• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2006 W Silver American Eagles

7 posts in this topic

First one released directly from the Mint to the public (not through dealers). First uncirculated with the W Mint Mark. I didn't think they would start a new one but thought I would ask to confirm. I see now that it is included the the 1986-date NGC MS registry so guess there is the answer.

The 2006W ASE should be included in a set of American Silver Eagles as a different mint mark just as a complete set of Morgans include every mint mark.

I have purchased a 2006W for each of my complete NGC MS69 sets. So there are actually 23 coins in a complete set of 1986-2007.

What really gets my goat is Shop at Home trying to pass off coins as "Burnished Die" as though they are more valuable. It's the mint mark that makes the MS 2006W a different coin.

In the Proof Sets the Reverse Proof should be included to make up a complete set.

Just for the record, ShopAtHomeTV has its head up its *spoon* with respect to the ridiculous "Burnished Die" phraseology. This terminology is completely wrong and demonstrates a total lack of understanding as to the production process. Not surprising given The Coin Vault's frequently tenuous (and in many cases demonstrably premeditated) grasp on the facts.

It is the planchets, not the dies, that are burnished in the special 2006-W uncirculated bullion coin issues. Burnishing involves bombarding the surface to be processed with (in this case) a stream of small steel pellets. Each planchet is processed in this manner prior to being struck. This is what results in the somewhat smoother satiny finish of these coins as compared to their bullion counterparts.

Beijim

I'm still trying to find out if all 2006W Silver Eagles MS coins were burnished. I beleive that they all were regrdless if you bought them in a silver gold set or a three piece set or as a single coin for $19.95.

In the Mints description of the uncirculated coin on the three piece set and the two piece set it states:

Note:

The American Silver Eagle Uncirculated Coin will also be available as an individual option beginning September 28, 2006. This coin will be minted to demand.

To me that means all 2006W uncirculated coins are burnished and no special designation should be given the way the Coin Vault is trying to do with increased prices for thier ":Burnished" Eagles."

Only the 2006-W coins sold by the Mint directly were burnished. I have a few "white" uncirculated silver Eagles that were definitely not burnished.

Scott hi.gif