• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Week #12 - Drum roll please...

32 posts in this topic

• Administrator

What was the first U.S. Coin to bear a portrait of a US President?

First post that correctly answers the above question wins 3 FREE NGC Earlybird submissions.

Don't forget, we also draw for a runner-up prize from all posts with a correct answer.

Good Luck!

REMINDER: The Numisma-Quest ends/ended on Saturday at midnight EST. Entries after that time will not be valid. See the Trivia Info post for more details.

When you post your answer, only the administrators can see it. Stop back each Monday. We will make all the posts visible and announce the winners.

Ohhhhhhhhhhh I bet I wasn't the first and sorry I changed my answer but the first was a guess and the second I know is true. Hopefully it still counts. Plllllllllleeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaasssssssssseeeeeeeeeee let it count!!!!!!!

Washington Cent - 1783

Obverse: Large laureated bust of Washington, draped, facing left. Legend: "WASHINGTON & INDEPENDENCE 1783."

Reverse: A figure of a female, facing left, seated upon a rock; right hand holds an olive branch; left, staff of liberty, with cap. Legend: "UNITED STATES." Exergue: T. W. T. E. S. Border, beaded; edge, plain; size, 17 1/2; weight, 120 grains. Two obverse and three reverse dies.

Hi Dena,

To late to change my answer? I believe it was the 1903 Gold Commemorative for the Louisanna Purchase (McKinly $ Jefferson).

Fired from the hip too quick on the first answer.

Doug

I want to change my answer. Please ignore my earlier entry.

That the 1900 Lafayette commemorative silver dollar was the first U.S. coin to bear the portrait of an American, and the first to bear the portrait of a President of the United States. Washington and Lafayette both appeared on the coin.

Depends on what you call a U.S. coin. For a regular coin that would be a Lincoln cent. If you are including Commemorative coins The 1900 Lafayette Dollar would be it Are you including Hard time tokens or civil waar tokens] or how about pieces that were issused before the mint was established? If so there were items issed whith Washingtons Face on alot of them> CHRIS

• Administrator

The question:

What was the first U.S. Coin to bear a portrait of a US President?

The answer:

1900 Lafayette commemorative silver dollar

The winner is EVillageProwler!

Your prize is a certificate for 3 Free NGC Earlybird submissions.

The winner of the drawing from all the remaining contestants who answered correctly.....Phoenix!

Your prize is the Intercept Shield Double Protection Box System (holds 10 graded coins).

Prizes will be sent out ASAP.

Thanks to all! smile.gif

Awesome!! Thank you!!! laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif I love numisma-quest. Not only something to look forward to on Friday besides a weekend but something you definitely don't get at the other boards!!

• Administrator

EVP,

Earlybird Submissions refers to our Earlybird Grading Tier.

It is a $28 per coin service (Of course you are entitled to 3 FREE under this service). Coins submitted under the Earlybird service are completed within approximately 12 Working Days. You may submit any U.S./World coins valued at $5,000 or less for this service.

I will send you a submission form along with your certificate. You can use the certificate whenever you like.

Dena