• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1886 IHC mechanical error?

3 posts in this topic

Hi guys. As you can tell I'm new to the boards but must admit to lurking the past couple months. After reading the boards here and over there I feel more comfortable and confident in presenting my questions here. I just got this IHC back and I'm pretty sure it is a type 2. My questions are:

1. Should I send it back for reholdering? Will they charge me again?

2. If I don't reholder it would I have a hard time selling it?

3. Any opinions of the coin would be much appreciated.

220173-scan0004.jpg.d321b756f2c6d50a9756cba4cc85c598.jpg

The coin is a Type-2.

Since it is a PCGS coin, I don't know what their requirements are. I know that NGC would fix their mistake for free.

My guess is that you send it back to PCGS under their "Mechanical Error" service and clearly note that the coin is a T-2 and not T-1 as slabbed. In a short 3 months you'll have your coins back in a new slab with the correct variety. No charge for the service, but you will have to pay postage both ways (unless you want to deal with their customer service zombies).

You will have a harder time selling the coin since it is mislabeled. Easier to get it fixed than deal with people who don't know T1/T2.

The photo is too bright to give a good opinion.

Greg- thanks for the reply. Your experience and opinions are appreciated. I will probably wait until PCGS is at a local show and have them reholder it same-day.