• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Metal Detecting 101 -- Got Questions?

245 posts in this topic

Hey! No napping on my thread! smile.gif

... I was wondering where dooly was with the rest of the story reveal -- he probably hit a hoard of Roman Gold in his side yard and has been busy dealing with the government... they are real bears over there about large finds.

In the mean time read this little US metal detecting tale from a little while back...

The Mohawk Valley Hoard

Well for 2007 so far I've found about $2.00 in modern change. Maybe I'll get luckier this year. Last year I found about $2.00 the whole yr with one being a 1919 wheatback. Pretty bad shape tho'.

I'll just lurk on this thread for the next 6-8 weeks or so. We have about 24"+ of snow on the ground. After that I'll pick up a detector and let you know if I found any treasures.

I'll be watching and waiting -- your property has TONS of potential for good finds, I'm sure you will find something that will be worth the effort, probably lots of somethings.

Sounds like you have the research/history bug already too, which is great for passing time when the ground is frozen and you can't dig. Spend the winter researching and scoping out potential spots, then hit the ground running after the spring thaw!

20% or so of Metal Detecting is finding the spots, if you can do that part when there is no way to dig, it leaves you more time to hit the field when you can.

See if there is a Metal Detecting club in your area. There isn't one where I live, so I "Lone Wolf" it most of the time -- but finding a buddy to show you the ropes, and maybe even lend you a detector to try out, might make the learning curve a bit less steep. Also some good Metal Detecting magazines on the market -- look for "Western and Eastern Treasures" and "Lost Treasure" at the newsstand... they are chocked with tips, and seeing other people's finds will keep you fired up.

Still waiting for all the snow to melt and then a few weeks after that the ground might dry up enough to walk around. We're down to less than 6 inches of snow on the ground, but a little more is expected tomorrow into Saturday. I've started looking into some detectors, secured a good resource with our county historical society, and have been able to guesstimate the old lay-out of the wheelrights, farms, and houses that were around my property back in the 1700-1800s. I've even have a rough idea about where some of the main indian trails and old wagon paths are. I've found out more than I really ever wanted to know in the first place.

Woops sorry gedis3 i have been scanning and preping for my next sale on ebay!

the coin is a Vep corf Silver unit from the Corieltauvi tribe/area of linconshire Mid to Late 1st Century B.C.

Did you see this one which was found at the same time ?

1701148-9.jpg

1701148-9.jpg.a648dcf0cad1d27e8dfe561bce414547.jpg

Al -- All that knowledge will pay off... you have much bigger jump than most people have when heading out on a hunt. Most of the time you have to eyeball things to try and figure out what is what and where it is and lose a lot fo time to trial and error. If you can narrow that information down before you get in the field, it gives you more time to actually hunt, which gives you a better chance at finding something.

dooly -- Saw that cut down on your other thread, I'm clueless on that one. Glad I got close on the Celtic piece. 3000 year old silver. Bah! I'll take a wheatie over that any day! lol

Al -- All that knowledge will pay off... you have much bigger jump than most people have when heading out on a hunt. Most of the time you have to eyeball things to try and figure out what is what and where it is and lose a lot fo time to trial and error. If you can narrow that information down before you get in the field, it gives you more time to actually hunt, which gives you a better chance at finding something.

As fortune may have they just updated the weather forecast (eye-witness apparently) and it started snowing pretty hard a few minutes ago, wasn't supposed to start until tomorrow morning. Anyway now I have 10-12 inches to look forward to instead of the few inches they were initially calling for ... probably will add a week or so to the melt time, so I'll have some additional time on my hands for more research.

Yes you did do well on the Celtic.. screwy.gifWheatie over celtic screwy.gif

Now if you were talking about an MS 1800's 50c even i could be tempted.. popcorn.gif

or a nice Shield DD thumbsup2.gif

The hammered in the picture is a :-

King cnut, 1016-1035 Long cross penny (now a half penny)

Quatrefoil type/ Scandinavian type

Now classed as a copy of a type of King AEthelred II has been listed for many years amongst the english coins of Cnut. it is now reconised as a Scandinavian issue despite the apparently English mints of the coin.

Coin date 1014-1016

Obv: CNUT REX (ANGLOX) Small cross below face is not usual and i have not found another yet but are recorded on short cross types

Rev: LIIC XIU (?) probably Mint of Lincon & Moneyer of Iustein

1701396-91.jpghi.gif

1701396-91.jpg.f7a898c42e4807a206061267816f7b1c.jpg

OK OK... I give up.

I'm going to sell my car, pack my old Garrett and buy a plane ticket to the UK...

Will you drag me around if I buy the Pints at the end of the day? smile.gif

Seriously, someday I'm going to make it over there... might have to hit the lottery first, but I'll get me some of that 3000 year old silver before I die.

Dooly - Are there any special laws and regulations that you know of regarding metal detecting in Europe? I get to Germany and Italy at least once a year, and the UK about every other.

I'm sure Dooly will go into more detail, the only thing I can think of right off that is majorly different from here in the States is that in the UK, if you find a hoard that is historically significant and/or worth more than a certain value, you are required to report it to the government under the Treasure Act of 1996. Here's a link:

UK Treasure Law

hi.gif Hi all

There are a few rules in the uk but if you have pemision from the landowner you can almost detect anywere... you need no permision to detect on beaches..

As for the finds you only have to declare it if it is made of more than 10% precious metal and over 300 years old .. anything else is for you and the landowner to split..

most uk farmers are not realy bothered and let you keep the finds.

if you do send it in and a museum want it you are given the full market value..

If not you get it back and can do what you want with it..

if you find a single coin over 300 years old you dont have to declare it

As for europe there are different rules all over .. France no detecting any war areas

Spain is getting more and more rules

irland is the best .. you can own a detector but you cannot use it !! 893whatthe.gif

Bring it on Gedis3

you dont know how much us Gordies can drink!!!!!! 893applaud-thumb.gif

If you are ever in my neck of the woods you are more than welcome to detect with me. just make sure you have an empty case to take all the finds back to the USA.

Sorry i have not responded to this thred for so long but the weather has finaly cleared hear in the uk so i have had a canny day today...

Hear are the coins found today

I could tell you what they are but "lets have a Quiz"

Q1: Which two are NOT English Coins ? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Q2: Which Two are NOT coins ? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Q3: Which is the oldest coin ? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Q4: Which is the Rarest Silver hammerd coin ? (Not Value) 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Q5: Which King is the Obv: of coin 9 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

The first to awnser all the questions correctley will be sent the oldest coin in the lot 893applaud-thumb.gif

Fancy a go !!!!!!! juggle.gif

1728182-1stapril2007.jpg

893applaud-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif

1728182-1stapril2007.jpg.00664d520aab8bcf81dca63a7ee38b9d.jpg