• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What You Need to Know: Digitally Matting Coins for Display Online

43 posts in this topic

That is a good set of instructions.

I would only suggestion would be for the third to last step where you have...

"In the SAVE FOR WEB dialogue, choose a quality level. I suggest JPEG High or JPEG Medium. When you've selected your quality, click SAVE."

In that step I would add that this is where you can see what the final file size is based on jpg quality. This is important while making images to be uploaded into the NGC Registry (120kb limit)

Also,

I use adobe elements photoshop 4.0 as is cost only $75 or $80. It doesn't matter whether or not the coin is centered in the photo. I am saying this only so folks don't scared off of the program or worry too much about centering their coin as I adjust it according to light.

A couple people here have said that PhotShop is overkill and all you need is Elements which is a lot cheaper and I agree that is true.

I would say however, that if you're able to put your hand on a copy of PhotoShop*, it is a worthwhile tool to learn if you are at all interested in bitmap image editing. Get good at it, get one of the certifications from Adobe, and poof! something to put on your resume.

*maybe you know someone who is in college and can buy it at their College Bookstore at academic price... big savings.

I use adobe elements photoshop 4.0 as is cost only $75 or $80. It doesn't matter whether or not the coin is centered in the photo. I am saying this only so folks don't scared off of the program or worry too much about centering their coin as I adjust it according to light.

I just bought Adopbe Elements 5.0 on ebay for $40.00. I noticed plenty at that price.

I recently purchased a new camera and have been struggling to have my pictures formatted properly. You have provided a lot of helpful information that will assist me using Paint.net as my photo software. Thanks, Michael! Look for results soon.

I do like collecting lincoln cents, Recently, I started on the RED/BROWN and I get a lot of YUCKKKKs, What the opinion out there on this?

Welcome utah. You may want to post this question in the "us coins" forum. Probably get more responses. BTW, welcome to the forum!

That's a great idea for individual coins. You'll definitely pick up a complementary background color. I for one, however, prefer one unifying color like black or deep blue for multiple coin presentations. I think black pulls out most coins the best. That's just my opinion, though.