• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can we retire a Registry Set and leave it posted as "All-Time Finest ... "

4 posts in this topic

Hey everybody,

We're all busily building our NGC Registry sets. But what happens if we break up a set and sell it off? On the PCGS Registry, if the set was at least 90% complete, and within the all-time top five for the series, the set remains forever displayed on the "All-Time Finest" list (unless and until it is displaced someday by finer sets). Of course the deleted set disappears from the "Current Finest" list.

How do we do this here? My proof shield set is now but a mere shadow of its former spectacular self, because I have sold a number of coins. I have dutifully deleted the sold coins from my Registry set, and/or posted my lower grade duplicates in their stead. But now any new collectors or new visitors to the NGC Registry will never be able to see the once magnificent Sunnywood set !!! They will not see the composition of the set when it was at its peak, and was the all-time finest proof shield nickel set. How do we get around this? Can I just leave coins up there even after I have sold them? Or is the NGC Registry only for "Current" sets ?? Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

Sunnywood

Hey Sunnywood, haven't seen you around in a while.

I hope that NGC would allow a way to have All-Time sets. I ended up raiding my 20th Century Type set to pay some bills and prep to buy a house. It was 100% complete beforehand, now it's down to 65% or so.

Would be nice to have the capability to remember that set as it was in case I don't get the opportunity to rebuild it.

Hi Sunnywood!

It's been a while...

Anyway, I agree that it would be fab if we can have an All-Time listing as well.

One minor complication to your situation is that you haven't actually retired your Shield set. So, they'll need to think about the possibility that you'll one day build it back up to its former glory. Then, do you have 2 sets listed in the All-Time listing, or take the current, or take the one with the higher point total?

EVP

Is there anything wrong in having 2 sets. There are several #2 sets in the Registry now. The only problem that I could see is using the same coins a second time. Then you get into an ethical quandry.