• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A Photo Study of a Prez Dollar Die Clash

21 posts in this topic

I recently acquired this Philly GW dollar which I think exhibits pretty nice obv/rev die clash. Granted, it's not anything of great value, but die clashes can make for great study. I thought I would share these photos of the coin with you and I hope you find them satisfactorily.

Photo #1 below exhibits the clash outline remnants of Washington's face to include the outlines of his eyes.

gwdieclashp1.jpg

Photo #2 below is a little closer view as well as the lighting source is from a different angle.

gwdieclashp2.jpg

Photo #3 below provides an overall, wide-angle view which illustrates the continuation of Washington's face and jaw outlines. Additionally, outline remnants of his mouth can also be seen extending nearly horizontally and almost all-the-way through Miss Liberty's arm.

gwdieclashp3.jpg

Photo #4 below is a closer view and the lighting source is from a different angle. One can see additional clash remnants now pointed out with the white arrow in the photo that was not seen in Photo #3 above.

gwdieclashp4.jpg

Photo #5 below is on the obverse now illustrating the corresponding clash outline remnants of Miss Liberty's crown extending within Washington's neck area and on outward into the field.

gwdieclashp5.jpg

Photo #6 below is essentially the same as Photo #5 above but with the lighting source now from a totally different angle.

gwdieclashp6.jpg

There are other die clash remnants in various locations but the above photos point out the main areas. Comments are welcome ....

Good Luck in all your searches and may you find what your looking for.

Billy

As to not make any more Prez threads. Can Anyone post, or PM me, and give me a list of what to look for in these coins?

Since they do indeed have defects.

Since the coincs are face value, should I buy a $25 roll and look through them?

In hopes of finding any defects? And so on? Thanks..

Great find, Billy, and fantastic photos. Did this come out of a bank roll? Were you able to find others?

Chris

Excellent illustrations - thanks for taking the time! This kind of thing is fun to look for.

Hoot

I just described this die clash to jesbroken in a thread yesterday. I also found a couple of these. I also found a couple that had die polish marks where the evidence of the clash had been removed (there were still traces, including the one coming out of her head and George's studded collar.)

Check the second S in STATES. Is there a filled die error in the top loop of the S? All of my die clashes have this.

Also, Your images are so good, do you mind if I save them and use them for my own records?

"Check the second S in STATES. Is there a filled die error in the top loop of the S? All of my die clashes have this."

I re-examined the coin and there is no filled die in the top loop of the "S" of STATES. The obverse and reverse appears to be an earlier die state with mirror-like fields.

"Also, Your images are so good, do you mind if I save them and use them for my own records?"

Go right ahead.

For the fun of it I did a inverted and flip-flopped obverse and superimposed on the reverse as a transparent overlay. This would simulate what a die clash would look like on the reverse. In the overlay I highlighted in red the areas that correspond to the clash remnants shown in my photos of the actual coin.

gwrevoverlay.jpg

Thanks, Billy, the overlay will be a great tool to use.

Chris

Thanks Chris. I realize most do not care anything at all about this stuff. But, I suspect a few lurkers on this forum that would like to understand more on what their finding on the new prez dollars. If I have helped somebody out there then I have succeeded.

Very interesting and informative...the images are astounding and then came the overlay to explain it all. Super job guys.

Hey, I thought the modern coining presses had limit switches where the dies could not strike if a planchet was not in place? There was a lot of time and money spent to create die clashing from happening...what's up with that?