• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post a medal or a token.

385 posts in this topic

Here is a medal commemorating Thomas Edison and "Lights Golden Jubilee." Mostly a normal medal but with special interest for me. In addition to coins, My Father has also collected antique lightbulbs all his life. I would venture to guess that there are well over a thousand still in his collection, from all over the world, and even including some Edison orginals. Like coins, there is an entire universe of Antique Bulb Collectors, however much smaller. The amazing thing is that many of his bulbs still burn!!!!

Rey

EdisonObv-1.jpg

EdisonRev.jpg

Do you guys have any suggestions on cleaning this Hudson, its aluminum?

Wheel cleaner, Turtle wax, Mcquires Gold,rubbing compound,toilet bowl cleaner grin.gif

1815947-Picture024.jpg

1815947-Picture025.jpg

1815947-Picture025.jpg.42004937ea092d5b592e3a3c77ba59a9.jpg

Hi Larry. Congress Hall was a hotel in Saratoga Springs, a tourist hot spot (literally as it was an area of hot springs). Construction began in 1811 and was Gideon Putman's second hotel in the area after Union Hall. Here is some general history. I'm not sure how your token was used but it might have something to do with that hotel.

Great information. Thanks

Any thoughts on who William R Brown was?

I'd say it would be a pretty good guess to say that William R Brown is the person in this article which says:
Col. Wm. R. BROWN, of the (19th) 168th Regiment, which is stationed at Fort Magruder, Williamsburgh, Va., is at his home in Newburgh, quite ill. [...]

Colonel Brown is a merchant and manufacturer, extensively known and very highly respected. He makes good use of his wealth, being noted for his enterprise and generosity. He is a War Democrat, and true as steel. Has a military reputation of long standing. [...]

Wm. R. BROWN.

Colonel 168th regiment New York Volunteers,

(19th regiment National Guard, State of New York.)

Newburgh, NY is on the Hudson and very close to West Point. Saratoga Springs would have been a popular vacation destination for people in Newburgh and lower NY.

Zoins, I am actually heading up to Buchanan, MI today for a cookout, and that's just to the west of Niles! It's funny how you can never know such things exist and then out of nowhere you make a connection!

Zoins, I am actually heading up to Buchanan, MI today for a cookout, and that's just to the west of Niles! It's funny how you can never know such things exist and then out of nowhere you make a connection!
That sounds great jtryka. I'm getting hungry thinking about it already! I agree and think it's really interesting to find things that connect to local areas, especially when the items are not very well known and the places are close by! Have fun smile.gif

I'm going to revive this thread with this splendid architectural medal by Jacques Wiener I got yesterday at Long Beach. It is incredibly detailed, and the reverse is deeply convex to help with the issue of perspective.

wiener-rome.jpg

GOSH ! i wonder if the engraver went blind after working on the reverse of this !!!

hi.gif

There's a brief biographical sketch here (Jacques Wiener), so the answer is yes, though it took a few more medals.

Please let me first say that I don't own this.

I'm thinking this and the image belong to a member here.

I never post something I don't own but this one is just off the chart on the coolness scale. 3dmetal.jpg

I don't care who's it is. That is way off the WOW scale. It looks like you could walk through that medal.

MercP

Please let me first say that I don't own this.

I'm thinking this and the image belong to a member here.

I never post something I don't own but this one is just off the chart on the coolness scale. 3dmetal.jpg

I think it was braddick who showed us this Pope Pius IX medal, but I couldn't find it in a search. I could be wrong.

Chris

I remember that medal, the first time it was posted, I thought it was a time portal you could step through so you could speak to Pope Pius IX (1846–1878) at the Vatican.

Amazing detail...simply amazing.

It seems the mint used a few of thier circulating coinage designs on medals & tokens also huh? I've noticed this especially with this last one Larry. It would be curious to know how many medals/tokens there are with either and Obv or Rev of a former/current circulating coin design. confused-smiley-013.gif

It seems the mint used a few of thier circulating coinage designs on medals & tokens also huh? I've noticed this especially with this last one Larry. It would be curious to know how many medals/tokens there are with either and Obv or Rev of a former/current circulating coin design. confused-smiley-013.gif

There are many. The reason for that is that it increased the likelihood one could get other people to accept a token in place of real money. There are many examples of copper or brass tokens that borrowed design elements from gold coins of the period or gold coins from earlier periods that had significant values.

For example there are a large numbers of Civil War tokens that had a liberty head figure than bore a resemblance to the early U.S. gold pieces. Since those early gold pieces contained more gold than their face value, it was thought that the tokens would gain people’s attention in a positive light. And of course when these pieces were new and bright red, the gold illusion worked even better.

Bill nailed it and I feel that same idea still works today.

When folks see a token that looks like an old US coin they start thinking that it must have some value and they do. It's just not as much as many might think. I love to look around Ebay at this type of stuff. A few bucks can buy some really cool items.

This lady lost the hatchet fight she was in.

I'm thinking it was dug up. It's a strange looking token.

Image_0693.jpg

Image_0690.jpg

it look sliek a hard times token but alas i do not have my hard times token book on me

Thanks Bill for the reply. I know when I see one with a US design on it, it makes me look twice. I'm not much of a token or medal person, but these do catch my eye more and more lately. Of course this post and shown some very beautiful designs.