• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post a medal or a token.

385 posts in this topic

Bucklin's bookkeeping hard times token. Any HTT from the West Troy, NY area will be interesting as the diecutters didn't seem to be that good, so they have a charming crudeness to them.

htt-low145-bucklin.jpg

C&D (Chesapeake & Delaware) can token issued by John Randel Jr, apparently for construction. This is a token I want to do more reading up on, because apparently it gets quite intriguing.

cd_canal1.jpg

John Bolen 1869 medallic store card. John Bolen is best known nowadays for his struck copies of certain colonial coins. He also issued a series of medalets and storecards. This one is copper and has a stated mintage of 28, and was previously in the John Ford and FCC Boyd collections.

bolen-1869-storecard.jpg

Take Ayer's Pills encased postage stamp. Encased postage stamps were a civil war money substitute based on postage stamps, after it was realized the postage stamp envelopes and other stamp-based substitute money forms did not last long in circulation.

eps-ayers-hb18.jpg

Mike,

Unfortunately it is not gold, I believe it is probably bronze but I am not sure. Here is a picture that better depicts it's true color in natural light. The entire obverse is the more gold color in the right field, the reddish tint shouldn't be there. The picture above was taken in the evening in my office under low light.

I am not sure where it originated or when we acquired it, it was part of our collection. It is about the size of a half dollar, a little thinner. You probably know all about the Cathedral but here are some tid bits of history I found on it while looking into this medal. I have not researched the piece enough to determine specifics on it though.

It is the mother church of the Episcopal Diocese of New York and the seat of its Bishop. Originally chartered in 1873. Designed after a contest between 68 architects. 1956 Martin Luther King preaches for the second anniversary of Brown versus Board of Education. In 1954 The Great Organ expands from 5000 to 8035 pipes. The state trumpets are placed 500 feet from the organ console. 1974 Duke Ellington's funeral attended by 12,500 Mourners. 1976 Ravi Shankar performs an all night concert of Ragas. Big Bird and the Muppets pay tribute to creator Jim Henson at his services. 1993 Memorial services for Dizzie Gillespie. 1997, 14,000 attend service for Princess Diana. 2001 hundreds spontaneously take refuge at the Cathedral following the attacks.

DivineObv2.jpg

divineRev2.jpg

thanks Rey and thanks also for the history about this great Cathedral

Chris, those are some beautiful EAMs (European Artist Medals). I think the quality and variety of artistry in EAMs makes them a very attractive alternative to coins. Great looking collection smile.gifthumbsup2.gif

Thanks! There are several American-made medals in the collage. The silver and bronze medals in the Capital holder commemorate the 350th Anniversary of Santa Fe, NM. When I bought it, they were the largest medals in my collection at 63mm. As you can see, I've since added others that are larger. The gilded medal, below the Santa Fe's, depicting George Washington on horseback is 81mm, and the 1947 bronze medal toward the far right in honor of President Avriol of the French Republic, is a massive 86mm.

Chris

In keeping with transportation memories of my days in New York and Long Island, how about the bronze medal commemorating the sesquicentennial of the Long Island Rail Road:

1812864-LIRR150.jpg

Scott hi.gif

Hey Scott--cool stuff here. I am one of those banana heads that collects everything...its a disease.... well aside from NYMTA tokens up the wazoo, how about some cool Long Island Railroad Stuff like a set of these original LIRR bar-car glasses

LIRRglass.jpg

Did someone mention cocktails?..........

1813429-IMG_1581.JPG

hay cpm9ball i have some nice Shots if you want them "fox hunting" ect sign-offtopic.gif

hay cpm9ball i have some nice Shots if you want them "fox huting" ect sign-offtopic.gif

Cool! Send me a PM with details. There is a coin-related issue I want to discuss with you anyway.

Chris

Hey Scott--cool stuff here. I am one of those banana heads that collects everything...its a disease.... well aside from NYMTA tokens up the wazoo, how about some cool Long Island Railroad Stuff like a set of these original LIRR bar-car glasses

LIRRglass.jpg

I have one of those. It was given to me in the early 70s when my parents took us on a ride out to Montauk Point. But since this is a numismatic forum, I didn't post it. I also have a full set of NYC Subway tokens. But I thought those were passe and did not think they would be that interesting.

Scott hi.gif

Idhair, rough translation of the reverse of that medal...interesting point in history for France.

In commemoration of the efforts eclatants and happy of a powerful nation for freedom, inversion of monarchy and establishment of the French Republic.

These are Granddads WWI Medals showing the battles he fought in over in Mease-Argonne (The Black Forest) in Germany. He was hit with shrapnel that broke his left leg, so that is where the purple heart came from.

GranpamedalsWW1005.jpg

GranpamedalsWW1006.jpg

These are Granddads WWI Medals showing the battles he fought in over in Mease-Argonne (The Black Forest) in Germany. He was hit with shrapnel that broke his left leg, so that is where the purple heart came from.

GranpamedalsWW1005.jpg

GranpamedalsWW1006.jpg

That purple heart is the best medal posted yet thumbsup2.gif

Those WWI medals are the best, and particularly appropriate as we celebrate Memorial Day. Thanks for sharing them!

50 POUNDS ICE...token, that's "cool" uk uk....get it.

Obviously way before electric refrigerators were a household appliance.

100_2556.jpg

100_2557.jpg

All of the images I have posted to this thread came from a co-worker who asked me to look at her Grandfathers coins. This includes the WWI dog tags. They belong to him. There was also a large amount of early 1900's coins from all over South America, including Cuba. I viewed this collection as a favor and the coins/medals do not belong to me. However, it was a honor to view and research them for my co-worker.

MercP

A little while ago I picked this up in a token grab bag on the bay. I don't collect these but thought it was neat because it had a golfer on it. I was surprised to find it listed on a few websites with a couple of different varieties, no RWM, RWM on one side and RWM on both sides. There's also what seems to be a later Indiana version in someone's Flickr token collection album. The Roger Williams Mint has been acquired by Tokens Direct so I'm guessing there won't be any more tokens with the RWM initials. Apparently Ball-O-Matic is also now based in Madison Heights, MI instead of Niles.

Ballomatic-Niles-MI_Golf-Token_600x380.jpg

That's a cool one, especially since I live just a short drive from Niles!
That's pretty neat jtryka. The closest I've been in Chicago, unless you count driving by on the interstate. I think there's something to be said about tokens from local areas, a nice bit of Americana smile.gif

At first, I thought this was a medal. However I found out that it is a So-Called Dollar. Fairly scarce one.

cunningham7oe.jpg

Currently in an NGC 62 P/L slab.

It is a So-Called Dollar and a medal, not either or. SCDs come as both medals and tokens, which are just a higher level of classification. Kind of like saying a NCLT commem is still a coin.

Nice piece! It would be interesting to a see a collection of all building SCDs arranged by time period smile.gif

USSConstellationMedal-Obv110k.jpgUSSConstellationMedal-Rev110k.jpg
Hi usarok. That's a nice piece, circa 1950-60s. It's actually from the 1854 Corvette USS Constellation, not the 1797 Frigate. When the 1854 ship was decommissioned, there was a lot of confusion over which ship it was with many people thinking it was the 1797 ship. In fact, the 1854 corvette was being rebuilt as a frigate which was damaging to the ship before they realized their mistake. The 1797 ship was actually broken up about 100 years before this medal was made, at the same shipyard and same time where the 1854 ship was being constructed which is cause for the confusion.

The 1854 ship is the last existing Civil War era ship and was in active duty during World War II. For six months in 1942, it served as the flagship for Admiral Ernest J. King and Vice Admiral Royal Ingersoll. Information courtesy of Wikipedia.