• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NGC Adds Low-Price Service for Modern Coins

30 posts in this topic

• Administrator

Applicable to Coins 1955 to Date

What do you think of the new modern tier?

Check out all the details in the article on the Collectors Society home page.

How was the 1955 date chosen? It seems odd. I can understand 1958 (Memorial cent), 1938 (Jefferson nickel), 1946 (Roosevelt dime), 1948 (Franklin half), or even something horribly as late as 1964 (Kennedy), but 1955 appears to me to have no numismatic relevance as far as I can tell. Just curious.

Have you considered allowing entire coin design that fall halfway thru this date line to qualify for this price tier? For example, some people might dislike having to pay $15 for a 1954 Franklin, while a 1955 Franklin is only $11.

I was always hoping that either NGC or that other lesser service would do the break off as a coin design, not a date (for example: allow all Franklins and Kennedys for the halves and Jeffersons for the nickels, but only the Memorial reverse Lincolns - not Wheat reverse Lincolns, etc). I know there are many stupid people out there that this would confuse, but I always liked this idea.

BTW, it looks like someone posted this announcement on that other message board. How could they? tongue.giftongue.giftongue.gif

Greg,

I was also confused by the 1955 demarcation. Seems a bit too arbitrary to me. Anyway, I like your idea of identifying moderns by an entire design.

How 'bout this idea -- that we base ``modern'' by the median (or mean) age of the typical US collector. Suppose that age is 35. That means that he was born in 1967. Modern, for him, would be what was produced during his time: Memorial 1c, Jeff 5c, clad Roosie 10c, clad GW 25c, JFK 50c (and Ike's, SBA's and Sac's).

Of course, NGC can adjust what ``modern'' means when appropriate.

EVP

• Administrator

RWW

We are updating the online form to include the Modern Tier option. It will take a couple of days.

Dena

Now that the Modern tier is a GREAT reality, how about considering a Super-Economy tier? Something for coins valued under $75. Maybe a 20 coin minimum and a 60 day turnaround for $7 a coin?

BTW, crack that whip on Arch to get that updated online submission form up faster. I've got modern coins to submit to you guys!!!

• Administrator

Hi everybody.

Here is an explanation of the reasoning behind choosing 1955 as a starting point for the new Modern Tier...

Careful consideration was given in choosing a starting point for NGC's new Modern tier. Regardless of what year we chose, it could be considered somewhat arbitrary as there is no clear, logical choice. On the basis of logic only, we might have selected 1964 since this marks the beginning of the Kennedy series, or 1965 since that marks the first year that US circulating coinage was no longer produced in 90% silver, but we didn't think our customers would be satisfied with this so we went back to 1955 taking into consideration these points:

1) 1964 or 1965 wasn't adequate for our customers

2) 1955 marks the year in proof sets where the flat pack was born, and generally the quality of the coins improved around this time

3) 1950 was considered, but grading 1950 to 1954 proof coins can be a bit more challenging as the manufacture varies wildly and needs to be taken into consideration. Also, 1950 to 1954 proof coins in higher grades can be worth well over $300, which is the maximum and strictly enforced value limit of the new tier.

4) Not a major factor, but if we chose 1950, few would consider a Booker T. or Washington Carver Commemorative half dollar a modern coin

(30 working days or less, whenever possible)

What he really means is...... we aren't make any money on this.... so you will get them back when we feel like it!

Modern or Economy........... the real question is have you ever got them back before 30days? smile.gif

Spooly - I interpreted that as 30 days unless prevented by unusual circumstances - not "whenever we feel like it".

Lately, it takes PCGS longer to log a shipment in than the turnaround time is supposed to be - why the hard knock against NGC???

I do agree with you that they aren't making money on this tier, tho - ain't competition great! wink.gif

I submitted 9 coins using the Economy tier. They were sent using Registered and insured mail and were received by NGC on 5/2. They just arrived home to me today. So, from the time they got them to the time I got them back was 26 calendar days...that seems reasonable to me. I already have another batch of coins in to them for grading.

I think Braddick has all you guys worked up. What happened to everyones sense of humor! smile.gif

I give NGC Kudo's all the time, but that won't stop me from blasting them from time to time. (If it's needed) If you have to be a NGC hack to post here......... it's time to move on.

• Administrator

Actually, I can't speak for everyone, of course, but I appreciate Braddick's posts. I thing he's wrong as hell and couldn't catch a clue with a commercial fishing boat's net, but I appreciate his posts.

NONONOO!!! That was a joke!! I'm just kidding! I can kid, can't I? (grin/duck)

No seriously. Thought provoking and controversial statements are the life blood of a good message board community. If there's no one to dissent, then there's little to talk about. Additionally, if one person says it, you can bet that many people are thinking it. Having issues aired so that the whole community can have input into them rather than having them quietly molder in the dark is healthy, happy, and occasionally scrappy. And that's quite cool as long as no one gets personal about it.

Braddick is a topic-starter. He was almost born to it. (grin) He's got his own special brand of mojo and that ought to be respected. Topic starters are by nature contentious and controversial. If we all just sat around airing our view points sparking no further response than, "I disagree, but I respect your opinion." it wouldn't be much of a conversation.

For instance, I bet that Braddick thinks that he CAN catch a clue with a commercial fishing boat's net.

Okokok! I'll be nice. wink.gif

All kidding aside. I'm sincere when I say that your posts are fun, Braddick, and that your points probe into some of the more interesting parts of the hobby. In my opinion, the more light you shine on these topics, the better NGC looks anyway, but I'm more than willing to debate that.

Arch

Respect the Mojo

Spooly -

I have no problem whatsoever about complaining over those things that I need to and, on the other hand, praising the good stuff. I think NGC did a good job on turning around my coins on the Economy tier and said so. There are other things in the past that I've complained about (the mystery of the registry rating system, inconsistencies in the population numbers, questions regarding the grading over cameo vs. non-cameo coins) and in some cases I've received answers - in other cases, I've not.

Regardless, I still like the customer service and the general atmosphere on this board. There has been a lot of flying as of late (maybe its always been in the air, I've just managed to avoid it) on both boards and it does tend to make folks respond in kind - leading to lots of spleen venting. Let's face it - we're all here for one over-riding reason: we collect coins. NGC vs. PCGS vs. ANACS is a tempest in a teapot when compared to the stuff going on in the real world around us.

I collect coins for relaxation and education - the political stuff I just don't need. So, I've had my share of venting - I buy the coin and not the plastic, have lots a beautiful coins in all three types of slabs, and will continue to have FUN with the hobby. See the last word of my last sentance: HOBBY.

'nuff said...

All kidding aside. I'm sincere when I say that your posts are fun, Braddick, and that your points probe into some of the more interesting parts of the hobby. In my opinion, the more light you shine on these topics, the better NGC looks anyway, but I'm more than willing to debate that.

Certainly recent contentious threads, here and elsewhere, have shone a light on NGC, this site and its Registry.

In my opinion, all this publicity is good for NGC as well as PCGS. There is fervent argument on behalf of either of these two, and none really on behalf of the others. This tells me that it's a 2-horse race, and it's too close to tell which horse will cross the line first. Who's in the lead will depend on which leg of the race...

EVP

I think Braddick has all you guys worked up. What happened to everyones sense of humor! smile.gif

You have to include smilies if you want people to know it is humo. Even then a good percentage of people will still be so dense that they'll miss it.

I was wondering where Greg was hiding out - we certainly could have used some of his tempered, even handed responses earlier! wink.gif

uhhh - that was humor, shorty!

Greg, I had a smile at the end of my post. I would post more smiles and winks ......... but it's a pain in the butt on this board! mad.gif

• Administrator

Yah, it's not hard.

semi-colon parenthesis does this wink.gif

colon paren does this smile.gif

It's the old ascii code for these things before boards started putting in graphical versions of them.

There's a bunch of them listed in the FAQ

http://boards.collectors-society.com/faq_english.php?Cat=#html

cool.gif

Arch

• Administrator

Mmm, dunno. I'd have to look into it. It's likely there's some standard "add-on" for those if you've seen them on this exact same software...

Arch

Dena,

I noticed the list of services page shows the modern service teir but the on-line submission form does not. Is it going to be added to the form, and, do you know when that will take place? I have a nice group of coins to send in and I have been watching for it to appear.

• Administrator

The online submission form has been updated to include the modern service tier.

smile.gif