and Ponterio has become a main fixture at the Baltimore show, as we conduct three major world auctions per year at this venue,” said Rick Ponterio, executive vice president. “We are proud to offer collectors a regular tri-annual venue for foreign and ancient coins, as well as world paper money, and we certainly have an exceptional selection crossing the auction block for this turn. Mexican gold and silver coinage is well represented, and a run of Peruvian gold 8 escudos is also destined to see strong bidder competition. Other areas of importance in our June 2011 Baltimore Auction are Chinese silver coins, as well as Iranian and Palestinian paper money.”
World coin highlights of the Stack’s Bowers and Ponterio June 2011 Baltimore Auction include:
- Afghanistan, 2 ½ Amani, SH 1306/9 (1927), Fr-33, KM-914, AU-58 (NGC)
- Belgium, 20 Francs, 1835, Fr-404, KM-A23.3, Delm-1263, MS-63 (NGC)
- China, Dollar, Year 21 (1932), L&M-108, K-622, Y-344, Hsu-95, “Birds Over Junk,” MS-64 (NGC)
- Mexico, 8 Reales, 1824-MoJM, “Hookneck,” KM-A376.5, HO-MO8/MR8, DP-Mo02, “REPULICA” Spelling Error, Fine-15 (NGC)
- Mexico, Peso, 1901-ZsAZ , KM-409.3, Very Fine
- Mexico, 8 Escudos, 1715-J, Fr-6, KM-57.2, Cal-Type-24#109, Extremely Fine
- Peru, 8 Escudos, (1)712-M, Fr-7, KM-38.2, Cal-Type-5#23, Extremely Fine
- Peru, 4 Escudos, (1)712-M, Fr-8, KM-37, Cal-Type-40#215, Extremely Fine
- Peru, 8 Escudos, (1(750-R, Fr-12, KM-47, Cal-Type-5#17, AU-50 (NGC)
- Russia, 5 Rubles, 1782-CNB, Fr-130B, C-78b, Bit-74, MS-62 (NGC)
World paper money highlights of the Stack’s Bowers and Ponterio June 2011 Baltimore Auction include:
- Iran, Imperial Bank of Persia, 1 Toman, 12.2.1924, P-1b, Choice Extremely Fine 45 (PMG)
- Iran, Imperial Bank of Persia, 2 Tomans, 26.10.1908, P-2, Fine-Very Fine
- Iran, Imperial Bank of Persia, 5 Tomans, 28.10.1910, P-3, Fine
- Iran, Imperial Bank of Persia, 100 Romans, 1.7.1901, P-8s, About Uncirculated 55 (PMG)
- Iran, Bank Melli Iran, 10,000 Rials, AH1317 (1938), P-38c, Choice Uncirculated 63 (PMG)
- Lebanon, Banque De Syrie Et Du Liban, 25 Livres, 1945, P-51s, Choice About Uncirculated
- Palestine, Palestine Currency Board, 500 Mils, 1.9.1927, P-6a, Very Fine
- Palestine, Palestine Currency Board, 5 Pounds, 1.9.1927, P-8a, Fine-Very Fine
- Palestine, Palestine Currency Board, 10 Pounds, 30.9.1929, P-9b, Choice Fine15 (PMG)
All lot descriptions and images in the June 2011 Baltimore Auction can be viewed online at the Stack’s Bowers Galleries website, www.stacksbowers.com. Printed catalogs are available upon request by calling 949.253.0916. Online bidding is open for world lots and pre-auction bids will be accepted at www.stacksbowers.com; by email at firstname.lastname@example.org; by phone at 949.253.0916; by fax at 949.253.4091; and by postal mail addressed to Stack’s Bowers and Ponterio, Baltimore June 2011, 18061 Fitch, Irvine, CA, 92614. Interested bidders are also encouraged to view lots onsite in Baltimore in June and bid in-person at the live auction, or live online through the Stack’s Bowers Galleries website. A complete auction and lot viewing schedule is available at www.stacksbowers.com or by calling 949.253.0916.
About Stack’s Bowers and Ponterio:
Stack’s Bowers and Ponterio is the world and ancients auction division of Stack’s Bowers Galleries. It was founded in 1982 as Ponterio & Associates by Richard Ponterio, renowned specialist in world and ancient numismatics, who is now executive vice president of Stack’s Bowers Galleries. Past auctions have included such notable coin collections as the Wa She Wong Collection, the John S. Davenport Collection, the Witte Museum Collection, the Amat Collection, the Joe Lasser Collection, and the James Hunnicut Collection. Distinguished paper money collections include the East Bay Collection of International Bank Notes, and the Eduard Kann Chinese Bank Note Collection, along with treasure collections from the shipwrecks “Nicobar,” “Rooswijk,” and “Capitana.”
For more information about the Stack’s Bowers and Ponterio June 2011 Baltimore Auction, call 949.253.0916 or visit www.stacksbowers.com.
The thoughts and opinions in the piece are those of their author and are not necessarily the thoughts of the Certified Collectibles Group.