• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

POLL - remove or keep the '55 Double Die Lincoln Cent ?

Do you want the '55 DDO removed from the '34-'58 Lincoln Set ?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want the '55 DDO removed from the '34-'58 Lincoln Set ?

18 posts in this topic

This Poll asks;

In the 1934-1958 Lincoln Cent Registry,

Do you favor removing the 1955 Double Die variety from this set only ?

We are not discussing other sets here, just this set and coin.

I’m curious, and I do not mean this in a negative way, but you seemed determined to change the set profile for 1934-1958 Lincoln Cent Registry by removing the 1955 DDO.

Have you considered the participants of these sets may be happy with the way they are?

And what would you change next? The Washington Presidential Dollars? confused-smiley-013.gif

Hi, No I would not say determined as in have to do it.

I just think the coin is irrelevent to this set.

You can see this simply by how many people in the set show 99% complete.

It also relates to my other post, where I ask for "with varieties" sets.

I would have three of the 55DDO's on my need it list, and yes, thats what I want to do.

My take is that for a conventional "full" set, yes the 55 is a classic and you can't say you have a full Lincoln set without it. It belongs there.

But for the "short set", you are talking about a 52 coin set where the one single coin, the 55DDO, is worth more than the entire rest of the set. (more so in 60-66 i know ). I think it is unreasonable to expect many collectors buying coins in the $10 to $100 range for the most part, to include the one coin worth what they may have spent on all the other coins combined.

The short set should be a place for starter sets. New collectors should look at it and say " hey there is a set I might be able to do, I will try it."

The newby may then proced to either a big set, or buy even a different series that they would come across.

Just a basic set please, thats all I'm asking for.

Then too, you see, the 55 is not the only nice variety in Lincolns.

I want a set that showcases my stuff, and competes with friends, that counts in the registry.

A Sig set is fine for just saying here are ma' BOYZ, but would it not be more fun to define some top dies for a variety set, and then we could compete for the top spots on a proper playing field ?

Thank you, Stanley, for your reply.

I hope you can offer more of your thoughts.

Fergie hi.gif

There are unaffordable coins, to some, in many sets. I know that I will never complete the USA Type set because of the "S$1 GOBRECHT 1836-39" requirement. Plugged, tooled and cleaned examples with G4 details go for over $3000, but I don't desire inferior specimens just to fill a whole. To get an example that I would be pleased with would cost me well over $20K which I can't justify for a type coin. A key coin for a series set however, I could justify spending the additional on.

While I can see your point about making a short set variety free, a beginner collector should be able to do just fine with some of the "One-Per-Date" sets out there.

I want a set that showcases my stuff, and competes with friends, that counts in the registry.

One more thought ... If one couldn't afford to spend $1-3K for a XF to MS60 55DDO, they wouldn't get too far in competing with the participants that are buying MS67 / MS68 examples in that short set anyhow.

I admit that it would take a bit of money to complete a set that has rare key dates in them. I'm doing a jefferson 65-date proof set that I know I won't be able to afford the "specimen" jeffersons. I guess I'm still not looking at the set as a competition as most do though. It's just a set that I would like to get as many as I can for my own collection. I'm just gonna get what I can and then try another set. For those with the competitive goal here, I can see your point on certain key dates that are basically unattainable. But for those that have the coins, I can see thier point has to having these coins for the top positions. I think that if I had the registry, that anyone with a complete set and has won the top registry positions would then have there set moved to a Registry Archive like "Former & Present Top Registry Collections". This being done would enable the rest to still compete and new collectors the ability to compete with out competition of the older sets that have all coins and basically takes anyone else out of competion for a top spot. Not taking away from those sets at all, but still being able to show those in another category. Kind of like a Coin Hall of Fame??

One more thought ... If one couldn't afford to spend $1-3K for a XF to MS60 55DDO, they wouldn't get too far in competing with the participants that are buying MS67 / MS68 examples in that short set anyhow.

Yes, thats true for the most part, but 67s can be "made" for this series at much lower cost than paying retail thumbsup2.gif

And yes, I too have a type set ranked 2300ish, and it don't bug me at all. I rather like that I can look forward to adding lots of coins, slowly bumping my way up through the ranks.

Yes, thats true for the most part, but 67s can be "made" for this series at much lower cost than paying retail thumbsup2.gif

And yes, I too have a type set ranked 2300ish, and it don't bug me at all. I rather like that I can look forward to adding lots of coins, slowly bumping my way up through the ranks.

Hey Fergie - Why do you have sets with nothing in them ... Are they just not posted yet??

I just think the coin is irrelevent to this set.

You can see this simply by how many people in the set show 99% complete.

Quoting myself here, has anyone looked at the Registry for this series ?

Do any of the voters, or responders, to this post, even have a Lincoln Set registered ?

Lets see the opinion of some actual 34-58 set registry competitors.

Speak up if you are online please.

Nobody has the 55 except like one person.

I just double checked, more like five, but only one is near the top.

Not a good point, but doesn't matter; read some more......

Don't get me wrong, I am not advocating deleting the coin, or even reducing in any way it's relevance. On the contrary, I would like to see these 4- Registry sets;

1909-1958

1909-1958 with var's

1934-1958

1934-1958 with var's

Just to clarify, I simply want with and without sets for one main reason;

that is because there is no place in the registry for my variety coins.

A place that counts that is, with a competitive forum.

Any of you Lincoln Variety collectors got GAME ? poke2.gif

I just want to have some fun thumbsup2.gif

I also feel that more people would A- participate in these sets, and B- enjoy their particular sets all the more.

Fergie yeahok.gif

Hey Fergie - Why do you have sets with nothing in them ... Are they just not posted yet??

Hi ya jgrinz, thanks for checking in hi.gif

Yep, I have very little of my coins slabbed and now that I am enrolling in the Registry I sure would like to get em going. thumbsup2.gif

All the sets you see currently registered ( 21 or so, with very little in them) is just me tryng to fiddle around with my possibilities. I would like to have many sets in varied series and have friendly competition with those folks. As stated in my "say hey" post, I am indeed a low budget collector, but it sure don't bug me thumbsup2.gif

I know I may not have a top 5 set or do I know that 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Thanks again, Fergie

I agree with you, Fergie. Varieties should not be included in a regular issue set. They should be limited to specialty sets, in my opinion.

I admit that it would take a bit of money to complete a set that has rare key dates in them. I'm doing a jefferson 65-date proof set that I know I won't be able to afford the "specimen" jeffersons. I guess I'm still not looking at the set as a competition as most do though. It's just a set that I would like to get as many as I can for my own collection. I'm just gonna get what I can and then try another set. For those with the competitive goal here, I can see your point on certain key dates that are basically unattainable. But for those that have the coins, I can see thier point has to having these coins for the top positions. I think that if I had the registry, that anyone with a complete set and has won the top registry positions would then have there set moved to a Registry Archive like "Former & Present Top Registry Collections". This being done would enable the rest to still compete and new collectors the ability to compete with out competition of the older sets that have all coins and basically takes anyone else out of competion for a top spot. Not taking away from those sets at all, but still being able to show those in another category. Kind of like a Coin Hall of Fame??

Hi bsshog, thanks for the reply.

I like all-time status sets, present and past, but it is not my point to remove the owners of sets with 55DDOs to any backwater, they can register in a "with varieties" short set, or a complete Lincoln set.

The coin is so big it would still dominate the set.

Also, on competition, I am not a registry nutball to just be one carrying my flag around the track. In Lincolns plain for example I just want to see how my coins compare to others, I collected them with some passion for many years.

In Die varieties, I would like to see more of the different types be shown, and find some friends here to share them with. I am not sure of the true populations on many coins and this could help flush some out of the woodwork.

Other posters it seems are giving me a friendly whack upside the head and thats fine, all good. I am the newbie here stirring the pot. I get it.

makepoint.gif

See ya bsshog40,

Fergie

I agree with you, Fergie. Varieties should not be included in a regular issue set. They should be limited to specialty sets, in my opinion.

SAY HELLO TO MY BOY ! Go get em' E_ZE ! popcorn.gif

Do any of the voters, or responders, to this post, even have a Lincoln Set registered ?

Lets see the opinion of some actual 34-58 set registry competitors.

Speak up if you are online please.

I have a set in that group and I do consider the 55DDO to be critical to a 'complete set', just because of it's numismatic fame (and it is somewhat available). I wouldn't have a big issue with it if was excluded from the short set, but it definitely should be in the 09-58 complete set. I would say that my only complaint about the lincoln sets in general is that they don't give points for the 22 No-D 'weak reverse' in the '22 No D' slot. I think that coin should be allowed for the No-D slot, but at reduced points.

One solution would be deleting the 55DDO slot and allowing the 1955DDO count (at a high point premium) in the regular 1955 slot like is done for other varieties/errors.

Yes, thats true for the most part, but 67s can be "made" for this series at much lower cost than paying retail

With some common dates yes .... other dates you would have a hard road to travel. If your goal is to be top ranked, you'll be fairly heavily invested anyway, therefore a 55DDO would be a drop in the bucket.

What's next on the agenda, drop the '09 S VDB, '14 D, or '22 no-D because for many they are cost prohibitive? poke2.gif

What's next on the agenda, drop the '09 S VDB, '14 D, or '22 no-D because for many they are cost prohibitive? poke2.gif

Hi ya al_e_gator hi.gif

I'm glad we have a discuusion on these topics.

It's fun to talk with other Registry folks.

Lets invite some more people to post their thoughts in more.threads.

O.K., al_e_gator, ... I think your quote above is uninformed. Did you read my posts thru ! I am a die-hard Lincoln collector and there is clearly no way for you to infer that I would be advocating the total deletion of ANY of these coins. As stated by me earlier, I feel they DESERVE THEIR VERY OWN SPECIAL PLACE ! flowerred.gif

09-58

09-58 with

34-58

34-58 with

And ALSO, the 55DDO guys (me for one) can put their coins in either of the two

"with" sets. Short or the Full set., ..,.,.,. or both !

Let me just ask you straight out and clearly,

Do you collect many different var's ?

and if so,

Would you like to see a competitive place to put those coins ?

Thats all i'm asking for in this thread. Not death and destruction 27_laughing.gif

P.S, I caught your poke2.gif drift, did you catch mine in above post..............

Got Var's ? Got Game ? poke2.gif

Rock and Roll Baby 893applaud-thumb.gif

Fergie.

The 1922 no "D" should not be included. This is the same as the three-legged buffalo. Some bonehead at the mint got carried away and ground away part of the die. Big deal! Now, because of the shoddy work of mint workers, there are now these coins that everyone must have at huge premiums. I just don't get it. It is all hype, hype, hype. The only reason they have such fame is because the major albums have had slots for them since way back when and since the Red Book lists them. Now, in the internet age, the NGC and PCGS registry sets pepetuate their desirability. IMO, it is all a scam and I choose not to participate in the hype!

sign-rantpost.gif

EZ_E, dude, you gotta be related to me !

OR at least the same gene pool ! 893whatthe.gif

I am so with you on the '22 plain and I am a die variety lover !

All the hype did was serve to bring out all the boneheads who did not know jack about coins and how they are made. It's freakin crapola if you ask me and if I had $100,000 to spend on the set it would never contain that coin.

I own a very pretty 1947 S Lincoln that is missing very much of the Jacket on Lincolns bust. Neat ? Hell yeah ! Is it a die variety ? No way.

( Got two of those )

I do not buy any arguments that the coin was made having never had a D on the die. If thats true then where are the EDS and VEDS ? Every 22 Plain is an ugly coin and there are no examples extant that show it was struck from a clean die.

1922 era media hype, huh, shoulda been there I guess.