• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Allowing other TPG in the NGC registry

19 posts in this topic

I have seen way too much discussion and debate on the Collectors' Society page in Journal Entries about this subject and it clearly does not belong as a Journal Entry to begin with.

Here's my opinion. sign-rantpost.gif

This is a registry OWNED and OPERATED by NGC affilliates. By them allowing any other TPG coins in their registry at all is a very nice and generous feature.

PCGS has their own registry and they DO NOT allow any other TPG to participate.

ANACS and IGC do not even have a registry at all.

If people have slabs graded by PCGS, ANACS or (maybe) ICG it might be acceptable for NGC to allow them as FILLER coins in their registry sets, but with say a 50% point deduction. And why not? This IS the NGC registry for registering NGC certified coins. Why do people expect NGC to allow these other TPG in their registry at all. Just be happy that they allow even PCGS at full point value and stop the madness.

Isn't a Journal Entry for what the member wants to talk about? And isn't NGC known for letting people generally talk about what they want (unlike ATS)? Some companies like getting customer feedback and there isn't anything that says you have to read those journal entries is there?

Isn't a Journal Entry for what the member wants to talk about? And isn't NGC known for letting people generally talk about what they want (unlike ATS)?

Yes, a journal is something that the author wants to talk about, perhaps even better a story or information to share or something along those lines. A journal (IMO) is not for a discussion forum back and forth. That's why there is a chat board.

Some companies like getting customer feedback and there isn't anything that says you have to read those journal entries is there?

Again, a journal (IMO) is not to provide customer feedback or hold a debate. NGC customer service has an e-mail address and phone numbers for feedback, plus they have separate chat boards for 'Ask NGC' and other avenues of communication.

No, I do not have to read them, however they are right there in my face when I log-in and have to scroll down through them to get to the registry information. There are 5 so-called journals posted this very minute all debating the subject of this thread. Let them add to this thread instead of pollute the journal. Here is where discussion and debate happens (Although, this is a rant, and scrictly my own opinion).

jour·nal –noun

1. a daily record, as of occurrences, experiences, or observations: She kept a journal during her European trip.

2. a newspaper, esp. a daily one.

3. a periodical or magazine, esp. one published for a special group, learned society, or profession: the October issue of The English Journal.

4. a record, usually daily, of the proceedings and transactions of a legislative body, an organization, etc.

5. Bookkeeping.

a. a daybook.

b. (in the double-entry method) a book into which all transactions are entered from the daybook or blotter to facilitate posting into the ledger.

6. Nautical. a log or logbook.

7. Machinery. the portion of a shaft or axle contained by a plain bearing.

eh. If it's your journal, you should be able to decide what to write in it. It seems silly to be limited by what a reader thinks your journal should contain (unless they are paying you buy clicking on ads or what not). NGC can tell them what's off limits but they don't really have any reason to listen to other collectors do they? My view is that you have the freedom to not read those entries.

It would be alot easier not to read them if I did not have to scroll past them every time I want to look at my registry sets.

The fact is, it is almost impossible not to read the headlines and teasers when you log on to your registry account.

I thought they were going to fix that, but apparently NGC really likes the idea of the jounals and is doing there best to promote the idea.

As for chat board discussions on the journal pages?

This is a discussion that will never go away, so long as the journals are not moderated you are going to see all kinds on unapproved posts. I suspect the reason they don't moderate has to do with the Journals survival.

I know from my experience running a website, you delete posts at the peril of losing members - not something I like to do, and certianly not something a for profit company likes to do.

So, yes chat board discussions do not belong in the journals. It is not the proper forum for them and alot of us get annoyed seeing them (unless it is our point we are trying to make smile.gif )

foreheadslap.gif

As for chat board discussions on the journal pages?

This is a discussion that will never go away, so long as the journals are not moderated you are going to see all kinds on unapproved posts.

I would like to think that we are all somewhat literate around here. If Journal Posters would take a few seconds to READ THE GUIDELINES, they would know that it is not the proper place to hold discussions.

When you click on the Add Journal Entry link you see the following (again I assume people can read if they are posting):

"Welcome to the Collectors' Journal! Here are some simple guidelines. This area is designed to allow our members to share their collecting journey with other members. The best use of this feature is to share your experiences, thoughts, unique acquisitions and numismatic knowledge with other collectors. We hope that over time our members find that they've been able to use these journals as a way to share a kind of numismatic diary with other collectors, and can look back over their entries as a road map of their collecting adventure.

If your topic fits into other categories, we suggest these other tools:

Buy/Sell/Trade - Visit our Chat Boards in the MarketPlace forum.

Grading service issues or questions - use the contact us form and customer service will get back to you.

Discussion topics - asking others for opinions or information is best done on the boards.

By following these guidelines, we hope to help you get the best responses and information for all of your needs while continuing to build the Collectors' Journal as a true collecting resource.

Thank you,

The Collectors' Society"

I know from my experience running a website, you delete posts at the peril of losing members - not something I like to do, and certianly not something a for profit company likes to do.
I agree. Why don't the people who don't like these posts ask for censorship? Just tell those journal posters to take a hike (like some forums did).

i say get rid of all slabs but ngc!!!!!

it is very tru that they r being nice even letting pcgs slabs in .

as a business man i know i wouldnt want to advertise the "enemies" product. and in biz it is war.

i also think that pcgs slabs should get 1 point a pc no matter the coin. or even a no point being this is A NGC site!but for now im letting this be my last thaught about this subject.

remember this is only my opinion smile.gif

• Administrator
No, I do not have to read them, however they are right there in my face when I log-in and have to scroll down through them to get to the registry information.

This will change with the next version release of Collectors Society which is very close.

No, I do not have to read them, however they are right there in my face when I log-in and have to scroll down through them to get to the registry information.

This will change with the next version release of Collectors Society which is very close.

Fantastic

headbang.gif

Why do people expect NGC to allow these other TPG in their registry at all. Just be happy that they allow even PCGS at full point value and stop the madness.

These are the same "type" of people that show up in the photographer world, and everywhere else. A new professional camera comes out, then a new amateur similarity. People buy it because it is cheaper, knowing the product going in. Then they write all this stuff about how it doesn't have the metal body, the image quality, the response time, etc., etrc., ad nauseum. makepoint.gif

They are everywhere. It's the "me" generation. Or, should I call it the "give me more" generation? Christo_pull_hair.gif

They are everywhere. It's the "me" generation. Or, should I call it the "give me more" generation? Christo_pull_hair.gif

I hear ya, brother.

I think the Registries exsist to generate more buisness for the TPGs. For example, I have a complete (no proofs) collection of Jefferson nickels in a Dansco album. But in order to compete for the Registry I would have to fork-over four or five hundred dollars in grading fees.

I think NGC allowing PCGS into their registry is a way for them to play "good cop" that is to say by allowing PCGS into their registry, NGC makes people think "well, since NGC allows PCGS in their registry, I will use the NGC registry." later, that same person will think "well, I have these coins I need slabbed for my registry set. since I'm using NGC's registry, I might as well send them to NGC to be slabbed."

I have these coins I need slabbed for my registry set. since I'm using NGC's registry, I might as well send them to NGC to be slabbed.

Just one flaw in your theory ....

Wouldn't they be better off just buying PCGS slabs as they can apply it in TWO registries (NGC and PCGS)?

I think that by NGC allowing PCGS in the registry it is win-win for the registry participant, but a double-sided sword for NGC.

After re-reading Dena's comment, I have to wonder if NGC will dump the PCGS part of the registry. After all, the cry baby stuff they pulled on NGC over "First Strike" was the most childish thing I've seen.

On the other hand, it may have been a blessing. Early Release is a much truer statement.

Will it never end?

• Administrator
After re-reading Dena's comment, I have to wonder if NGC will dump the PCGS part of the registry.

I'm sorry if my comment was misleading...I meant that the way journal entries are displayed will be significantly different in the new version.