• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What You Need To Know about: Multi Coin Holders / Slabs

28 posts in this topic

What You Need To Know about – Multi Coin Holder / Slabs

1715242-full.jpg

When these were first introduced, and subsequently ‘copied’ by PCGS, the Multi-coin holder is what I believe to be the best thing to come along in Modern Encapsulation Technology. It does however have its own set of problems which is the reason for this thread.

You will be all excited when these arrive in the mail, the weight, the cool look. They are impressive, but you will notice the packaging is quite different than in regular slabs.

They well come in a neat little box with large separators for each of the multi-holders. These are similar to the regular interlocking cardboard spacers but LARGER.

1715242-interlocking.jpg

They will be installed into little plastic baggies and subsequently slide into its little cardboard coffin in the cardboard shipping box.

1715242-insulator.jpg1715242-baggie.jpg

DO NOT THROW ANY OF THIS PACKAGING AWAY. These holders I am finding scratch a lot easier or at least a lot more visible because of the size than your usual holder.

After looking at your wonderful coins put them back into the plastic baggie and do not let them rub against one another as this is NOT enough insulation to keep them from scratching. The shipping box has that cardboard interlocking sleeve which these slid in to, I cannibalize these into separators for each of the slabs. These are also good for labeling which holder is in which slot in my storage box. We have, at this point, two layers of protection to help stop any scratching to the surface. This is about as much as you can do to help stop this problem until they change plastics to be more resilient to burrs and scratches.

Besides CAREFUL HANDLING, the only other problem with these is the size. They will take up a little more space than a Proof set in a brown envelope, as when minted, so you need to keep that in mind to a lot extra stowage space for these.

The dimentions of these slabs are these are 7 3/4 long and 4 inches wide and 3/8 thick so you can plan accordingly

1715242-storagebox.jpg

This is my system to try and keep them from scratching – feel free to add to this thread for any ideas that you may have come up with. Right now I do not think there are many with experience with these so I am sure it will be slow in coming.

The good news is if you have re-holder one that is just too destroyed it only will cost you

$5 dollars to re-holder the set as it is considered one holder .

Good luck with these and enjoy as I am ..

1715242-interlocking.jpg.3fceace7080548803a33a240de4c8cd9.jpg

It looks like you have been very busy, Mike. It would be nice if Eagle or some other company would design a zippered portfolio (3-ring notebook) with plastic pages specifically to hold these. I'm thinking that the portfolio could be elongated (like a business check register) to hold two across and three down. Each portfolio would be capable of holding 24 of the multi-holders.

Chris

I am editing the post to add the size of these - The "Register" style book would end up being pretty large in of itself as these are 7 3/4 long and 4 inches wide and 3/8 thick

I am editing the post to add the size of these - The "Register" style book would end up being pretty large in of itself as these are 7 3/4 long and 4 inches wide and 3/8 thick

Are you implying there is nobody who can design such a thing? hi.gif

Chris

Hey Mike,

Great looking coin set. If you do not mind me asking-what does the set cost to have encapsulated? Is it a per coin cost or per set--I looked on PCGS' page but could not locate a fee structure.

Jim

I looked on PCGS' page but could not locate a fee structure.
My understanding is that the only way to get PCGS to do multi-holders for you is to do a bulk multi-holder submission. This is probably why I've only seen it for APEs and the like.

NGC has storage boxes for these but I don't know how much they cost.

NGCSB.jpg

I don't like the way the slabs rattle around in the storage boxes. If you've ever carried one around for awhile, it can drive you nuts.

Chris

I don't like the way the slabs rattle around in the storage boxes. If you've ever carried one around for awhile, it can drive you nuts.

Chris

That's an easy fix... get some of that thin, foam-like packing sheets that are used to wrap fragile items, cut it out to fit in the top and bottom of the box, and this will hold the slabs in place as you transport them without rattling.

Scott hi.gif

AGAIN if yor doing any kind of VOLUME those are not sufficient .. what do those hold 5 ??? or are they deeper than they appear .. I have not seen one myself but scratching is still an issue from the pictured item

Hey Mike,

Great looking coin set. If you do not mind me asking-what does the set cost to have encapsulated? Is it a per coin cost or per set--I looked on PCGS' page but could not locate a fee structure.

Jim

It cost nothing to send in and holder five coins submitted for grading into a Multi-Holder - It will cost 5 dollars PER coin to reholder single holders into a MULTI-Holder and costs 5 dollars reholder a multi holder back into a multi holder for scratches or like problems

Mike, I don't carry my case around much so it is not a problem for me. The case in the picture holds 10 multi holder slabs. Great post. thumbsup2.gif

It would be nice if Eagle or some other company would design a zippered portfolio (3-ring notebook) with plastic pages specifically to hold these.

Chris

That is exactly what I was thinking. I collect proof sets in the Eagle albums and it allows for easy view of the entire collection and protects the plastic as well.

WAS THIS POST SO "NOT USEFUL" that it did NOT warrant posting in the

WYNTK forum ... AND WHO DECIDES THIS ...

sorry.gif

WAS THIS POST SO "NOT USEFUL" that it did NOT warrant posting in the

WYNTK forum ... AND WHO DECIDES THIS ...

sorry.gif

I think you need to run it by Supertooth. Post was marginal score001.gif . Totally kidding, good information 2thumbs.gif

Thanks Winston

It is a little disconcerting as there was time and effort putting this together

as I thought it was important having worked with these things for a while now.

No - I will just let it hang at the top for a few more days and will think twice next time on writing one ... I didn't think there was a review process on WHO thought WHAT was pertinent to post into the forum.

jgrinz [Mike]---- Usually when folks want to post a WYNTK thread, they contact me---and then they post it afterwards. I had tried to keep folks from posting at the same time. But, over time, it happened that guys just went ahead on their own---like you did. Nothing really wrong with that as far as it goes.

Arch had even made me a moderator to handle the WYNTK threads. But I told him of my very limited computer skills and that I would contact him when I needed something done----or if I had a problem. He wanted me to do what you are asking---and I would have been glad to do it---but, at that time, I was just not capable of doing it on the computer.

So---we left it that Arch would determine how long each of the posts would stay on the viewing side of things. And, when there was no more interest, he would archive them at his own pace and time. That certainly was OK with me. So, I am sure if you just PM him---he will take care of it. From my point of view, I would like ALL the information to stay with the WYNTK threads as I agree that guys spend their time to try and educate all of us. Please send him a PM. Bob [supertooth]

7 bucks for one box

I didn't know the price of those - Thanks

My system is definitely more economically friendly :)

What You Need To Know about – Multi Coin Holder / Slabs

1715242-full.jpg

1715242-baggie.jpg

DO NOT THROW ANY OF THIS PACKAGING AWAY. These holders I am finding scratch a lot easier or at least a lot more visible because of the size than your usual holder. ... this is NOT enough insulation to keep them from scratching.

... two layers of protection to help stop any scratching to the surface. This is about as much as you can do to help stop this problem until they change plastics to be more resilient to burrs and scratches.

Besides CAREFUL HANDLING....

I must add my experience with the fragility of these Multi-holder sets.

As they have become more common, with the Presidential dollar 4-coin sets, state quarter 5-coin sets, American Eagle anniversary sets, 2 ounce foreign bullion coins, and so on, I have ordered a number of them from sellers on eBay and have found the following:

THEY DON'T TRAVEL WELL! :news:

The problem is cracks. The cases will arrive cracked, either in the corners, along the edges, or the cracks will even spread across the front of the case, not unlike how a crack in a windshield will start small and just expand suddenly.

I've talked with sellers about this, and share this as advice to sellers who may not yet have encountered a problem. Many sellers have packed individual holders VERY carefully, and the individual slabs seem to be more sturdy and travel very well. So, I'll get a box of coins, with individual slabs in the middle of the box, padded securely. On the side of the box, not padded with anything but the plastic wrap you mentioned, a multi-holder, which, perhaps not surprisingly, cracked in transit.

I have been VERY fortunate in that every seller was good about replacing the damaged sets without hassles. However, it could turn out very differently.

After it happened to me twice, I've also taken the precaution, if purchasing a multi-holder from someone, explaining to me how when I've received them in the past, they haven't traveled well. I go on to explain how one dealer from whom I buy regularly has taken to sliding a multi-holder into it's own bubble mailer packed IN a box (not shipped in the bubble mailer itself), and that has prevented any more damage.

I have also been VERY fortunate that such suggestions, thus far, have been well received. People can be funny. I take the approach that I am truly not trying to tell anyone how to conduct business. I am merely conveying what problem has occurred in the past, and what solution another dealer has come up with, in hopes of avoiding a bad transaction. Ultimately the decision is theirs. I haven't received any more damaged multi-holders though! HOORAY!

So, scratches aren't the only thing to beware of, I've found these holders much more fragile than their single holder counterparts.

LASTLY (whew, he is finally winding down), I recently received my Collectors' Society renewal kit, and in it was an order form for NGC storage boxes.

Single coin holder storage boxes -- $5.50 each (plus shipping)

Multi-coin holder storage boxes - $6.50 each (plus shipping)

SHIPPING CHARGES:

Single-coin boxes (quantity 1-10 boxes) - $7

Multi-coin boxes (quantity 1-6 boxes) - $7

shipping charges increase only slightly for larger quantities, via UPS Ground.

It appears that buying them directly from NGC is slightly less expensive than buying them from ShopatHomeTV.com, item number 1202-2252, $69.98 for a combo set, 5 of each kind of box, 10 total, plus $5.99 shipping. A few bucks savings, directly from NGC is a few bucks -- that's a few bucks toward a coin grading! :headbang:

Finally bit the bullet and rehoused my collection for easier storage and cataloguing.

Notice I kept the plastic on the holders to help with scratch aversion AND it stops them from rattling around in the case.

53962-1.jpg.b5840665f7767a996bba03e21a5c2ec3.jpg

53963-2.jpg.a76419a1f78512ac1728ca2d0df40b44.jpg

53964-3.jpg.2884aa5188605b64df51bcca02e53ab0.jpg

53965-4.jpg.9c45c839c90f4f593ca01858809e80b6.jpg

I was recently dismayed to learn that NGC just this month discontinued offering their wonderful multiholders, and hope that policy will be modified. Those who care should please let NGC know, and encourage them to allow multiholders as in previous years.