• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Metal Detecting 101 -- Got Questions?

245 posts in this topic

Irvin,

Thanks for sharing those video clips, that was an amazing find, such a variety of coins and an interesting metal detecting story. And to think Culpepper County Virginia is the county next to mine, hmmm, maybe I ought to get out there and begin looking.

Rey

Your welcome there Rey and i thought that was in your neck of the woods. Amazing that the coin purse had so much in it. Although i grimaced when i saw the photographer drop one of the coins doh! Good to see you posting my friend. :hi:

Hi all been out detecting today and i am just editing a video for the collectors society people only .. dont want UK people to be able to view it so i am going to make it Friends only viewing .. so if you would like to see the video please post your intrest hear and i will "allow" you ..and also as i am letting people see the signal numbers on my Garret machine and my "custom" settings

here are a couple of finds from today

(got a roman also) :acclaim:

Nice little hammered .. you can have a go at identifying it if you like

Liz.jpg

lizr.jpg

Nice bit of silver

17thapril.jpg

nice one dooly !

Cool stuff there Dooly. I decided to do a little in my backyard of my new house. The house was built in 78' and so far I've found .51. What neat is most have been in the sixties just after silver tho'. This was an interesting find for me today tho' is why I'm posting it.

Palmolivepeettoken.jpg

A little info I found dating the name:

In 1898, in the western United States, the B. J. Johnson Soap Company began to make a soap entirely of palm and olive oil. The advertised advantage of this soap was that it floated. The soap was popular enough that in 1916 the Johnson brothers renamed their company after it - Palmolive. In 1926 the Peet Brothers' soap company merged with Palmolive to become Palmolive-Peet. In 1928, Palmolive-Peet merged with the Colgate Company to create the Colgate-Palmolive-Peet Company. For many year after 1928 Octagon Soap was produced by Colgate-Palmolive-Peet.

That's a neat find Bobby. You move to Waskom? Your within 20 miles of me now. We will have to get together and have lunch on me. (thumbs u

I would some day like to buy a metal detector. What is a good but not to expensive brand or model? Another question. Can these detectors be submerged in shallow water say at the beach?

To tell ya the truth Carl, I've had good experience with my Garret1500 but it's a $1500 detector. Doesn't have ya spending alot of time picking up junk. The coils on most detectors are waterproof and can be submerged in water. I know they have some cheaper detectors and some swear by them but I don't know much about them. Take care my friend and good luck.

Thanks for the information Bobby. I would love the have a good metal detector and I know Garrett is a good brand. $1500.00 is just to steep for me right now. Maybe I can find a good used model.

Thanks for the information Bobby. I would love the have a good metal detector and I know Garrett is a good brand. $1500.00 is just to steep for me right now. Maybe I can find a good used model.

Carl, if ya don't mind used, I actually got mine for about half price on the bay. I've had it for about 4-5yrs now and not one problem with it.

I don't dig in parks on on school grounds. I use a screwdriver to find my hits. I've had more than one groundskeeper tell me hes glad that I'm not digging up the place or he would have to ask me to leave.

Hi all .. sorry for not being online for a while .. but hear is a video for all you budding

Garrett owners out there .. i have used the 300 Ace , 500 Ace, 550 Ace (good machine) 1250 GTA Euro, 1300 and the 1500 and i rate the 1250 Euro the best value for money and usability .. check out this video and my latest one form this weekend and see what you think

if you would like some advice in the custom programs i have found to work with this program please ask .. only to happy to help my american friend ..

all the best dooly "the daft Englishman"

i think i may give this a try. many abandoned older properties in my area, not to mention beaches which probably have been combed. there are old parts of town that remained loyalist during the revolutionary war. might be promising.

I got a metal detector a few days ago. I will be trying it out in a few weeks. I gotta find a sturdy bag to hold all of the gold.

I got a metal detector a few days ago. I will be trying it out in a few weeks. I gotta find a sturdy bag to hold all of the gold.

If u get too much I'll find a bag here to hold it and u can just send it to me. lol Good luck!

If u get too much I'll find a bag here to hold it and u can just send it to me. lol Good luck!

lol Thanks! :)

Hi, Gedis3:

Thank you for taking the time to post your info, I just joined an I look foward to reading more from your post.

Lou63 I also detect . Thanx again !

I wish the OP was still posting here. He is in the same location as I am now and I have an itching to do some detecting at a civil war battle sight that we studied last week. It is off the beaten path and not even marked so not too many people even know where it is. If anyone is in the Columbia, SC and interested send me a PM and my son and I could go along to help out as diggers...he wants a metal detector for Christmas but we don't have anything yet.

mtnstyne, that will be a great gift your son will never forget. My dad bought me a Whites for Christmas when I was 12, we searched high and low for many years, I have three cigar boxes of old coins, mostly wheaties and buffs, probably about $10 dollars in face silver, tons of buttons and medals. Nothing of major value, but the time spent with my Dad was priceless, he passed away in 2002, but I always remember the numerous outings with the ole metal detector. I have been thinking seriously on buying a newer model and getting back into the game, i could stand to lose a few pounds and so could my pooch. I hope you and your son have as much fan as my dad and i did, good luck, brady c

I took my Whites up into the canyon here at Ft Huachuca (southern Arizona). The detector went nuts several times but i wasnt able to find anything. I think there must be some misc ore in the rocks I was digging up. Im still on the hunt.