• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post a medal or a token.

385 posts in this topic

Here are some images (not very good) of some medals that will be offered at an auction I will be attending tomorrow. Do any of these look familiar to anyone or does anyone have any insight as to what they are?

Rey

medal1.jpg

medal2.jpg

medal3.jpg

The bottom image looks like a 3" Peace Medal. Made about 1850. I'm thinking the mint used private contractors for this medal.

I can't make out the top image but from the other images of these and the boxes they all look to be 3" medals. These are way cool. I have a book on these somewhere. The mint still make some 3" medals today. I can't tell if these are the real deal but they sure look to be.

Edit to add. The numbers on the boxes match the U.S. Mint list numbers.

Hi, Everyone hi.gif

Great medels and tokens here, thaks for sharing! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Here is one of those tokens that were thrown from the floats at Mardi Gras in New Orleans! I used to collect these things, some have nice graphics! smile.gif

From the 1970's it is about the size of a Morgan dollar and made of aluminum.

AAJ

mgto.jpg

mgtr.jpg

The bottom image looks like a 3" Peace Medal. Made about 1850. I'm thinking the mint used private contractors for this medal.

I can't make out the top image but from the other images of these and the boxes they all look to be 3" medals. These are way cool. I have a book on these somewhere. The mint still make some 3" medals today. I can't tell if these are the real deal but they sure look to be.

Given the boxes, I'm sure those are all "modern." My guess is these are 1970's vintage; the 1977 Assay commission medal that was sold to the public also came in the same style box.

Given the boxes, I'm sure those are all "modern." My guess is these are 1970's vintage; the 1977 Assay commission medal that was sold to the public also came in the same style box.

I'm sure you are right. The boxes can't be as old as I was thinking. Is there a way to tell how old these types of medals are if they are out of the box?

The medals in the boxes at the auction today were the Presidential Medals through Nixon.

I passed on them but picked this one up, am currently trying to track down some information/history on it, but no luck so far. Any input would be appreciated.

It came in the original cardboard holder. "Official Medal of the Quadracentennial of the Reformation" I am assuming a 1917 Piece based on the date and the holder. The auctioneer didn't really know what it was and called it a bronze medal of the Pope.

I wish the images showed the toning better, maroons and greeens.

ReformationQuadracentennialObv21917.jpg

ReformationQuadracentennialRev1917.jpg

ReformationCase.jpg

I’m not a religious man, but Martin Luther was never the pope. Martin Luther was the founder of the Lutheran religion. As I understand it, the religion runs counter to Catholicism in its belief that all people have a direct line to God. That is to say that Lutherans do not believe in any “chain of command” in their religion.

The auctioneer didn't really know what it was and called it a bronze medal of the Pope.

27_laughing.gif...I am not sure who would be more upset,,,The Catholics or the Lutherins....I can't find anything on this particular medal but I really like it... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif I believe Martin Luther was one of Time Mags, 100 most influential people of the Millenium...

Great medal with superb toning. It comes from 1917 which was the 400th anniversary of the Reformation.

Martin Luther was an Augustinian monk who challenged the Roman Catholic Church teaching on good works being necessary for salvation, the selling of Indulgences and the power and primacy of the pope according to divine right. The medal shows him posting his 95 theses for debate on the Castle Church Door in Wittenburg, Germany on October 31, 1517, the Eve of All Saints' Day. The theses were never debated but touched off a firestorm that led to the Reformation in the West. Luther translated the Bible into German was a prolific author and died in 1546.

It looks like others I have seen from this era that were produced by one of the many Lutheran Church bodies in America at that time. Nice medal to have thrown into the collection!

Here are a couple that I picked up at the MidAmerica show this weekend:

Eglit-84 in 3 different metals. A nice looking set together.

E84_bz_obv.jpg

E84_bz_rev.jpg

E84_gilt_obv.jpg

E84_gilt_rev.jpg

E84_cu_obv.jpg

E84_cu_rev.jpg

Then a spinning medal listed as Eglit-378.

E378_obv.jpgE378_rev.jpg

Followed by a New York Medal Eglit-98A.

E98A_obv.jpg

E98A_rev.jpg

An Indiana State Dollar (unlisted in HK), but listed as Eglit-11 with a twist. This one is counterstamped by a shoe/boot store out of Indianapolis.

E11A_obv.jpg

E11A_rev.jpg

And finally, in the mail today, came an Eglit-83.

E83_obv.jpg

E83_rev.jpg

Looks like I missed a bunch more medals today. Nice one's all. I guess these are somewhat never-ending huh? Don't think I've ever seen so many different designs! thumbsup2.gif

Hi, ldhair hi.gif

Wow, just great medels and token being shown here! hail.gif

Here is a General Daniel Morgan Medal, the sixth in the US Mint's ten-piece series of pewter reproductions of America's First Medals! These medals were awarded to General Morgan is for his brilliant tactical victory at the Cowpens in South Carolina in 1781.

AAJ

usadm.jpg

usadmr.jpg

Nice medal there Al. Dooly, are you talking about the hole or the coin? 27_laughing.gif Still nice!! thumbsup2.gif

sign-funnypost.gif

its lead by the way 893scratchchin-thumb.gif