• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dated holders

5 posts in this topic

Hi,

In a thread in the U.S. forum about fluctuating grading standards, a thought was floated to date the holders.

In addition to helping the consumer ascertain the grading standard, we can also use it to help guard against hazy toning, spots or fingerprints that occur after slabbing.

What does NGC think about this?

EVP

NGC has been asked periodically over the years to place a certification date on its labels, but we have no plans to do so at the present time. We believe that this information may be subject to abuse, with people attempting to represent particular dates as being more valuable than others.

The idea that knowing when a coin was holdered provides one with some tactical advantage is more imaginary than real. There is no exact relationship between when a coin was graded and the current validity of its grade. While it’s true that grading standards have gradually evolved over a period of some years, there have been no abrupt changes in the standards as applied by the major grading services. There are no clearly defined generations of grading standards, but rather one standard that may be interpreted in a slightly different manner as more experience is gained.

The only real value to knowing when a coin was encapsulated is in evaluating its storage and preservation. The NGC holder is superior in terms of its ability to protect a coin from deterioration, but no holder is absolutely perfect in this respect. It’s still important to store your coins in a favorable environment, away from vapors and chemicals and in an area that is free from extremes of temperature and humidity. For a modest fee, NGC offers a reholder service. Periodic inspection of your coins and their holders is always advisable.

Sir,

Respectfully, what is NGC's position regarding warranty of grade for a coin that was dipped, submitted, and consequently developed problems. It was my original thought that dating of the holder might assure some responsibility for the submitter. Surely NGC wouldn't assume any responsibility for a poor rinse.

The NGC guarantee is for grade and authenticity (authenticity only on copper coins). If a non-copper coin were to develop a problem of some sort, or toning after sealing, chances are great it would have developed that problem, or toning, to a similar or greater degree if it were not sealed. To answer your question, if in our opinion, the toning or problem affects the grade or makes the appearance such that the coin is not marketable it would be eligible for a free review under NGC's Appearance Review Service and only if the coin was ultimately lowered a grade by NGC would the guarantee apply. Some exceptions would be if we determined that the problem was a result of improper storage, extreme environmental conditions, or any type of intentional or unintentional abuse.

Thank you for your response. I'm new to NGC, but I have been collecting for many years, and I find your insight and candor refreshing. I'm suprised you are willing to consider warranting coins that develop problems in the holder, but I appreciate your policy.

Don