Stack's Bowers Galleries to Conduct Official June 2011 Baltimore Auction
Posted on 6/14/2011
[IRVINE, Calif.] – The Stack’s Bowers Galleries June 2011 Baltimore Auction will feature 7,107 total lots, including more than 4,100 lots of U.S. coins and exonumia and an additional 680+ lots of U.S. currency, plus over 1,700 lots of world coins and 520+ lots of world paper money. Lot viewing will be conducted by appointment onsite at the Baltimore Convention Center June 13-18. The auction will be held at the Baltimore Convention Center beginning Tuesday, June 14, concluding Saturday, June 18, and will present four U.S. coin sessions, one U.S. currency session, and three foreign coin and paper money sessions.
According to Stack’s Bowers Galleries president Chris Napolitano: “Once again, Stack’s Bowers Galleries will be bringing a wide variety of important and desirable US coin, currency and exonumia lots to the Whitman Coin and Collectibles Baltimore Expo. Our official auction of the June 2011 event features several anchor consignments, many with ‘fresh’ coins that have been off the market for decades and are newly certified for presentation in this sale. Great ‘collector coins’ also abound, as do classic rarities and even esoteric items such as a letter signed by President William McKinley that accompanies a 1900 Lafayette commemorative silver dollar and the die for a Rhode Island trade token. Truly, this sale offers something for everyone.”
U.S. coin and exonumia highlights of the Stack’s Bowers Galleries Official June 2011 Baltimore Auction include:
- 1652 Massachusetts Bay Colony Oak Tree Shilling, Noe-10, “Ghost Tree,” EF-40 (NGC), Ex: Roper Collection
- 1918/7-D Buffalo Nickel, MS-64 (NGC)
- 1792 Half Disme, Judd-7, AU-58 (NGC)
- 1836 Capped Bust Half Dollar, Reeded Edge, MS-64 (NGC)
- 1795 Flowing Hair Silver Dollar, B-1, Two Leaves, MS-63 (NGC), Ex: Eliasberg
- 1854 Seated Liberty Silver Dollar, Proof-64 Ultra Cameo (NGC), Combined PCGS and NGC Population: just 1 in all grades with a Deep/Ultra Cameo designation
- 1895 Morgan Silver Dollar, Proof-68 Ultra Cameo (NGC)
- 1911-D Indian Quarter Eagle, MS-65 (NGC)
- 1810 Capped Bust Left Half Eagle, Large Date, Large 5, MS-65 (NGC)
- 1890 Liberty Half Eagle, MS-68 (NGC)
- 1894 Liberty Half Eagle, Proof-66 Cameo (NGC)
- 1895 Liberty Double Eagle, MS-65 (NGC)
- 1908 Saint-Gaudens Double Eagle, Motto, Proof-67 (NGC)
- 1912 Saint-Gaudens Double Eagle, Proof-67 (NGC)
- 1915-S Panama-Pacific Exposition $50, Round, MS-62 (NGC)
- 1869 Pattern Liberty Eagle, Judd-783, Unique (?), Proof-62 (NGC), From the Jarapendo Collection, Earlier Ex: King Farouk
- 1818 Pattern Cent by Jacob Perkins, Judd-C1818-1, Rarity-7, AU-58 BN (NGC)
- 1851 Augustus Humbert $50 Gold, Lettered Edge, 50 D C, 887 THOUS., 50 on Reverse, AU-53 (Uncertified)
- 1943 New York Assay Office Gold Bar, 9.73 ounces, .9998 fine
2-2-2 STACK’S BOWERS GALLERIES JUNE 2011 PRE-SALE HIGHLIGHTS
- 1969 United States Assay Office Gold Ingot, 6.39 ounces, .9998 fine
U.S. currency highlights of the Stack's Bowers Galleries Official June 2011 Baltimore Auction include:
- Fr. 1217, 1922 $500 Gold Certificate, Very Fine 25 (PMG)
- Hollidaysburg, Pennsylvania, Central bank of Pennsylvania, ND (18xx), $5, Gem Uncirculated 66 EPQ (PMG), Proof – (PA-175 G8a)
All lot descriptions and images in the June 2011 Baltimore Auction can be viewed online at the Stack’s Bowers Galleries website, www.stacksbowers.com. Printed catalogs are available upon request by calling 800.458.4646. Online bidding has begun and pre-auction bids will be accepted at www.stacksbowers.com; by email at email@example.com; by phone at 800.458.4646; by fax at 949.253.4091; and by postal mail addressed to Stack’s Bowers Galleries, Baltimore June 2011, 18061 Fitch, Irvine, CA, 92614. Interested bidders are also encouraged to view lots onsite in Baltimore in June and bid in-person at the live auction, or live online through the Stack’s Bowers Galleries. A complete auction and lot viewing schedule is available at www.stacksbowers.com or by calling 800.458.4646.
About Stack’s Bowers Galleries:
Stack's Bowers Galleries, a division of Fortune 500 Company Spectrum Group International Inc., was launched in January 2011, combining the extraordinary histories of Stack's, the oldest rare coin auction and retail company in America, with Bowers and Merena Auctions, one of the world’s pre-eminent auctioneers of rare coins and paper money. The two companies unite to share a combined legacy that spans more than 100 years, and includes the cataloging and sale of many of the most valuable collections to ever cross an auction block – the John. J. Ford, Jr. and Louis E. Eliasberg collections, the Harry W. Bass, Jr. Collection, and the Norweb Collection, to name just a few. Topping off this amazing numismatic history is the inclusion of the world record for the highest price ever realized at auction for a rare coin, the legendary 1933 St. Gaudens Double Eagle which realized an astounding $7.59 million (sold in partnership with Sotheby’s). The company is headquartered in Irvine, California, with offices in New York and New Hampshire. Stack’s Bowers Galleries is the Official Auctioneer for several important numismatic conventions, including the ANA World’s Fair of Money and ANA/PNG Pre-Show, and the Whitman Coin and Collectibles Expos in Baltimore, three times yearly, and Philadelphia.
For more information about Stack’s Bowers Galleries June 2011 Baltimore Auction, call 800.458.4646 or visit www.stacksbowers.com.
The thoughts and opinions in the piece are those of their author and are not necessarily the thoughts of the Certified Collectibles Group.