• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

100 kb photo limit really stinks.

27 posts in this topic

On the one hand I get that they (NGC) don't want to have mountains of server space and loads of bandwidth taken up by huge pictures.

On the other, I really wish they would allow off-site picture linking.

100kb is just too spooned small. At least with 1mb you can have larger pics with some degree of resolution.

I have been playing with some images lately and found that I can reduce the size of the image in Photoshop Elements using the "Save for Web" command. A JPG file at high quality (80-percent) can get a good sized image to under the limits and retain quality.

Scott hi.gif

I have been playing with some images lately and found that I can reduce the size of the image in Photoshop Elements using the "Save for Web" command. A JPG file at high quality (80-percent) can get a good sized image to under the limits and retain quality.

Scott hi.gif

exactlly. This still formats the pic to a very small size but still has great quality.

On the one hand I get that they (NGC) don't want to have mountains of server space and loads of bandwidth taken up by huge pictures.

100kb is just too spooned small. At least with 1mb you can have larger pics with some degree of resolution.

I’ve experimented myself. This image is nothing fancy but I have taken advantage of the space provided. thumbsup2.gif

http://www.collectors-society.com/regist...eopleSetID=6894

I’ve experimented myself. This image is nothing fancy but I have taken advantage of the space provided. thumbsup2.gif

http://www.collectors-society.com/regist...eopleSetID=6894

Wow. Those are really nice results.

I will definetly give the save for web thing a try. I'm still learning Photoshop (was a Paint Shop Pro user for ages)

Just include a link in your description to a higher quality picture. If someone is really that interested they can see it.

I thought of that earlier today and might do it yet.

As a suggestion, I just wanted to add something to my previous post.

Crop out all the plastic and the borders so as to use all your space efficiently for your subject. (coin)

In no way do I want to make all my images so large. It was only a test for me. thumbsup2.gif

And thanks for the compliment, you are to kind 893applaud-thumb.gif

• Administrator

Limit is going up a bit soon. But not tons. As Stanley's image can attest, if you turn your file into a jpg you can get some nice resolution at these sizes.

I don't understand this statement. Here's such a link:

pc_main_logo_join2.gif

Just use the Image feature under "Instant UBB Code" when composing your message. Enter the URL to your image, and you're done.***

Beijim

*** Caveat: On IE7 this has become a pain in the neck because the feature uses -script code to pop up the URL entry window. IE7 warns you about this each time you use the feature.

Arch, can a URL have a html link without having to copy and paste it? I'm refering to the coin description in the registry.

I don't understand this statement. Here's such a link:

pc_main_logo_join2.gif

Just use the Image feature under "Instant UBB Code" when composing your message. Enter the URL to your image, and you're done.***

Beijim

*** Caveat: On IE7 this has become a pain in the neck because the feature uses -script code to pop up the URL entry window. IE7 warns you about this each time you use the feature.

Not talking about in the message board. I'm not talking about linking to pics from a coin's description in the Registry. I'm talking about opening a coin's page in the Registry and having larger pics show up automatically that are linked to another site.

Wow, the limit is now 200K. A bit more than a modest increase!

sumo.gif

Beijim

Nope. It's 120k... still too restrictive. This is 2007, not 1997.

99KB

1976s1001900x900x600paizg4.jpg

I can't see your pic.. (imageShack blocked here at work) but I can tell from right-clicking to see properties it's pretty big.

Here is one of mine I managed to crunch down both pics to just under 120k...

78s-Ike

Stanley: MS-67? Unless some of those clash marks are really scratches in the holder, then it may be an MS-68!

Eric... Nice Ike. My Ike proof registry set is missing one coin and one PF68 needs an upgrade. I also need to get some pictures.

Scott hi.gif

• Administrator

Did you guys notice the new "edit gallery" function for uploading multiple photos at once?

Scott hi.gif

exactlly. This still formats the pic to a very small size but still has great quality.

I've done that myself, for all of my images, including both the registry and posting images on this board. I no longer use links to hosting sites. Lowering the 'quality' to 80 % seems to work quite well.

Did you guys notice the new "edit gallery" function for uploading multiple photos at once?

You mean where you can click "browse" to cue-up both pics for the coin, then click 'save' once? Yea, that's cool.

• Administrator

No, I mean when you're viewing one of your sets, the tabs along the top contain an "Edit Gallery" tab. When you click on this, you can select images for a bunch of coins all at once and upload them together.

Hey Arch, I noticed the new interface. I think the interaction is cleaner now. I like the way the registry sets are laid out on our home page. I have not used the editor, yet. I probably will after the ANA in Charlotte and the Whitman show in Baltimore. But it looks like a real good improvement!

ALSO... it looks like care was done to make things compatible with all browsers. A friend who has a registry set ATS said their new interface has problems with Safari on the Mac... which is what I use most of the time. For me, being Mac friendly is very important!!

Good job! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Scott hi.gif

Yea, I just want to say that I like the new changes to the Registry site. It's much easier to use and looks much more professional. I think the old site kinda looked like NGC had thrown it together without much giving a poop, but this is a really nice version.

Sorry - I misunderstood and thought you were talking about the message boards, not the Registry. Thanks for clarifying!

I agree that offsite links would ease the pain. I wonder, however, if offsite links could also pose a problem, say legally?

Beijim