NGC-certified US Gold Coins Will Realize Six Figures in Heritage Sale
Posted on 8/4/2022
Several vintage US coins certified by Numismatic Guaranty Company™ (NGC®) will realize over $100,000 in an upcoming Heritage Auctions sale. An 1857-S Double Eagle from the historic SS Central America wreckage and 1915-S Panama-Pacific Round $50 Commemorative are among the top NGC-certified highlights in the US Coin Signature Auction, which will conclude on August 22-28, 2022.
More than two weeks before the sale, bidding had already surpassed $100,000 for the 1857-S Double Eagle (lot 4108) that was recovered from the wreck of the SS Central America. Graded NGC MS 67★, this particular example is surpassed by only two others in the NGC Census and is the highest grade to also have earned the NGC Star (★) Designation for exceptional eye appeal, highly desired by collectors.
|1857-S Double Eagle graded NGC MS 67★ and pedigreed to the SS Central America
Click images to enlarge.
Another stunning offering is a 1915-S Panama-Pacific Round $50 Commemorative graded NGC MS 66 (lot 4175). This commemorative was distributed at San Francisco’s Panama-Pacific Expo, which celebrated the opening of the Panama Canal as well as the recovery of the city after a devastating earthquake. Fewer than 500 of the $50 round version were sold, making them rarer than the octagonal version that was offered concurrently.
Meanwhile, an incredible collection of over 100 Massachusetts silver coins dated to the early colonial era is also featured in the sale. These coins are from the prestigious Christopher J. Salmon Collection.
Other NGC-certified highlights in the sale include:
- an 1815 Quarter graded NGC MS 67+★ and pedigreed to the Eric P. Newman Collection and “Col.” E.H.R. Green (lot 3912)
- an 1831 Quarter graded NGC PF 66 (lot 3915)
- a 1916 Walking Liberty Half Dollar Pattern graded NGC PF 64 and pedigreed to the Pryor Collection (lot 4217)
- a 1921 Peace Dollar graded NGC PF 65 Matte (lot 3982)
- a 1796 Stars Quarter Eagle graded NGC AU 50 (lot 4000)
- an 1862 Half Eagle graded NGC PF 65★ Cameo and pedigreed to the Twin Maples Collection (lot 3385)
- an 1876-CC Half Eagle graded NGC MS 62 (lot 4053)
- a 1929 Indian Half Eagle graded NGC MS 64 (lot 4063)
- an 1866 Motto Eagle graded NGC PF 66 Ultra Cameo (lot 4099)
- an 1851 Humbert “887” Reeded $50 graded NGC AU 53 (lot 4184)