• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1879-CC Capped Die: Add to Morgan Registry?

5 posts in this topic

I've noted that virtually all of the Morgan Dollar varieties listed in the CDN are also part of the NGC Morgan Registry, with the exception of the 1879CC capped die. My question is (1) why is it not a Registry coin and (2) any possibility or plan of adding this coin to the Registry?

Thanks

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

The reasoning for not including it is that the Capped CC variety is more common and thus worth less than the normal CC coins. It therefore adds no value to the set.

David,

I'm always in the listening mode to learn more about coins. I do find your comment about the capped die version being "more common", quite different than my experience in the market.

John Highfill stated in his book that "the capped die is twice as scarce in all BU grades and is currently 10 times as rare in MS65"....."This coin is also very scarce in circulated condition". The value of the capped die variety is very close to the perfect die, indicating that the capped die VAM 3 variety is not nearly as "price discounted" as Van Allen and Mallis might have believed when the 4th edition was published in 91.

Owning a capped die 1879 CC most definitely adds value to the set and is far more expensive than the 1880 CC, rev 78 VAM 4 which is a Registry Set coin, a strong indicator that the VAM 3 1879 CC is not as common.

Looking forward to hearing back from you.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

While the general preference of most Registry users has been toward fewer varieties, we can consider adding this one. Let me see if I can work up some numbers for it.