• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Should ultra-low grades get more registry points?

14 posts in this topic

It can be a challenge to find coins in ultra low grades like PO 01 up to say 04. Should these coins get higher points in the registry for people making the effort to collect these?

I am not sure exactly how the points are computed, but it seems to depend on a combination of 'set type' and value, with certain coins being worth more points depending on which set you put them in.

As for the majority of the PO1 to 04 coins, they are utterly worthless and slabbing them would be pointless. There would be certain expensive keys, etc., which are already taken into account (i.e.: 1909 S-VDB worth 351 points in AG), but would you want to pay $15 to slab a coin that was worth $0.25 just for the sake of completing a set? I wouldn't. Just my opinion.

would you want to pay $15 to slab a coin that was worth $0.25 just for the sake of completing a set? I wouldn't. Just my opinion.
Have you looked at the prices of, or do you collect, ultra-low grade coins? Many ultra-low grade coins sell for much more than $0.25. Low grade Ikes are in the hundreds of dollars, much more than how much they go for in many other conditions. At least one person has a NGC registry set including ultra-low grade classic gold. Sure, not everyone collects this way, but then again not everyone goes for ultra-high grades either.

I might be wrong, but I don't think NGC will slab anything below a 4.

So if it can't be slabbed, how could it be in the Registry?

I believe I've seen NGC inserts for 2 and 3 in someone's sig ATS. The NGC also allows PCGS coins at full point value and PCGS goes as low as 1.

would you want to pay $15 to slab a coin that was worth $0.25 just for the sake of completing a set? I wouldn't. Just my opinion.
Have you looked at the prices of, or do you collect, ultra-low grade coins? Many ultra-low grade coins sell for much more than $0.25. Low grade Ikes are in the hundreds of dollars, much more than how much they go for in many other conditions. At least one person has a NGC registry set including ultra-low grade classic gold. Sure, not everyone collects this way, but then again not everyone goes for ultra-high grades either.

You kind of took my post out of context... the first half (and most important part) of the sentence is missing.

There would be certain expensive keys, etc., which are already taken into account (i.e.: 1909 S-VDB worth 351 points in AG), but ...

There are always exceptions.

If you see a coin that has value in a low grade in a particular set, then ask NGC to assign additional points to it. I think also that their points listed are based on population slabbed. If there isn't a coin/grade match, that could be why there is a "1" or a "3" for that coin/condition. A default value.

Low grade Ikes are in the hundreds of dollars, much more than how much they go for in many other conditions.

MOST of the low grade Ikes are worth $1 - $2. You are speaking of specific date/mint varieties, maybe like the 1972 Type 2 which is worth about $160 in MS60, when you say they are worth hundreds of dollars. NGC allows for points down to XF (304 points) before it drops off to "0". Are there any slabbed lower grades available? If they are worth more in lower grades, than buy some high grade ones and carry them around in your pocket for a while, maybe rub them while your watching TV, then slab yourself an 04. It makes no sense that people would pay more for an G-04 / population: 1 coin, when they are plentiful and relatively inexpensive in XF or higher grades.

You are speaking of specific date/mint varieties, maybe like the 1972 Type 2 which is worth about $160 in MS60, when you say they are worth hundreds of dollars.
You are mistaken. I am talking about common varieties that are inexpensive in middle grades. And by hundreds of dollars I'm talking about $400-$600+.
It makes no sense that people would pay more for an G-04 / population: 1 coin, when they are plentiful and relatively inexpensive in XF or higher grades.
I'm not sure you understand the mentality of people who collect ultra-low grades. An XF or higher is simply not interesting to these collectors. Some people also say it makes no sense to pay high prices for 70s when 69s are in abundant supply and the differences are minute. Just because it doesn't make sense to you doesn't mean others don't disagree.

I'm not sure you understand the mentality of people who collect ultra-low grades.

I can see it now: A factory full of children in asia, rubbing down piles of XF coins so that the grade is lower to make them worth more money. screwy.gif

Are these 'varieties' you are speaking of even listed in the NGC registry?

I'm not sure you understand the mentality of people who collect ultra-low grades.
I can see it now: A factory full of children in asia, rubbing down piles of XF coins so that the grade is lower to make them worth more money. screwy.gif
Sure, anytime there is money to be made, someone will try to make it. I think the probability of Americans taking advantage of this opportunity might be higher than Asians since American doctors are already proficient at altering real coins and getting them into TPG slabs. Of course, it could be Americans outsourcing to the Chinese like the US Mint does for collector packaging. Asians just don't seem to have the same tight TPG relationships that American doctors seem to have. Americans are pretty innovative when it comes to numismatic entrepreneurship with AT, AT in the slab, meaningless inserts, and now missing edge lettering.

I don't really view this as different than NT vs AT. Some people also give the screwy emoticon for toning premiums and toning is recognized in the registry with the star designation.

Are these 'varieties' you are speaking of even listed in the NGC registry?
Yes they are since the "varieties" I'm talking about are the standard date and mint mark kind wink.gif I just wasn't sure what better word to use.

I own one certified low grade coin (1893 COLUMBIAN PCGS AG 3) I purchased on a whim thinkin it was funny. I actually like the coin and now I look for other low graded coins. Not sure if they are deserving of higher points in the registry though. I got 3 points for mine and think that was more than plenty.

sig.jpg

I've got a lock PO01 draped bust dime, I paid $1 for it originally. I'd gladly slab it if I was looking to sell. Might get $50 for it! People like Pat Braddick and others collect this stuff, and I wouldn't mind starting a collection.

Have you looked at the prices of, or do you collect, ultra-low grade coins?

Yup - that's what DANSCO is for (IMHO). Here's some shots out of my complete #7160. The 21S is extremely banged-up, but it will get an upgrade when I can find a nicer bargain raw.

sm1938D-Obv.jpgsm1916S-Obv.jpgsm1917SonObv-Obv.jpgsm1919-Obv.jpg

sm1919DandS-Obv.jpgsm1921-Obv.jpgsm1921DandS-Obv.jpg

For the ultra low coins, they shouldn't get more registry points UNLESS they are in their own registry class/set.

Ie.....a registry set that the GOAL is to get the lowest possible graded coins. Then, I could see them getting more points. Other than that, if people are putting them in registries that are also trying to get (and are for) the highest possibly graded coins, then no, they shouldn't get more points for lowness.

That, of course, is just my opinion and others are free to differ.

There is an avid following for ultra-low grade coins, especially modern pieces in that grade range. These otherwise common coins can sell into the hundreds of dollars each and they do not need to be better dates or better varieties. It is for the novelty and shock factor that these have become so relatively expensive.

Getting to the original question, a resounding NO to the idea that ultra-low grades should be worth more in a registry setting.