Bowers and Merena’s June Baltimore Auction Exceeds $8 Million in Sales
Posted on 7/20/2010
[IRVINE, Calif.] — Bowers and Merena Auctions, one of the world’s preeminent auctioneers for rare coins and currency, realized more than $8 million as the Official Auctioneer of the June 2010 Whitman Coin & Collectibles Baltimore Expo. The eight-session sale, occurring June 17-19, included more than 6,000 lots of U.S. coins and currency, ancient and foreign coins and foreign paper money.
Prices realized for US coins and currencies amounted to $6,438,778. Ponterio & Associates, division of Bowers and Merena Auctions, added an additional $1,608,082 in prices realized with ancient and foreign coins and paper money.
"Our highly successful June 2010 Baltimore Auction saw spirited bidding for many different areas of US numismatics,” said Steve Deeds, president of Bowers and Merena Auctions. “Specialists in classic gold coinage were particularly enthused about our offering of the Windermere Collection of rare-date Liberty Double Eagles. The highlight of that collection is clearly lot 3847, the 1861-S A.C. Paquet Reverse in NGC AU 50 that traded hands for $69,000."
An important and rare one-year type, the 1861-S Paquet features an experimental reverse that proved unsuitable for regular issue production and widespread circulation. The San Francisco Mint struck only 19,250 examples of this issue before returning to the traditional Liberty Double Eagle reverse design by Chief Engraver James Barton Longacre.
Additional NGC highlights in the Bowers and Merena June 2010 Baltimore Auction include:
- Lot 3606, 1797 Capped Bust Right Half Eagle, Small Eagle, BD-3, HBCC-3047, Miller-19, Rarity-6, 16 Stars, AU 58 (NGC), realized $138,000
- Lot 3606, 1795 Capped Bust Right Half Eagle, Small Eagle, BD-8, HBCC-3041, Millwer-10, Rarity-5+, MS 61 (NGC), realized $71,428
- Lot 3847, 1861-S Liberty Double Eagle, A.C. Paquet Reverse, AU 50 (NGC), realized $69,000
- Lot 3841, 1860-O Liberty Double Eagle, Winter Variety One, the only known dies, AU 58 (NGC), realized $63,250
- Lot 3833, 1855-O Liberty Double Eagle, Winter Variety One, the only known dies, AU 55 (NGC), realized $50,025
- Lot 3839, 1859-O Liberty Double Eagle, Winter Variety One, the only known dies, AU 55 (NGC), realized$46,000
- Lot 3442, 1849 Oregon Exchange Company $5 Gold, K-1, Rarity-5, AU Details-Tooled (NGC), realized $37,950
- Lot 1719, 1797 Draped Bust Half Dime, LM-2, V-4, Rarity-4, 16 Stars, MS 64 (NGC), CAC, realized $35,650
- Lot 3617, 1808 Capped Bust Left Half Eagle, BD-3, HBCC-3114, Miller-105/106, Rarity-4, Normal SD, MS 63 (NGC), realized $21,288
For a complete list of prices realized for Bowers and Merena June 2010 Baltimore Auction, visit the Bowers and Merena website at
This is a guest article. The thoughts and opinions in this piece are those of their author and are not necessarily the thoughts of the Certified Collectibles Group.