• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post a medal or a token.

385 posts in this topic

Wow Stefanie, those are very nice looking pieces. (thumbs u

Chris, I was the one that posted that medal under new acquisitions with the seller's images though. I wanted to post it here to revive this thread but also see what folks though about how to conserve the bronze medal to bring out the original look or if that is even a good idea.

Thanks Rey

I know nothing about this token, I got it because it was inexpensive and California Tokens are hard to find:

caltokenobvqa8.jpg

caltokenrevow5.jpg

Ribbit :)

Here's a Medal/Token from a 1789 Expostion I have no clue about and would love info concerning it and the Medal/Token:

1789obvpi4.jpg

1789revzf5.jpg

I know nothing about this token, I got it because it was inexpensive and California Tokens are hard to find:

caltokenobvqa8.jpg

caltokenrevow5.jpg

Toad, I hate to bust your bubble, but this is not a California token.

It was produced for the White Brothers & Co. of Boston, Mass. It is one of the most common tokens of the 1890's. They were produced in brass, copper and copper/nickel and all are 26mm. The "simulated" Arabic -script surrounding the horseshoe was only intended as ornamentation.

It is still a nice token!

Chris

Here's a Medal/Token from a 1789 Expostion I have no clue about and would love info concerning it and the Medal/Token:

1789obvpi4.jpg

1789revzf5.jpg

This medal was produced for the Universal Exposition of 1889. I can't be sure who designed it because there are three possible names listed. Two others died well before the medal was produced.

Jean-Baptiste Barre, b. 1807

Jean Auguste Barre, b. 1811, eldest son of Jean Jacques Barre

Aristide Barre, b. 1840

Chris

Here is the B. Max Mehl Good Luck Token I spoke of in the Numismatic Father's Day Thread. I am also including another new acuisition, an 1892 San Felipe Railway Medal.

Rey

BMaxMehlGoodLuckTokenObv.jpg

BMaxMehlGoodLuckTokenRev.jpg

1892SanFelipiRailwayObv.jpg

1892SanFelipiRailwayRev.jpg

Title – Silver plaquette – PARIS STOCK HOLDERS MEETING, ROTY

Metal – Silver

Maker – French, Paris mint; ARGENT with cornucopia

Sculptor – Oscar Roty

Size – ~ 40x59mm

Front – PARIS LYON MEDITERRANEE / FERRO CONJUNGIT

Back – ASSEMBLEE GENERALE DES ACTIONNAIRES / MARIUS TOUDOIRE ARCHTE

Silver plaque, Stockholders’ Meeting of the Paris, Lyon, and Mediterranean Railway Line, 1901, 1.75 by 2.3 inches or 45 by 59 mm, signed by artist Louis Oscar Roty on the obverse, marked with the French Mint cornucopia and the word “argent” on the rim. The art nouveau image of the winged character uniting the allegorical representations of Paris, Lyon, and the Mediterranean is on the reverse.

Rey

1907ParisLyonRailroadSilverPlaqueOb.jpg

1907ParisLyonRailroadSilverPlaqueRe.jpg

Here is one of my latest Railway related acquisitions. The Silverton Durango Narrow Gauge Railroad in Colorado was and still is the only Narrow Gauge in the US offering regularly scheduled passenger service. I rode on this when I was a child with my parents and still have the pictures, It is a beautiful journey through the mountains of this area of Colorado.

Rey

SilvertonDurangoMedalObv.jpg

silvertonDruangoMedalRev.jpg

Cool looking medals ya'll. I really like that train Rey. Also that Chicago there Vic!

Hooray for the king & queen there OT3.

There is no question that Daniel is very talented, but I think that he should consider changing his proposed name of the coinage from AMERO to AMNESTY, considering all of the illegals we have in this country.

Chris

My newest addition to the Railway Set. The 1825 to 1925 Railway Centenary Medal. Obverse portrays Edward Pease, chairman and guilding influence in the managment of the first public railway, and of George Stephenson who built the first engine on the railway, and actually drove it on its historic journey on September 27th, 1825. There are also shownt he coats-of arms of Stockton and Darlington, the two towns between which ran the world's first passenger train, the arms of Stockton being on the left.

The reverse protrays a figure of Vulcan holding in his hand "Locomotion No.1" the first engine to be employed on a public railway, with, in the background, one of the London and North Eastern Railway Company's famous 1925 type "Pacific" express locomotives. The medal measures 3 inches in diameter.

Rey

1925RailwayCentenaryBox.jpg

InsideLidofBox.jpg

1825to1925RailwayCentenaryObv.jpg

1825to1925RailwayCentenaryRev.jpg

Two new additions to my Railway Medal/Coin Set.

1927 Silver on Bronze (O.Roty) French Railway Medal with Ribbon and Train-Pin

1927SilveronBronzeORotyFrenchRai-1.jpg1927SilveronBronzeORotyFrenchRailwa.jpg

1914-1915 WWI Brass French Railway Plaque

1914-1915WWIBrassFrenchRailwayPlaqu.jpg

A very neat repunched letter in headband

and a few graded ones I got back last week. :)

Stefanie

7b22565d.jpg

077eec74.jpg

5ca43de7.jpg

d741819b-1.jpg

47e13077.jpg

ngcslabs006.jpg

ngcslabs007.jpg

ngcslabs008.jpg

Oh yes, and a few BB's :blush:

ngcslabs013.jpg

and one that I was very happy about the grade