• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Let's See Some Gold!

427 posts in this topic

Yes, even that. Modern bullion goes from the mint to the consumer. No banks, no sacks of gold coins, no trading dollar bills in for shiny gold, nothing like that.

I don't really make a distinction between Saints and AGEs or even Mexican 50 Peso coins, except for the rare ones. I like the Saint reverse better but that's a design issue, not a when it was issued or who stored/stores the gold issue.

Why does it have to be an issue? Collect what you like smile.gif

Very nice gold coins showing up here in this thread everyone, thanks for the opportunity to see them.

1907 High Relief St. Gaudens MS-61

IMG_0345.jpg

IMG_0346.jpg

I had some modern bullion, but I traded it for some classic silver recently. grin.gif

I know nothing about the series, but I do have an attraction to original 1834-1838 Half Eagles. Maybe one day.... wink.gif

I had some modern bullion, but I traded it for some classic silver recently. grin.gif

I know nothing about the series, but I do have an attraction to original 1834-1838 Half Eagles. Maybe one day.... wink.gif

thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif

1721375-1836stacked.jpg

1721375-1836stacked.jpg.c0d65d307a76019a9c27bb0c19fb1be4.jpg

You guys have me literally drolling here. Too bad my one classic gold ($20 Saint, 1914 D MS-64) is 1250 miles away at my parents safer house.

thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif

1721375-1836stacked.jpg

PERFECT!!! takeit.gif

Wow, that 1900 Double Eagle is CLEAN !

Is nice, thanks.

But only clean enough for an NGC MS-64 grade. Too baggy on the cheek to make '65.

Is nice, thanks.

But only clean enough for an NGC MS-64 grade. Too baggy on the cheek to make '65.

"If the grade don't fit; then resubmit" 893crossfingers-thumb.gif With a 6k jump in value to a 65 they must look at them with a more critical eye. Still looks great to me.

man I can't believe all this nice gold we're seeing. I admire all of you for having these beauties. One day I will have me at least one nice saint.

Excellent looking close up pictures, Bob. You could easily grade coins using photos like this, nice work thumbsup2.gif

Thanks for the kind words. I think it is due to an obsessive-compulsive disorder. laugh.gif

Bob,

Excellent looking Gold there, how did you take your pics of those, exceptional detail.

Rey

Not really a secret. Probably the biggest improvement, at least in my case, is the use of a dedicated macro lens. That plus lighting and a copy stand.

The pictures you see, as with probably all my photos, are the result of muti takes. I'll move the lights around, revolve the coin, use different exposure settings (-1/3 - +2/3) and different aperture settings. A larger aperture (f4-f8) will blur the background. If I tilt the coin in order to get a different lighting effect, I'll use a lower aperture (f22-f28). With that, the whole coin will be in focus. This comes in handy when the coin is tilted. With an aperture of say f12, part of the tilted coin would be out of focus.

Lots of trial and error mixed with agony. Ask Bruce, I'm sure he would concur with that. smile.gif

Is nice, thanks.

Hey, if you're unhappy with the coin, I'm sure I could arrange to take it off your hands for a nominal fee. angel.gif